Scholastic Bowl and WYSE

I have possible answers, but why do YOU think black students dont join academic teams? And will colleges find valuevin the fact that I am the only black student in my region (literally)?

It seems like such a generalization to make that assumption. Is there research to back it up? There are so many variables and I would venture to guess it varies by region.

I didn’t make any generalizations. I asked a question. Can you answer it?

You just said black students don’t join academic teams. That’s a generalization/stereotype. They might not be joining the mentioned groups in your region specifically. However, I just attended an academic STEM competition called TAME where at least 75% of participants were Black/Latinx. There are too many variables at hand like a lack of transportation, lack of resources, lack of outreach, etc. to make such a definite statement.

Hamlon, you’re absolutely right. From my observations at my school, the thing is that when black kids try to better themselves and step out of their comfort zones and be apart of things and around people they typically wouldn’t, they feel stupid compared to the others who share commonalities. I experience this first hand. I have nothing in common with the white kids on Scholastic Bowl and WYSE who come from parents that are professors and doctors. There’s no denying that they know more than me. They been exposed to so much more.So why do I, a black student, put myself through that, knowing that I don’t contribute much and the others see me as expendable. It’s because it’s good for me and that is what most underprivileged students aren’t aware of. You see we don’t have parents who encourage us to join extracurriculars because our parents don’t understand how important they are in the development of smart children. Our parents themselves grew up without and therefore can’t see the value in it. I surround myself with kids who are richer and smarter than me because I only hope that some of what they have can rub off on me. It’s a sacrifice of pride for students like me to be involved and many of haven’t been informed of the benefit and that’s why I think we are scarce. We have to figure and realise these things ourselves.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I commonly join activities that make me feel stupid (for fun!) because it means I’m growing. Don’t let those other kids fool you though. They occasionally feel stupid just like us. There’s always someone out there who know more than you about any topic. Find an interest, an obsession even, and explore it. You might be surprised how much more knowledgeable you are about any specific topic than most people. Try to get your peers interested in these activities. Make your own events/clubs! No reason why you can’t make an organization whose sole purpose is for the discussion of random topics or the exposure of members to ‘cultural enrichment’ (whatever that means because each of our backgrounds are valid).