School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Lots of Canadian students do internships in the US, many at FAANG, but not just restricted to tech/SV. Co-ops at our schools are all over the place. Some schools do 4 months on 4 months off, others do 2 x 8 months, some do 12 months. It’s very common for students to be on internship at any point in the year. It doesn’t limit their chances for opportunities in the U.S. so many companies must be in a position to offer internships at multiple times during the year.

@gwnorth I hope that’s true. Those colleges who will have sophomores or juniors take summer class should get their career centers up to date on internships in the fall and winter so they can help those kids.

@politeperson as for sports, if only certain grades come back in the fall, then what’s up with fall sports? Or does a place like Stanford or Oberlin break the rules for those kids and let all fall sports students return no matter their grade?

There is too much at stake if they don’t open. Just talked to a family at Jones Prep and no word yet.

Like everything else, they will attempt some hybrid if needed.

@circuitrider , the Democratic governor of NC refused to make an exception to indoor group restrictions to accommodate the mostly high risk attendees of the Republican convention. That has little bearing on opening schools, which NC colleges have stated will open for f2f instruction.

deleted

But now the limiting factor is money. Schools need XXX more busses, because fewer kids can be on each. They need more teachers or aides, because only XXX number of kids can be in a class. They need extra cleaning staff and cleaning supplies, and so on.

This article gets at some of the issues: https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2020-06-08/report-schools-need-a-federal-bailout-in-order-to-reopen

I certainly hope K-12 schools are able to offer in person instruction for students at least a few days a week.

As usual, I have more questions than answers, lol.

@shuttlebus Wow. If I went to RPI, I would be pissed. Me and @homerdog were saying earlier in this thread that we thought schools wouldn’t do that because it would be unethical (since they’re all paying the same tuition and online learning is greatly inferior no matter how many improvements they make) and it would spark so much outrage. I don’t even know of anyone who goes to RPI, and that pisses me off just thinking about it.

I hope RPI and Oberlin are allowing unlimited leaves/gap years.

@mamaedefamilia Amherst and Williams were initially considering that option, along with a three-trimester model in the case of Williams or the Beloit model in the case of Amherst. However, both eventually rejected the idea in favor of a traditional two-semester model. Kind of surprised Oberlin is having sophomores and juniors come for the summer term, because that will make internships harder; though, I will say, I have heard while there are less internship opportunities for fall and spring because most students have off in the summer, I have also heard that there are a lot less people who are applying for those opportunities. Don’t know how that will work out.

I think it’s good they’re doing it by class year, so lots of friends will be together (though I know that is not a priority for colleges, by any means). That being said, it sounds like a logistical nightmare, considering that some majors have strict course requirements/progressions. It also sounds like a logistical nightmare in terms of housing, because I believe most highly residential colleges do housing by the year, with the exception of students doing a semester abroad.

I hate to be pedantic but it’s “I” not “me”.

I don’t think anyone has posted this but I found this interesting, regarding the Claremont colleges. It gives an idea of how a LAC (in a warm climate) would handle the situation. Claremont has the distinction of being a true consortium, five UG campuses within one square mile with a total of approx. 5000 students, where there there is a lot of mixing between campuses, for classes, dining, activities, socializing, and so on. I think it would be even easier for a small, independent LAC. Of course, nothing will be the same. It just seems easier compared to a larger campus.

https://tsl.news/5-things-to-know-fall-semester-claremont-colleges-coronavirus/
https://tsl.news/5-things-to-know-fall-semester-claremont-colleges-coronavirus/

SNHU announced their 3,000 (normally campus based) students will be fully remote this fall semester. They have 100,000+ fully online students, and are a leader in the fully online instruction world. https://www.snhu.edu/about-us/newsroom/extends-remote-learning-for-campus-students

Ok that Claremont story about not hugging is ridiculous. Do they really think kids are going to stick with their pods and not meet anyone new for a whole year? Or stay six feet away from them? What about freshmen? They’ll be limited to ten people and what if they don’t get along?

So much for the experience they are supposedly trying to save by having kids back on campus. There is a town there. Kids will just go to town and hang out and (gasp) hug. Restaurants in town will likely allow people to sit at tables six feet apart and eat so students could go with friends.

These schools are going to have these perfect rules because that’s what they need to have in writing I guess to absolve themselves but I highly doubt students are going to be able to take it to that level.

Really, @gwnorth? Are we really here to correct grammar? I think we all make mistakes, I sure do, and I think it’d be much more helpful to give college f/b versus grammar lessons.

I would say that she is more disappointed than pissed. You guys are all missing out on a lot.

My understanding is they’d map out a hierarchy of cohort groups that need to be there—those there now, students needing labs, etc—and in-season athletes would be among those groups. Then if the density target allows, they’d move to a second level of cohort groups based on class year or similar, and fill to the appropriate density level. Not all schools have articulated a policy but that seems to be the general approach.

As these plans come out, students will have to decide what they think. Part of me wonders if schools are hoping some kids stay home and choose remote. Easier for them with fewer students there. Then they can also say they are offering what everyone wanted - an option to come back to campus. Take it or leave it.

@homerdog Part of me thinks that too, but it also confuses me because you would think they would want tuition as well as room and board from all those students.

@shuttlebus well, selfishly then, I guess I’m glad S19 is a three season athlete. Maybe they will let him and his friends on campus if XC and track could happen. I can’t imagine trying to figure out who can be on campus and when. I think Bowdoin got rid of that idea already but I also feel like we need to be ready for anything.

My son goes to college in NY also so I’m skeptical about whether he will be on campus this fall. I actually suggested to him that he and his friends consider renting an apartment together (not near his school) so that at least he would have the benefit of socializing with his close friends, rather than spending another semester at home. My oldest stayed in her off-campus apartment this spring with her two roommates. I think it was much healthier (mentally) for her to be living with them, than holed up at home with Mom and Dad and her three siblings. My son didn’t have that option but I would willingly pay for him to be in an apartment, not in NY however, with friends this fall even if school is 100% online.