School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Tufts appears to be welcoming grads and undergrads back to campus as per their site.

I amended that? but the number would reflect the amount of at least, students, that Broad is claiming they are going to be testing, so that should be anyone on campus, right?. I don’t know enough about faculty.

Please edit the numbers to reflect the numbers you have for fall attendance? Add a column beside the enrollment number in parenthesis maybe. Edit and correct away! This is spit-balling really.

Of course…there are kids that are not drivable distance from home. You can not put them on a plane with a positive test so they have to ride it out at school or nearby hospital. It is wrong for any school to think that they can just go home. My children are within driving distance and it would just depend on the situation but I have plenty of nieces and nephews that are 15+ hour drive from home so it is not possible.

Not sure is this has been posted yet but Lehigh University will be going remote in the fall.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/2020/07/lehigh-university-changes-fall-plans-to-online-courses-limited-on-campus-housing.html

I expect all these colleges going remote will stay that way for the year. The next question is how will they adapt to survive fall 2021 if still remote? It seems unlikely all college students will have been effectively vaccinated by that time.

So schools using Broad institute, can you add your school to a list?
Are any of these wrong so far?

Note some schools will have limited students on campus, but ya get the drift.

Total STUDENT enrollment as reported by schools that I could see on their sites/us news.

Amherst College 1,849

Bates College 1,832,
Bowdoin College 1,835.
Colby College 1,815
Connecticut College 1,903
Hamilton College 1,850
Middlebury College 2,579
Trinity College 2,098

Tufts University 11878
Wesleyan University 3,000
Williams College 2,073
BC 14,125
Quinnipiac 10,200
Wellesley College, 2,474
Emerson College 3,855
Clark University in Worcester 2,204
University of Massachusetts Medical School ? maybe about 1000
Brandeis 5,945
Northeastern 19,940
College of the Holy Cross in Worcester Mass 3,020
Harvard : Harvard College: 6,699
Graduate and professional students: 13,120
Harvard Extension School: 16,193 ? Are these all online anyway?)
Bentley University (Waltham, MA - just outside Boston) UG 4,253,

I agree you did. Could have carved you out from my question I suppose but would have thought those who answered would just skip.

CARES Act money is limited, right? Should any priority be given based on need/other resources available? Should everyone have received the $1,200 regardless of income?

BTW, its not like colleges were the only ones who were criticized for taking CARES Act funds. Many entities returned funds that were obtained within the reqs of the various provisions. I worked with a number of clients through that analysis.

So your answer is you don’t think its possible that colleges will underdeliver in terms of promised testing. Definitely possible.

@Sybylla Harvard Extension is entirely online and the vast majority of its students are part time and reside in the Boston area already.

@RosePetal35 and @1NJParent, Keep in mind that UNC system schools have an 18% limit by law for OOS students. Also, the policy for the ones I’ve read, are the schools expect sick students to quarantine at home if possible. I have not yet seen a strict definition of “possible” but I will be asking during the parent town hall on 8/3. Also no mention yet of if, or how soon, a recovered student can return to campus.

“I doubt they [Broad] will will have issues meeting their promises because they have been preparing for months” <> “you don’t think it’s possible that colleges will under deliver in terms of promised testing”.

Because this is a math issue (Broad promised X tests per week for X number of students to X schools for X weeks), and it’s about 2 weeks out when this testing is set to begin and there have been no announcements/hedging on the ability for them to meet their promises yet, I think it’s ** unlikely ** not impossible that they will not fulfill their testing commitments.

I am mystified that one lab is offering such services. There are at the least, tens of thousands of students on this list that will all be testing in a similar timeline. How will they pivot to that? I was a big fan Of Mina’s idea of daily tests that are good enough but not perfect, but this testing isn’t based on that idea. I don;t know what you mean about privilege? TAMU is contracting with a California based company, I am equally mystified by how some company in Cali won’t be already overwhelmed by local testing yet is saying there will be a 24 hour turnaround for tests. This Curative inc, they will be doing Texas state testing, TAMU, DOD.

Let’s rephrase the question. No matter how likely or unlikely you think it may be that your kid’s college will underdeliver on promised testing (unless I guess you think its impossible for that to happen), what happens if your kid’s school underdelivers on promised testing? Are you bringing your kid home? And to be clear, those questions are not limited to schools with Broad testing. It applies to any college that is bringing kids back on campus and promising a certain level of testing.

And BTW, I disagree its a math issue (unless you either have literally everything you need to conduct all planned tests for the semester and possibly the entire academic year sitting in warehouses you control or you control the entire means of production (including all necessary raw materials) for everything you need to produce all of that), you will be subject to supply channel issues.

Depends actually. At my son’s school there would be no need. They should of plenty of beds and their hospital system is one of the best anywhere… So there’s that. But depends on the illness I guess. Just having cold symptoms kinda thing… Then no. Having respiratory signs and gravitating to a serious condition after checking with the hospital docs… Probably have him admitted there… Like less then 10 minutes away. If I had to bring him home I would drive to get him. Put him in the backseat with mask and face shield and let him sleep 5 hour drive). I would wear at least a mask. Keep a window open if we can. Bring food to avoid stops.

That’s an interesting question because I think the answer is the same when it comes to testing. For example, Wesleyan accepted ~$3million in CARES money last Spring. They say most of it went to students - internationals and others - who required help in either getting home or finding places to stay on campus. In other words, the university was just the conduit; they passed along a benefit that probably would have been reimbursed one way or the other. Same with testing. These kids need to be tested. And, tested regularly. What difference does it make whether they are on a college campus or a hometown walk-in clinic when it happens?

Well if they were home and not frequently out and about and were following distancing and mask protocols when they were out, presumably they wouldn’t require regular testing. How many students now who are home are being tested regularly?

Exactly my point.

Of course…there are kids that are not drivable distance from home. You can not put them on a plane with a positive test so they have to ride it out at school or nearby hospital. It is wrong for any school to think that they can just go home. My children are within driving distance and it would just depend on the situation but I have plenty of nieces and nephews that are 15+ hour drive from home so it is not possible.

[/quote]

My daughter is also 15+ hours away. I would get on a plane and driver her home if she were sick enough to have to leave. Or travel to her and stay in a hotel until she was well enough to return to campus. Lots of ways to solve for this.

Funny we said the same in the basement. Can bring down a bed or sleep on a couch. He would have a 110 diagonal screen since I had an audio /video company and have a dedicated home theater /music room that is sound proofed. (side business years ago ) (7ft screen) with a front projector and great sound system. Watch the Cubs last night down there. He plays his Xbox /Playstation games and can do video conferencing. Talk about privileged kid… Heh, just dissed my own kid ?. Actually has a small fridge and popcorn machine. I don’t think he would ever go back to school… Lol

A terrific (and in hindsight obvious) solution to the “what if” my wife and I have been thinking about. We’re 2 1/2 hours from DS’s college, so we could make that work.

@circuitrider
That’s a circular argument: the kids need to be tested regularly because they’re going to be living at school and because they’re going to be living at school they need to be tested regularly. “Need” is an interesting perspective. Do any of these students “need” to live on campus? Is their need greater than others? Worth a discussion.

To @gwnorth’s point…if these students were doing remote learning from home they wouldn’t require twice a week testing. In my opinion it’s an allocation of resources question. Could we open k-12 schools better if they were the recipient of similar levels of testing? Is holding residential college more important? Also worthy of discussion.