School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@jagrren oh I know. I would definitely be trying to get info on how freshman year will look for those students. I assume most schools are still trying to find ways to do some sort of freshmen “get to know you” type stuff by dorm or by floor. They’ll want to build community as best they can. Schools know it is important and risk having a lot of kids transfer out if they can’t welcome those freshmen and help them socially.

To make matters worse a patient of mine is a kindergarten teacher. She has no clue what they will do…

[quote=“ucbalumnus, post:6213, topic:2088334”]

[quote=“socaldad2002, post:6211, topic:2088334”]

These kids are going to be just fine and will find ways to have fun, I guarantee it! And what’s the alternative, live with mom and dad at home

The bottom line is that the majority of college students live at home, and so it’s a bit tone-deaf to call that reality “hell”.

I teach at a school where about half the students are commuters. Many of them are middle or upper middle class, so not so far from the demographic of CC posters. And survive that hell.

Not having gone their, in my memory, can’t tell you what hell is like, but it can be really rough going when your kid comes back from college after a year of living away from your house rules. It’s even rougher when the return was not expected, not their idea, not what they wanted. We went through that several times, and it can get nasty.

In contact, when one of mine returned home to go back to school after years of being on his own, but made that decision as best option, it was not as bad. He was also older. It does rss as no up tensions when that teen it very young adult has to come back home after getting a taste of being free of parental constraints.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet; Duke is putting students in local apartments and hotels.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2020/06/200609-griffin-fall-housing

@sylvan8798 Remember it’s the parents that post the “concerns” here, not the students lol. Your post makes me laugh, it’s true. ChemAM is the only student I think. I may be wrong. As @katliamom the students will be just fine. They will adapt.

Speaking of campus lunch - my kid’s college town is infested with homeless. She has a 10 swipes per week meal plan but she used up maybe 6-7 meals per week max. She didn’t have time to go to the cafeteria when it’s open. So she ended up eating outside mostly, and had a lot of unused meals. And if you don’t use it you lose it for the week, unused meals don’t carry over. She found a homeless friend and every Sunday she swiped the rest of the meals and brought to him. Nothing goes to waste. She used her flex dollars to get him extra stuff because she won’t used it up either. But at least with flex dollars you can use it until the end of the semester.

@inthegarden I agree with you - While my kid decided to go to a school 3000 miles away, a lot of her friends decided to go local schools, either community college or local colleges where they commute. Now it’s summer time and they are back together, they are still close as if they never left. CC forum definitely does not represent the real world.

I can see Wesleyan having to revert to single-sex floors in the freshman quad (Foss Hill.) They were built prior to co-education and only have one multi-stall bathroom per floor; voting whether to keep them single-sex or co-ed has been a first-year right of passage for more than one generation (the co-ed vote nearly always wins.) Just seems like one less stress factor to deal with under the circumstances.

“According to this source (below), only 27.5% of students live off campus with their parents.”

Right but the key number, at least to me, is that 51% of first year students live off-campus, so that is not in typical freshman dorms or residence halls/houses and 37% live with their parents and only 12% of first years live on campus.

I don’t think c/c wants to limit its target market to just 12%. The landscape has totally changed, commuters, for-profits, the 18 year old going to live on campus is not the typical student anymore.

Let’s not forget the kids that go to community college. I don’t think the 27.5% includes students go to to community colleges. In our graduating HS, 50 out of 300 chose to go to CC.

Not that it matters, but the source specifically said that it DID include community college students. It’s all undergraduates including community college.

It seems to me that most college campuses are in cities that are now allowing dine-in restaurants and bars to be open to the public. I’m not really sure that colleges two months from now are going to ban college students from eating with a classmate on campus when they can walk across the street to a restaurant with their friends.

This is a very fluid situation that will look much different in the fall (assuming no major spike in cases which is the unknown). Remember just 6 weeks ago we were all talking about how 50% of the freshman class would be taking gap years. Where’s all the gap year talk now as most colleges have plans to open in the fall.

Take a breath and wait for end of the summer to see how things will be…as I said before, I have a sneaky feeling that the college kids will be just fine…

@socaldad2002 that was my argument a few pages back- that restaurants will likely be open at 50 percent capacity. But some posters still didn’t think that mattered because being open doesn’t equal being safe. If we do not have another big wave before Aug, I do think schools will open their cafeterias with social distancing. Of course it’s up to each student whether they sit there or go somewhere else they think is safer to eat.

Roanoke College in VA just announced their plans for Fall. They’re starting two weeks early on August 19th, they’ve eliminated the one week break in October and finals will end right before Thanksgiving.

I hope we are past the amount of kids that live at home with their parents now. I went to a CC my first year and then local college after that. More out of necessity. Not sure the importance of the stats except people trying to prove a point. Don’t think it adds anything to these discussions.

Just my take…

Anyway… Yes it seems there is a shift of kids actually going to college in the fall VS gap year. I think that is a good thing. I really do think it’s a damn if I do and damn if I don’t situation. If your kids go it won’t be perfect and everyone will have to compromise. If you don’t go the kid is going to hear how great and awful things are on campus but wishing they could be with their friends.

I think it will be entirely regional. We have states and areas where the number of cases is still exploding. And other areas where cases are flattening but remaining high. Even without a second wave schools in these areas will be in trouble and likely unable to open fully.

@Knowsstuff I think that the gap year talk was more prevalent when we thought classes would be remote and kids would have to take them from home. Now that it looks like campuses will open (albeit with lots of restrictions), more students are interested in going back. Even with all of the changes, there’s FOMO and the chance to still reconnect with their friends and hopefully still have some extracurricular opportunities.

@homerdog. I am glad you came to this realization… Lol?.

I am also glad your son is doing what all kids seem to do and say he’s going back no matter what, try to stop me… Lol. ?:raised_hand:?

RPI has announced their plans, all contingent on the state of NY being in phase 4.

Freshman and seniors will be on campus the entire year. Juniors will be on campus in the fall, and Sophomores will be on campus in the spring.

Classes less than 30 students will be taught in-person, the rest will be online. (All classes will also be able to be accessed remotely.)

No groups more than 10 will be able to gather.

Not sure about athletics.

Masks must be worn everywhere but one’s personal space - not sure if personal space is bedroom or includes common areas of the dorms.

Kids don’t go back after Thanksgiving and will take online finals.

The kids in my D’s friend group chat are talking about renting a house for the fall semester some place far from NY and completing their online schooling together.

@Knowsstuff Did UMich announce what they are going to do yet? Sorry if i missed it