Scholarships?

<p>i got a letter this past saturday.</p>

<p>honors notifications take awhile..when i was receiving my acceptances two years ago, UM was the last to notify.</p>

<p>D got her honors letter in NY today.</p>

<p>Got my Honors invite in Jersey today!</p>

<p>Does anyone who only got the $16K ever get into honors? is it possible?</p>

<p>S got his honors invitation yesterday.</p>

<p>is this honors invitation to full tuition or to the honors programs?</p>

<p>i did early decision, got a 24k scholarship, 1340 SAT/97.6 unweighted or 103.2 weighted average</p>

<p>i also applied to the law program but i have no idea if i even have a chance with my SAT score</p>

<p>4.02 weighted, 3.53 unweighted, 1470 SAT</p>

<p>16k</p>

<p>3.9 Weighted 3.3 UW 30 Act Superscored, 1340 Sat</p>

<p>$0 Didn't necessarily expect merit scholarship, but I do need some assistance to go there. Possibly the notification on grants come later if I get lucky.</p>

<p>Would it completely burden you for the rest of your life if you have a $134,000 student loan on your shoulders?</p>

<p>DS got 11k in merit, he has 4.1 W, 33 ACT 1390 SAT, and it showed up with his acceptance letter. So go back and look in your packet, there might be another piece that you just didn't read.</p>

<p>yeah i'm kind of mad i didn't get a scholarship at UM. i know two people with very similar everythings to me except theirs SATs are a bit higher but i have much better EC's and they got money, but I got zero. putting miami behind.... Tulane for $20,000 per year</p>

<p>Achilles, on a $134,000 loan at 6.8% interest and a 2% origination fee and a 10 year payment plan you're looking at a $1,573.55 a month payment.
You would end up paying back $188,825.55 - a total of $54,825.55 in interest alone.
Extended repayment would cut the monthly payment by $682.14 (43.4%) by increasing the loan term to 30 years but would also increase the total interest paid over the life of the loan by $132,082.05 (240.9%), a factor of 3.41 increase.</p>

<p>"It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $188,826.00 to be able to afford to repay this loan"</p>

<p>That's right after graduation. </p>

<p>My opinion, coming from someone who is also in the same boat - it's not worth it.</p>

<p>So, what would you say a 3.8ish UW, 2100/32-33 SAT/ACT Top 7ish%(school does not tell us rank)
I'm an Eagle Scout, pretty good other ECs, active in community and church.</p>

<p>16k maybe...I'm hoping to raise GPA and ACT, hoping to get a 24K scholly, but I think it may be kind of a reach.</p>

<p>I'm looking to study abroad next year, my Junior year. I know this will an awesome experience, and will probably help for college, but I'm hesitant by how much it might hurt me. </p>

<p>Does UM and other colleges take into consideration that this may cause class rank, and GPA to dip a little? It would suck to be borderline scholly, and not get one or get a lower one.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Last year, UMiami had a nice chart of scholarships and the criteria to get each one. They had SAT/ACT score, class rank and GPA as the 3 criteria. This year the chart is there, but no criteria. I do know it is harder to get the scholarships this year, than last.
The top scholarship was a 4.0/top 1percent/34ACT criteria.
The 2/3 was 32ACT/top 2 percent (I think) and a 3.8(I think)
I think the class rank is key...if that helps, but you could always call an admissions counselor and see.</p>

<p>So does D's 94.22uw/114.66w GPA, 5/445 rank (.01124 is top 1%, yes?) and 34 ACT puts her in the mix for the top scholarship?</p>

<p>notan4me, I would think she is definitely in the running...great Stats, if she has some extracurriculars and volunteerism then I'm sure it will be at least 24,000 based on last year's charts</p>

<p>Did UM receive less apps this year because of the economic climate?</p>

<p>i got deans scholarship (16k) into the marketing program
white
male
3.5 gpa
31 act
school doesn't rank</p>

<p>pretty sure my scholarship was tied to my graphic design internships, freelancing, and working for free for charities since it ties in with the whole marketing thing</p>

<p>My S had a 3.5UW, 3.9W GPA and a 33 ACT and loads of ECs tied into his major and received no scholarships. So don't count on a scholarship just based on your stats. Quite honestly, I don't know how they are determined, really.</p>