Scholarships question

<p>Just heard the UA give very generous scholarships automatically. DS submitted the application for Computer Eng and request ACT to send the test result to UA yesterday.</p>

<p>DS stats:
GPA 3.9(weighted)
ACT 33</p>

<p>What kind of scholarship DS (OOS) could get?<br>
Just checked ACT website. It takes two weeks to send the test result to UA. I known Dec 1 deadline. Is this Dec 1 for admission application or for both admission and scholarship application?</p>

<p>Your son has to submit the scholarship app as well. In a day or two your son will get a follow up email with login instructions to MyBama… then he needs to submit the scholarship app.
It’s fine that his ACT score will be sent in a couple of weeks. As long as he’s applied and submitted the scholarship app before Dec 1, he’s fine. The school knows that you have no control over what ACT does.</p>

<p>You also need to send school transcript. </p>

<p>Now…this is what he’ll get:</p>

<p>TWO scholarships…</p>

<p>From the University…Presidential Scholarship…FULL Tuition for Four Years…including the OOS costs. The scholarship will increase in value as tuition increases. :)</p>

<p>From the College of Eng’g… $2500 per year.</p>

<p>So…total value of both scholarships…about $100k</p>

<p>No kidding! Congrats!</p>

<p>mom2collegekids, thank you so much for your reply.
DS got the instruction of scholarship application instruction from UA today.
I see you have 41k posting. You must help a lot of people. I am one of them.</p>

<p>Don’t forget to submit the scholarship application -checking off any appropriate boxes ASAP, but no later than the deadline. The University of Alabama has the very best guaranteed scholarships. The UA is an unbelievable find. Good Luck to your son.</p>

<p>Roll TIde</p>

<p>For currently enrolled students- should they be completing the scholarship application if they don’t qualify for any of the identified (check box) scholarships?</p>

<p>I guess it won’t hurt. maybe there’s a scholarship that hasn’t been listed yet.</p>

<p>DS made a 31 on ACT :(. His sister is there on Presidential. We are OOS. He is going into Liberal Arts and Science on a pre-law track. Should he declare a major now in hopes to get more scholarship from a department. He scored a 34 in English and 36 in Reading. (Obviously Math and Science are not his strong points so no Engineering for him!) Do you know if Econ, Poly Sci or English give scholarships? Do you know of any other options? I have read this forum pretty thoroughly and it does not look good … but hopefully!!! Thanks!</p>

<p>I know it’s frustrating when a student “just misses” the next scholarship benchmark. </p>

<p>Did he take the Nov SAT??? IF not, I would have him take the Dec tests (both) and then appeal to the school if he gets the 32 or 1400 SAT.</p>

<p>He could declare a major, but I don’t know if any will result in more scholarship money. From what I understand is this: Dept scholarships (except eng’g & talent) are given to students who don’t qualify for the bigger univ scholarships.</p>

<p>However, it won’t hurt to name a major from a dept that has scholarship money. I don’t know which depts those are. My guess is that many dept scholarships are given to current upper-division students - and they aren’t for very much money.</p>

<p>i think your best bet is retaking the tests and appealing to the school like mom suggested.</p>

<p>Update: D was accepted to UA on 11/9. We got the letter in US mail.
He submitted Honor College and Scholarship application yesterday and was admitted to HC today.
He was admitted to UMN and applying for UIUC and UIC.
Anxiously wait for scholarship. How long does it take usually?</p>

<p>You should be hearing about scholarships very soon. If you don’t hear soon, send an email to the scholarship office.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice! I will sign him up for December test
and hope for the best! He needs to declare a major soon anyway.</p>