Scholarships

<p>More college applicants are women (or at least 1 year ago they were). <a href=“http://voices.washingtonpost.com/college-inc/2010/01/college_gender_gap_stabilizing.html[/url]”>http://voices.washingtonpost.com/college-inc/2010/01/college_gender_gap_stabilizing.html&lt;/a&gt;
Because of this, more scholarships will be offered to the majority. (I do realize that they only offer scholarships to those more ‘talented,’ but in general the 'talented" and ‘untalented’ are divided according to ratio.)</p>

<p>Also, I know of at least 10 females who applied and none of them got anything (despite their almost perfect records).</p>

<p>I am not at all trying to say that what Purdue did was or was not discriminatory. What Purdue did just is, there may not be some underlying reason.</p>

<p>I don’t begrudge anyone their scholarships; however, if you know the situation personally between two students at one school it can be frustrating. One student at our DS’s school got $16K and my DS got $0 and we know their test scores, gpa and activities. When you are the parent of the student who got $0 you look for answers and they are hard to find and easy to speculate on. We are even more frustrated by Purdue’s apparent errors in this process…my DS got an invite to scholarship day but no scholarship. If we had been able to go to scholarship day I would have been much more mad about the money we would have spent to get there!</p>

<p>At least other schools of same caliber are coming through with $ and we have Michigan instate.</p>

<p>And about junk mail…yesterday he got a t-shirt…seriously does this go to every admitted student? He received a poster in a canister a few weeks ago. It went out in the trash.</p>

<p>What one sees as Marketing another sees as overkill and wasteful…sorry.</p>

<p>I was surprised to read how some families have received so much from Purdue as far as marketing goes. My daughter has been admitted but has received almost nothing from them as far as marketing - virtually no mail at all and definitely no posters, t-shirts etc. We were laughing the other day that we think they’ve forgotten about her because she hasn’t heard from them in ages. Strange!</p>

<p>@coffeebean17 - I think it might have to do with which school she applied to. Our D applied to the Engineering School, and some of the mailings have been specifically for engineering students.</p>

<p>I’ve gotten the poster but no tshirt. I actually have gotten the poster twice. I actually think I’ve gotten a lot of things twice. My parents are annoyed since we’re in-state, and they think it’s a waste of our tax money. I do agree that it’s silly that I’ve gotten many things twice. </p>

<p>And I’m going as an engineering major.</p>

<p>Has anybody out there gotten merit scholarships from the engineering school?</p>

<p>my friend who is valedictorian at a school of 200 students got $4000 from purdue but after february 15. I think he said it was leftover money from people who declined offers to go to purdue engineering? My other friend is a girl, salutatorian at the school of 200, and received $8000 before february 15.</p>

<p>Suebinor,
I think your theory might be right. My daughter’s not planning to major in engineering.</p>

<p>S admitted to Engineering School with trustees scholarship.
We are oos–not Indiana residents.</p>

<p>Just curious, CC’ers admitted to Purdue engineering with scholarships–are you Indiana residents? Wonder if they reserve largest portion for in-state… would make sense but just curious…</p>

<p>Since it is harder to get in OOS, I’d imagine it would be harder to get a good scholarship OOS</p>

<p>I’m instate and was admitted to engineering. I got an 8k presidential scholarship after February 15th.</p>

<p>We are OOS. Our son was admitted to engineering and received a $10,000 Presidential Scholarship in late January.</p>

<p>I wish I could give it to one of you here whose child deserves it just as much. He is declining the offer to attend our state flagship where he has earned enough merit adi to cover tuition and some room & board. Even with the $10,000 Purdue COA for OOS is too high for us.</p>

<p>Just to clarify my question, has anybody gotten merit scholarships from Engineering school - other than Trustees and Presidential? I’m wondering if they’ve been giving any “generic” merit scholarships.</p>

<p>Our son did get a scholarship award letter early March, after all! It was for a Presidential Scholarship, though not for the full $8000. We were absolutely thrilled, and most appreciative. We were also a little befuddled as we knew all the Pres. Scholarships, for Engr. anyway, were sent out by mid-Feb. and we were told all were for the full $8000. So… as speculated previously, this could have come from “left over” money from other students who had already declined, or from the “limited in number, merit scholarships with a financial-need component” we also applied for as we will have 2 in college next year! We did check on it, and were just told that it did come from Engr. funds, so it could have been either. Either way, we are extremely happy!
We have also been confused by Purdue’s marketing. We have also received the note card from the Dean of Engr. welcoming him - twice! - and the same w/the poster in the mailing tube. IU has sent frequent, VERY clever mailings (incl. striped scarf, Xmas and b-day personalized greetings, etc.). We do not agree that their marketing dept. has been brilliant! Would have enjoyed seeing him get a b-day greeting or the t-shirt!</p>

<p>Has anyone heard anything about Dean’s Award Merit scholarships from the College of Engineering?</p>

<p>Also, it was “Scholars’ Day”, not “scholarship day” at Purdue.</p>

<p>Was told by Fin. Aid office packages will be sent out sometime in early April. Son said website said by April 1, but from talking w/them on the phone this past week, I wouldn’t bet it would be quite that quick!</p>

<p>Yeahh they need to hurry it up with those FA packages, we only have til May 1st to decide</p>

<p>would someone update on beering scholarship interview and outcome. thanks.</p>

<p>Somebody asked me the other day if my daughter ended up getting a Beering, and when I said “no” she asked me who did get them. I realized I had no idea, and so when I got home, I tried to look it up online. I’ve been unable to find anything about this year’s Beering winners. I’d be curious to see what kids won. Does anybody out there know anything about the 2011 winners?</p>