Scholarships or Internships for Summer Terms

<p>Does anyone have knowledge of scholarships or internships for the Summer semester?
If son decides to attend Bama he would probably like to take a few classes during the summer terms, since he plans to double major and would like to be done in 4 years.
My daughter, who is now in graduate school, did not take classes during the summer because of the cost. However, she did research work for the university where she attended every summer. Do any of you have experience with working during the summer for the university and how competitive are summer internships or research work at Bama?</p>

<p>What is your son’s major? </p>

<p>My kids’ internships have been out of state or in our nometown.</p>

<p>He would like to do a Computer Engineering and Physics double major.</p>

<p>oops…hometown. That’s what I get for typing on my phone. :/</p>

<p>As you can imagine, all research opps are somewhat competitive on every campus. However, if you’re a top student, your chances are better.</p>

<p>To get summer research on Bama’s campus (as opposed to summer internships, REUs, etc elsewhere), a student would have to contact his profs and ask to be considered for a paid position during the summer.</p>

<p>That said, in the meantime, I would have my son take some needed lower division classes at his CC this summer. By reserving needed lower division classes for summer, a student can take those at their hometown CC. This would free up one’s school year schedules for more upper division classes. </p>

<p>An Eng’g major typically requires about 128 credits by itself, to add another major will be a challenge.</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer adding minors because then the student has more flexibiltiy to take desired classes, rather than required classes.</p>

<p>Chiming in here. The Engineering department should work with your son to help advise him with regards to doing an REU (Research for Undergraduates) or perhaps a Co-op. My son was very pleased with the time his professors took to help him sort through his options. He’s a freshman Chem E major and will be doing an REU at Duke this Summer. Not only will he be getting paid, but, he was offered course credit for it if he presents his experience to Freshmen Engineering students next semester…sweet!</p>

<p>One of the reason my son applied to Bama is because they already have a double major in place for Physics and Computer Engineering which, at least on paper, seems possible to achieve in 4 years</p>

<p>[Double</a> Major in Physics - Undergraduate Programs - Electrical and Computer Engineering - The College of Engineering - UA](<a href=“http://ece.eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/double-major-in-physics/]Double”>Double Major in Physics – Electrical and Computer Engineering | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>It is great to hear about the opportunity that some of the Bama students have.</p>

<p>Yes…REUs are awesome…my kids did them, too. But, usually you’re doing them on other campuses. It sounds like this mom was asking about opps on campus.</p>

<p>Yes, Bama has REUs on campus as well, but there’s a tendency to accept kids from “other campuses” since they’re funded by the NSF, Schools are supposed to accept from all over (few from your own school). </p>

<p>REUs are really cool opps. My kids still keep in contact with their REU buds and profs.</p>

<p>How did your kids get involved in REUs?
On campus or not on campus is not important. I am just trying to get an idea about opportunities that the students have during the summer. Being able to get credit for research is great. I know that my son will much rather take classes or do research than come home during the summer.</p>

<p>Around Jan/Feb timeframe, kids submit their apps to the REUs that interest them. The univs and programs for engineering are listed here…</p>

<p>[US</a> NSF - REU - List Result](<a href=“Search Results for REU Sites | NSF - National Science Foundation”>REU Sites | NSF - National Science Foundation)</p>

<p>There are other REU lists for other STEMs. <a href=“http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm[/url]”>http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Students generally need 2-3 LORs for these apps.</p>

<p>M2CK - Thanks for the link. Please, Clarify for me LORs???</p>

<p>Letters of Recs</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification</p>