School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Even if a tent classroom has to be enclosed so that it is not really “outdoors”, it is an extra classroom. A college that is trying to have social distancing in the classroom needs to schedule classes significantly smaller than the classroom size, so it would have a shortage of larger classrooms.

@melvin123 Per the Amherst email, “Taking full advantage of our beautiful late summer and fall New England weather, this earlier date allows us to hold as many classes as possible outdoors, which experts agree is safer than indoors, and to provide a unique learning experience at the same time… In an effort to schedule and encourage as many activities as possible—both academic and extracurricular—to take place out of doors, with proper distancing and safety protocols, we have ordered 20 tents that will be equipped with power and teaching technologies.”

@MaineLonghorn I believe there is now an indoor track at LeFrak Gymnasium.

Harvard’s President Lawrence Bacow in an interview on Bloomberg TV claimed that “[t]he online experience worked better than I think most of us expected… But far from perfect" and “[Harvard has] not made a decision yet whether or not to bring students back or how many to bring back, … [and is] trying to delay that as much as possible”.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-02/harvard-s-bacow-says-much-will-be-different-when-school-resumes

Harvard students would disagree with their presidents assessment of how online education worked.

I think what the last few posts tell me is that the wealthier LACs (and no one can argue that Amherst isn’t wealthy), unlike their rich, largely eastern, Ivy equivalents, realize they have a particular product that goes beyond mere certification; that they are good at it; and, that they are chomping at the bit to show what they can do even under the most strenuous of circumstances. It’s no wonder their (undergraduate) alum have such high giving rates.

This NYT piece about super spreaders is interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/opinion/coronavirus-superspreaders.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

There is a lot of good stuff in there, but this stuck out:

I’m sure colleges and their surrounding community health departments are focused on super spreader events. If colleges can limit the parties that turn into super spreader events, then a lot of the campus activities could resume.

Yes, and this will be a real culture change. “Suck it up, you’re not that sick” seems to be part of our work ethic.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-02/usc-announces-a-modified-return-to-campus-with-online-and-in-person-classes-and-fewer-people-in-dorms

Not to merge or go off topic but… I think we might have our social experiment with CV. Many and I mean many people were at protests in major cities (and smaller ones also). The majority of the people were wearing masks. Not really much social distancing if you looked at the marching. Age group probably like 18-35 is just my guess from looking on TV and talking to my daughter who was in one of the main Chicago ones.

It should be interesting in the next few weeks if we do or do not see spikes of CV. (Hope we don’t).

If we don’t I will feel a bit better about school in the fall. Our kids won’t be that shoulder to shoulder for hours with people (since no sports with audience).

Just thinking about this

@Knowsstuff I agree but we also had a lot of gatherings for Memorial Day and that was ten days ago. That was a test too and I haven’t heard of any big spikes that have made national news at least. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

The big difference is that college students will be with other students indoors and likely will not be wearing their masks. They also will be touching surfaces touched by other students. Contrast that with protesters that are 100% outside, the majority wearing masks and are not touching surfaces touched by others.

I think this theory of a “big spike” in CV-19 cases brought on by a few hundred protesters is flawed. We’ll see if I’m wrong in a few weeks.

We have 50 states with different approaches which should really be reported on more fully by the media; sadly, it doesn’t fit their agenda so it won’t be (panic sells and fear motivates). Georgia has been open for well over a month with no spike. Texas, Florida and South Carolina have all been substantially open as well. The CEO of Starwood Capital, Barry Sternlicht, who lives in Florida was recently on tv saying “Outside of New England, NY, NJ and the northeast, people are having very different experiences with covid” or something to that effect. He’s right. While MA and the rest of the northeast is locked down, the southern states have opened up. I have personally witnessed both aspects (having traveled to both Fl and SC in early May/end of April). Very very soft quarantine in both states compared to MA. Life felt almost normal in those states (dining inside in Fl while in MA restaurants are still not open even outside- and it is now June 3rd). I am advising my D21 to only consider schools in “open” states.

