Scholarships

I was accepted to Purdue today, however, I am curious if I would’ve been notified if I received any merit scholarships? or would i find out at a later time?

Merit scholarship info: http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/costsandfinaid/freshman.php . The Trustees and Presidential Scholarships send out notification “by mid-February”.

My D was accepted Jan 15 and we received notification of her presidential scholarship of 10,000 per year today via email

received the Presidential Scholarship on Friday. Does anyone know if there are any possible departmental scholarships that may still be coming? OOS FYE. Makes a huge difference obviously.

I was admitted EA on January 15, but have heard nothing about any scholarships. Does this mean I did not receive anything, or has not everyone heard yet? Congrats to all those accepted and receiving scholarships!

No word for my in-state son. He was accepted FYE. So far, the only kids that we know who have heard about merit aid are non-engineering students. Has any FYE kids heard about merit aid?

Houndstooth Harry is First Year Engineering (see above).

We are also in the waiting pattern, @GaelRacer . My son is Engineering. We live out of state. I posted in the Early Action thread but I’ll repeat his stats (1580 SAT, 3.9 GPA UW, sports, volunteers, etc). According to Purdue’s data is in 99%ile. I understand Merit is a “holistic” approach. Still hoping his academic merits will be recognized. And he comes from a big Purdue Alumni family…maybe that hurts for Merit scholarships (?).

I’ve only seen out of state people posting they received scholarships. Hopefully , you’ll get good news soon!

We are still hopeful @5Dis. My son is in state FYE and has similar stats (1540, 34 ACT with a couple of 36s, 392 UW, lots of APs, etc.). He is a NMS Semi-finalist and has several OOS full -rides. Even though Purdue is our state school, it will likely be his most expensive public option. We had the same issue with his older sister, much cheaper to go OOS!

We are in state and my daughters bf is fye and received $4000. My D got nothing, she is kinesiology and has basically same stats as her bf and has more leadership,service, and activities. Don’t really understand but oh well.

We called the admissions office and they said that scholarships are going to continue to roll out from now until mid-February - not all scholarships that will be given have been given. Hope this helps relieve some stress!

@ksnow18 , it will be interesting to see if anyone else posts about receiving scholarships. There were quite a few who received them Friday & now nothing.

Anyone seen anything on departmental scholarships this week?

No scholarships so far for my son. GPA 4.0 ACT 35. SO it college credit courses. EX’s and leadership. Volunteers and works full time in the summer. Just accepted in the honors program OO S.

I don’t think the scholarships are coming, ambkeegan. My son had stats as good as or better than my daughter who applied two years ago. 4.25 GPA weighted, 34 ACT, 750s SAT, tons of AP and honors classes, volunteer, work in summer, etc. etc. They offered my daughter Pres scholarship. They offered my son zero, zilch, zip, nada. (Correction: they offered loans. Big whoop). I think he is a victim of “holistic review” of his application for scholarships (translation: it’s not just about stats – they give more or less weight to whatever slot they want to fill, e.g., more women, more minorities, more international.) I know I sound like sour grapes, but I believe my son would have been offered a scholarship if he was female. I know of a male student with a perfect ACT and other stats etc as good as my son and he got zero zip zilch as well from Purdue. It’s kind of sad because he’s worked so hard for so long and Purdue is basically saying they don’t reward amazing students and don’t want to attract the best talent and the brightest minds.

I am so sorry you feel this way @MomofTwelve. I certainly hope you are not portraying this view to your daughter or your son. As someone who regularly has to evaluate recent college graduates for employment, I can tell you a “holistic” approach is in no way used to justify a desire to fill some kind of ‘quota’. We have definitely found those with the highest ‘stats’ are not always the best candidates; test scores do not define a person entirely. Believe it or not when evaluating an applicant seeing something other than the great test scores, and typical community service (which believe me starts to sound like the teachers in Charlie Brown after a while) is refreshing and can demonstrate out of box thinking, which is what most employers are looking for in this day and age. It would be a shame if your daughter felt that the only reason she received a scholarship was because she was female, or that your son feels somehow slighted because he is male.

Has anyone read the book “Lies, Damned Lies, and College Admissions”? It is a very interesting read, although I think the author goes a little overboard…
It talks a lot about “Holistic admission” and just exactly how admission is based on social tinkering for any particular college.

Without wanting to wade too far into the issue(s) raised in the last couple of posts, I have found this blog by Rick Clark, the Georgia Tech admissions director, to provide a useful perspective (or institutional justification) for selective admissions practices: http://pwp.gatech.edu/admission-blog/2017/05/16/admission-its-not-fair/. His main point is that “mission drives admission” – in other words, what the college or university sees as its purpose (as defined in its mission statement) is a guide to the type of students who are selected for admission. A more cynical person might view this blog as admissions-speak for saying, “We’ll admit whomever we want, with whatever credentials we want, and justify it any way we want, as a means of ‘fulfilling our mission’ as we define it.”

I hope that @MomofTwelve DID portray that view to his son because it’s a good life lesson: Life is not fair. You can get better scores, GPA, activities, etc. and still not be selected for the scholarship, school, job, whatever because sometimes very subjective “holistic” criteria is used in the selection process that isn’t within your control. It’s unfortunate that “holistic” criteria is used because it could be the result of the reviewer’s unconscious (or conscious) biases and prejudices. I prefer the more objective criteria of GPA and scores, number of AP classes taken, etc. because the entire purpose of these measures is to standardize the criteria so candidates can be objectively compared and rated/ranked between each other. Scholarship and application reviews that are blind to the candidates age, race, sex, nationality, religion, geographic residence, etc prevent the reviewer from unwittingly giving too much or too little preference to a candidate for reasons that don’t impact the predicted performance of the student. Although not perfect, these objective measures are highly correlated predictors of future academic success. I would think that organizations would want to depend more on objective selection criteria so they could prevent instances and accusations of (reverse or clear) sexism, racism, “good ol’ boy network”, and all other 'isms, preferences, biases, favoritism, partiality, intolerance, etc.

I was very disappointed with Purdue. our son has 35 ACT, 1570 SAT, 4.0 unweighted, number 1 in his class, NMF and took every AP class he could. He also has taken several college online classes. Has a ton of EC’s and volunteer work. He also lettered in one sport 4 years and in another sport for two years. Good enough athlete to have been offered several scholarships for that sport at other schools. Wants to be an Aerospace Engineer. He would have been the fourth generation to attend Purdue. We are out of state. Purdue only offered him a loan.

@MG100

We are in similar boat as you…son also received nothing in merit from Purdue & is planning to study aerospace. He has 1580 SAT, 3.9/4.0, perfect scores in Math, Physics, Chemistry, History, on SAT subjects. We are out of state. Both parents are Purdue graduates, as well as, uncles and aunts. Purdue was his second choice. We would have pushed him to go there if he had received a scholarship; it would have made the cost of attendance too good to pass up.