School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I was referring to a previous post that mentioned the tech department was still scrambling to put together a scheduling puzzle. So, at least one and possibly many?

Really not intended to be sarcastic. I would hope that colleges are busy planning internally for various scenarios. Perhaps not everyone is involved in that, but my experience tells me that organizations that over communicate internally during disaster-type events get more ideas resulting in better plans.

Colleges need direction from the state public health authorities first. I think that colleges in the coastal Northeast urban areas have a greater likelihood of going mostly online and having truncated physical access to campus. There is not going to be a “one size fits all” model for college education in the USA in 2020-21.

I just saw an internal spreadsheet from my university that documents numerous possible approaches with pros and cons, but until we know how many people will be legally allowed to gather in a room at one time in the state of New Jersey on Sept. 1, no decision can be made. The one thing the document did say was that full opening/business as usual is “extremely unlikely.”

I’ve read most of the new posts on this thread, but likely missed some, so forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. Why wouldn’t college professors be able to teach an additional section of a course in order to reduce classroom density for the fall semester? Is it a contract thing or a union thing? I understand that it would result in more hours worked, but what if they were then temporarily relieved of some other duties like research or writing requirements or committee responsibilities? Unusual times do call for unusual measures sometimes. And for instance in the private sector many white collar workers are being asked to do tasks outside of their usual responsibilities during this time and many companies have temporarily cut salaries of white collar workers 10%-30%. So the idea of doing more for less, cuts across many industries.

For the most part, saying your kid and his or friends will follow all rules and mandates to get back on campus in the fall is just not believable. It reminds me of every kid ever saying she’ll walk, feed and pick up after that puppy she “really really” wants. Sure, for the first week or so then not so much.
Yes, I know your kid won’t be the one to go rogue, but someone’s will and he or she won’t be alone.

Yes it’s a contract/union thing and it also puts non-tenured faculty at a disadvantage because their scholarship will have to go on the back burner (this is also a problem for professors who have external grants). The university can say it will lower the standards for tenure and promotion, but in reality that is just hot air and in this environment, if faculty don’t perform to pre-existing standards, they give cash-strapped administrations an excuse to cut. For example, most universities have departmental scholarship statements that outline the publishing and scholarly activity requirements for tenure and promotion. In the current environment, the university would have to suspend those expectations but there is a trust issue here, I believe.

A discount given due to a reduction in services will cause a budget gap that colleges will try to cover by reducing other services.

One of the things we

Just like not all kids are the same, not all colleges are the same. For some colleges, more severe penalties and enforcement may be needed if these rules are violated.

I was responding to what I’ve heard from many people including the poster I was responding to. I come tech - sophisticate multi-scenario scheduling applications exist. So are you saying that all schools have these capabilities and the posters school was just out of the norm?

With all the posts I’ve read on this thread from college employees of some type (not sure why they don’t identify the schools. I may have missed that) it is clear to me that there exists a “we have always done it this way so there must not be a better way” attitude. Couple that with the inflexible nature of union contracts and it will be a miracle if many schools will be ready for fall.

And yet the majority are saying they will.

And it won’t be because of a miracle.

It will be because of groups of highly educated, sophisticated, analytical and very hard working university staff and professors who are guided by facts, commitment to their mission and a passion for teaching.

Well this is Michigan’s take and a quote from the President of the University. To me, this says it all :

“If everyone is willing to wear a mask and everyone is willing to stay six feet apart, we can do lots of things, and we can do lots of things together,” Schlissel said. “If it turns out we don’t develop a culture where people take this adequately seriously and follow guidance, then we’ll be constrained in the kind of things we’re able to do.

…and maybe an unfulfilled desire for an IT department that lives in the 21st century?

We have been discussing this above. In addition to what you mention, here’s another thought. To some extent, the upper division courses tend to be smaller sections (i.e. not a density concern). But those are the courses largely taught by tenured faculty. It’s the intro courses (often largely taught by adjuncts) that are the larger sections.

Tenured faculty have contracts stating how many credits max they can be assigned. Assigning them sections of intro courses likely means ditching some of the upper level courses. There are also policies regarding how many credits they can give adjuncts without paying them “full time” wages, and right now they’re trying to figure out how to throw the adjuncts overboard to save $$.

Upshot - it’s complicated, like all the rest of it.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
Reminder that according to TOS, CC users agree to be respectful towards one another. Several posts deleted.

D got an email from her school tonight and shared it with me. It said they are looking to modify the semester schedule to take away the need/opportunity to travel away from campus, that they’re looking at modifications to their residential program to accommodate new needs, and also said that students should start practicing some of the required campus behaviors now, such as staying more than 6 ft from non-family, wearing masks every time they leave the house (even if able to avoid going near other people), and keeping a journal of everyone they come in contact with. They also mentioned having the ability for some students, faculty, and staff to stay remote. My D is committed to going if they are open, but it doesn’t sound worth the plane tickets to me personally. She’s an adult and can choose though- we don’t fund her education so I don’t feel we should have a say.

Well the majority of kids I know do commute to our local public straight from high school, very likely my top 1% 1590 SAT D will too. Guess I don’t live in a bubble.

I’m fairly certain we don’t line in the kind of bubble you think we do. My D was a Questbridge scholar- we aren’t funding any grand things. We have friends all across the country and all across the income spectrum. When I said bubble I only meant the world in which we know people personally. I know I can’t speak for people outside of that.

@milgymfam congrats on your D making Questbridge. We do live in a college town.

I’d put the chances of other Ivy athletic departments cutting Men’s Track and XC close to zero. This is really a shame for current and incoming athletes. I understand dropping 50 guys at once will help with Title IX issues, but this is a bad move for a bunch of reasons. I don’t see other Ivies following this path.

The local news in Syracuse tonight reported that Syracuse U will open Aug 24. The university is already testing wastewater treatment plants for covid and will continue as students return to campus. Researcher reported they feel they can get a one week alert of a hot spot in the making.

The news (local CBS affiliate) also said that the university will test all students when they return to campus, and that the university will have a residence hall for covid positive students.