I have very aged parents, one with advanced cancer, living in Florida. Their lives have been far more normal, less fear mongering and panic, than the “smart set” in the northeast. It felt like prison to return back home. Very very sad.

When I read the guidelines put out by colleges for the fall semester all I can think is these kids are in for a big disappointment. They’re all so eager to get back no matter what, but reading how campus life will be different is one thing - experiencing it will be a real downer.
But it is what it is.

I fear the protests will cause Covid spikes. There’s just so many people, shoulder to shoulder, for hours and hours at a time. Social distancing is not possible and while there are a lot of masks it’s certainly not universal compliance. Heck I even see law enforcement without masks. Plus all the yelling and chanting makes the droplets travel farther. So I do think the protests are riskier than the avg college party.
@iluvnaples You make a good point about the southern states vs others. But the northeast because of dense housing and public transportation did have a much harder go of it. They really needed those harsher restrictions and now cases in those northeast states are plummeting while a lot of the south is seeing some increases or just holding steady. But if the northeast did not put those measures in place no doubt it would have been much worse. At one point NY state had 800 deaths in a single day. Now it’s about 50 I think. So yes the restrictions were much tougher but they did work

Regarding drop off, I am planning for all of us to go (1 sibling). H and younger S have not seen Tulane yet, and our other vacation was cancelled this summer. Was planning to drive and do some stops along the way, but flights are super cheap right now so now I am not sure. The problem is Tulane has not given a date for freshman orientation yet. They moved up class start date by 5 days, but have not said whether orientation will still be the same length. They also said they are staggering move in times.

We will be fine if we can’t all congregate in his room, but we would like to see it at least, and make any needed Target runs.

@iluvnaples - My understanding is that the older folks in Miami were among the earliest people in the country to self-quarantine, or at least shelter in place - weeks before even some of the “smart set” in New England. Good on them.

UT Austin sent out an update today, though their final plans will be announced by July 1:

• Students have the option of remote-only learning. However, not all classes will be available this way, so students will need to decide how that affects their graduation progress.
  • Classrooms filled to 40% capacity unless specifically approved by administration.
  • As many as 2100 of the 11000 classes held during fall semester will be online. The 400 largest classes will be online, with some in-person TA meetings, as well as other smaller classes yet to be determined.
  • To accommodate extra class sections needed, classes can be scheduled between 8 am and 8 pm.
  • Residence halls are planning to open, as are Rec Sports centers later this summer. More communication on this to follow.
  • Developing plan to test asymptomatic individuals voluntarily, as well as screening people for symptoms. More details to follow.
  • Texas' Athletics is having a phased return. The first phase was effective, and student-athletes can start voluntary athletic activities on campus starting June 15.

The most concerning part of this to me was the first bullet - those who aren’t incoming freshmen have already registered, yet they don’t even know what classes will be available online? If you need an online option and it’s not available, guess it sucks for you, is the message I’m getting? Interested to know others’ thoughts.

I think its all about managing your student’s expectations from day 1. I have already told my D20 that fall semester (and likely spring) will not be a “normal” freshman experience but she realizes that and said that all the students will be in this together. She would much rather be on campus with her classmates than hold-up in her bedroom at home with her parents and siblings, doing online classes. In addition, if things get better over the coming months, colleges will slowly open up their restrictions so the students will have more “freedoms” over the course of the academic year. Of course if the virus spikes and they close the campuses, then the students will be right back to taking classes online at home.

I’m crossing my fingers but these kids will adapt and be fine…they are a resilient bunch…let’s give them some credit…

Who said big spike? Anyway… Touch all the surfaces you want as long as you don’t have cuts or open sores and you wash your hands and don’t touch your face. Sure… Limiting surfaces touched is better. Yep outdoors vs indoors but direct transmission when marching for hours with people shouting , yelling etc. I just find it interesting. Nothing scientific just interesting. I am not the only one BTW… Looks like medical experts are watching this also.

It seems lots of the concern here might be for freshman or those in dorms. Those in apartments/houses on campus with a few kids doesn’t seem to be a huge concern.

Carry on…