School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

An infected kid at a party could easily infect 50 or 100 other kids. They’re all likely to be asymptomatic, at least for a few days if not weeks. In the meantime, they gather together with other kids in dorms, other places, or may be even other parties. That 50 or 100 cases become a few hundreds quickly. Now it becomes a major outbreak and the school may have to be shut down.

In switched my junior to AP Calc BC online starting in June. She will take the first semester over the summer and the second semester (still online) in the fall. We felt like she had the time this summer, it would be a class geared towards online, and some colleges will like to see that grade on her transcript when she applies. She is an IB student though, and had Math SL junior year and has Math HL next year.

This depends on how your child does with online learning in general.

Both my daughters took AP Calc AB (and D21 also just took AP Calc BC) through PA Homeschoolers Online AP Courses. PA Homeschoolers is a well-known entity in college admissions and with homeschoolers - their classes are high quality and their students tend to get almost all 4s and 5s.

Both daughters did very well in their courses. Before AP Calc AB, D23 had years of Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) math. AoPS’s students include nearly all the Math Olympiad finalists and winners. That too is a known entity with college admissions folks, it’s extremely high quality, and I’d argue the best organization out there at teaching math up to calculus. And it’s totally online.

So if that AP Calc course is taught by professionals who are used to offering high quality (lots of interaction, discussion boards where engaged kids post often and 24/7, attentive teachers, and interactive learning materials), then your daughter will be just fine.

That being said, if your daughter does not like online learning period, no matter how high the quality of the course, then an in-person cc class might be better. Of course, the cc might be online this fall anyway, so there’s that.

Will your office bring all 500 back in September?
Or will some or many be allowed, encouraged, or required to continue working remotely?
Will your office be modified to accommodate more social distancing for those who come into the office?
Do many of your co-workers live in high density group housing and have parties Thursday through Sunday evenings?

@1NJParent oh my goodness. I just said that kids are out at parties all of the time right now and we don’t see them dropping like flies. And, if the public health officials working with college presidents thought this would happen, do you think all of these schools would be planning to go back? I’m sure they are being realistic in their expectations that kids won’t be sitting around in masks at parties.

I’m really hoping that we as a society have learned something these past several months about taking ownership of our health and safety (social distancing, hand washing, not touching face, etc) so that we can lessen the impact and spread of this virus. I also hope that our government, administrators and businesses have a plan(s) to deal effectively with outbreaks and we don’t have to “shutdown” the economy again and borrow $ trillions to keep it afloat.

During these trying times we should expect the worse but hope for the best…

I don’t know about ND specifically, but normally the health department will give the university (or company) the courtesy of closing themselves. It would be very embarrassing for a school to be ordered to close.

Almost every school is relying on that state and federal experts for guidance because that’s where the data, experts, and modeling software are. It would be very difficult and a waste of resources for a school to create their own team to do it in house.

That’s probably what it’s going to come down to. His school is less than an hour drive from home so if he does choose to move then the next question becomes does he have to stay there or can he come home periodically? This past school year it worked out that he came home for the weekend about once a month for a variety of reasons.

A friend who is in university admin meetings planning for fall, said they are including a structure to expel students who break campus or local gov. social distancing regulations on or off campus.

All that means is that there was no single infected kid at these particular parties. Unfortunately, no one can guarantee that’d be the case everywhere in all the parties.

My office returns to work in person by June 1, and I expect the other companies that share the building do as well, @ucbalumnus. I have no idea what the social life is like for the hundreds in the building, but I would assume some are partying frequently, as that is common for young adults. I know many travel both domestically and internationally for work frequently.

The high school kids I know who had the virus caught it from their dads who travel often. They then spread it to each other, as likely will happen at college as well. I think we all expect the kids to be exposed and many will get it,perhaps asymptomatically. Very few will have complications.

School Staff can either choose to return or find work environments they prefer. For example, I imagine at least some pilots and flight attendants have changed jobs given the situation.

We are hearing rumors that D’s school will change the way move in is done. Usually all freshman (about 1000 kids) move in within a 5 hour period (you are given a time slot within that period to arrive). Not sure of the details but I think they are going to be spreading them out a lot more to avoid large numbers of kids and their parents arriving at once.

Before any student gets expelled usually there has to be a due process. How will they also police all that goes on off campus. If my daughter goes to a friends apartment and it turns out that there are 11 instead of 10 people there, she will just get expelled. ?Plus now the university has just probably lost tons more tuition and room and board. Now breaking the rules on campus or in the classrooms repetitively could make sense, and might just mean being expelled for the rest of the semester/year.

@1NJParent and those of you who think return to campus will be a disaster -

Do you think you’ve thought of scenarios that colleges themselves have not considered? Do you think university presidents are delusional and think all kids will walk around in masks 24x7 and not have parties? Do you think colleges are opening just because of their dire financial situations? Why do you think almost every school that has reported plans reports that they are making plans to go back to campus? Do you have no faith that they are doing the best they can to walk the line between safety and delivering the education that students and parents expect?

Why do you seem to know better than all of these universities who are working with public health officials?

I really believe that, if the public health officials and the epidemiologists working on this thought there would be giant outbreaks that could not be handled, all universities would have to listen to that advice. Remember, too, that universities have their own experts to look to for advice on these issues as well.

Which is why post-secondary institutions here in Ontario most likely will not be opening in-person.

@AlwaysMoving wrote:

Notre Dame may also be an extreme case where the college or university excercises a lot of sway on local authorities. I mean, what health department states categorically that they can foresee of no circumstances under which they would ask a business to close?

@gwnorth are most of those universities in urban areas? I do feel like we haven’t heard as much from American universities in urban areas. They seem to be waiting to decide for the most part. And, also, aren’t the schools in Ontario almost all off campus housing? If that’s true, then they already know kids are currently in their apartments or will come back to them. And then they will deliver instruction all online.

Many schools here have also said some (most?) classes will in remote with some exceptions depending on the school, and its size and location. The difference is that they house a larger percentage of students so that are trying to figure that part out. The Ontario schools can wash their hands of that if a huge majority live off campus.

@Gwnorth, given that the universities there are generally public and enormous (UT is over 60k kids) and do not feature the sports, etc of US college life, is it really much of a difference there? Are most UT lectures already online anyway?

delete

You’re conflating the issues. No one said students returning to their campuses will all be disasters. There WILL be outbreaks on some campuses. Some schools WILL shut down. If your kid is attending one of these schools, it will be a repeat of what happened back in March. It still may not be a disaster, but you should be prepared.

Let me ask you a few questions. Why don’t ALL the schools declare their students can go back to campus?Why has almost none of the schools with the most resources at their disposal declared their intentions? Don’t they all look at the same data? Could those decisions that have been made be premature? Do they really have plans in the event of outbreaks? Have they told you about their plans? Did you ask?