School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

CF… Once again, thank you

Those snot-nosed brats at Lovett, and their horrible parents, are refusing to cooperate with health authorities. If they’re proud to spread disease, if they believe they did nothing wrong, why don’t they stand up and admit it? Gutless sociopaths.

But if it’s the case that “your mask protects me” then don’t I want YOU to wear a mask? That’s what I’m not getting here.

And we adjuncts didn’t even get an honorable mention.

Sylvan… Do you know yet whether you will have an online teaching option? I hope so.

In general are there not more adjuncts than positions? I thought there were many qualified to teach but they have to wait around for professors to retire?

Can colleges not offer a course by tenured professor via online and the same course by new adjunct in-person and let the students choose which course they want. There might be enough students that prefer not to return and prefer online. If there are not enough that sign up to take the online version then perhaps the professor can take leave until we have a vaccine or a cure.

Absolutely. There will be parties and get-togethers and few will want to isolate or quarantine. Even when threatened with the possibility of the school closing down, there won’t be compliance. Get a bunch of snowflakes together (“Oh, it won’t matter this one time” and “The rules don’t apply to mememe”) and it will become a blizzard!

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please remember to keep your posts specifically about school in the fall. This thread is going off-track.

I posted a link upthread about hiring freezes. Universities are trying to cut staff costs. Furloughs are expected. If someone retires , they will not be replaced.

This happened in 2008-2009. Some departments at some universities still don’t have staffing numbers they did in 2007.

eta… Locally I know two departments already starting fall short staffed because job searches were abruptly cancelled in March when stay at home began. These aren’t poor schools.

Yes, you want other people to wear masks, but some of those other people do not want to wear masks because they do not care enough about you. That is where the conflict comes from, and why mask wearing often comes down to either government rules or social pressure. Of course, some people do not like government rules or social pressure that try to make them do what they do not want to do.

Or, in the case of colleges, they may have mask rules for the purpose of getting students, faculty, and staff to help protect each other, when some would not otherwise have enough personal incentive to wear masks.

Perhaps economics instructors in colleges can use this as an example when talking about externalities.

I know that when my one kid went to register , they noticed a whole lot less classes already and was told that they would be adding more. Then the Pandemic occurred. A few more were added, but not as much as in years past. Now if any professors decide to not come back, not sure what will happen.

Yes. That is what I have determined based on my research. Kind of a waste of time to wear the cloth ones, but I’ll do it if I can’t get my hands on the surgical. Surgical are more effective.

I’m going to stock up for my D in the fall- for college.

Thank you, and I have 2 courses already contracted for the fall term. Not sure yet if they will be f2f or online or what. Won’t know about next Spring for awhile.

Every action a schools takes will either make it harder or easier to manage the covid Fall semester. Interesting to watch.

1. It may be true as a generality that there are more adjuncts than positions. We are not, contrary to popular opinion, all interchangeable. I adjunct for 2 departments, both of which have difficulty finding qualified adjuncts willing and available to teach in the desired schedule blocks.

2. As pointed out above, there are major budgeting disasters caused by the shutdowns. My school has a spending freeze and a hiring freeze, and any adjunct who did not have a Fall contract by April is not likely to get one. That means some departments will be short of their usual staffing, not garnering up new ones.

3. Many of the courses taught by adjuncts are intro level, first and second year. Despite my credentials, I would not consider myself qualified to teach many/most of the upper division specialty courses offered by either of my departments.

My son’s university said that a face mask / face covering is “required” for both indoor and outdoor within campuses including shuttles when they open in fall. They even sound like providing disposal masks and accepting personal cloth masks by individual choices but those cloth masks “must be washed everyday”. They are currently looking into an optional face shield as well.

At least, we feel safer with a mask-requiring announcement which is pretty much same public health standard as one we have here.

Prediction: If there isn’t a vaccine soon, the ranking publications will incorporate “Covid-19 Mitigation Plans” and “Online Teaching” as part of their evaluations.

And hopefully there will be definitive advice on cloth vs disposable masks vs face shields so colleges can use that.

You may, or may not be joking. :).

Yearstogo had a excellent and sensible suggestion imho, in post #5368, and I apologize for not acknowledging that in my reply. The focus is on budget concerns. I certainly don’t understand economics, especially for university planning, but it all seems short sighted to me. Especially when it involves schools hundreds of years old.

There has been a meme floating around for a few months that basically says:

Voted #1 online university by US News