School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

D just heard from a friend who knows people at Mount Holyoke; apparently, there were many people who decided not to return (before they reversed their decision) because they felt the school’s plan was vague and inadequate (even though they were only letting half of students back to campus). It’s also quite possible they had a testing problem, because I could be wrong but I don’t believe they had a deal with Broad Institute, and their emails only vaguely mentioned “testing at regular intervals” with no specific details on testing. Maybe due to reagent shortages nationally their testing plan would have been similar to Penn State’s “robust testing plan” consisting of only daily temperature checks (LOL).

Also Mount Holyoke wasn’t doing any pre-arrival testing and was just having students quarantine for 14 days.

Thank you!

For what it’s worth, my freshman son has been on campus at Clarkson University for a week now in quarantine. He is doing OK so far, and their quarantine is serious…no leaving your room for any purpose other than the retest they all took 2 days after arrival. They all came in with a negative test within 7 days of arrival and were tested again 2 days after arrival. Students not needing to quarantine will move in next weekend with the same testing requirements. Then they will test roughly 10% of the population randomly each week (using Broad Institute) and isolate/quarantine as needed. Testing pattern and frequency will change if they see cases in specific areas. Classes start the 19th and right now all of his have at least some in person component. The day has been stretched from 8am to 9:30pm to reduce class size and lengthen time between classes and they are using buildings not normally used for class (one of his larger classes is in the rec center). Lots of rules in place regarding masks, distancing, etc. and many activities will be online. But he is hopeful that if they all follow the rules, things could actually work out and he can at least be around other students while he adjusts to college.

Just an observation and it sounds like it’s starting to occur. EVERY campus will experience covid cases. Virtually impossible to prevent that. The ones that are far more vigilant in enforcing their rules, and who have greater student buy-in will do better.

My assumption is each school knows they will have to deal with some level of containment. I also assume they each have a predetermined number that basically shuts everything down (as profs and staff will likely revolt if kids are not taking this seriously, attending parties, etc.).

Wonder what that number is. Does one kid shut down a hybrid class? How many shut down classes shut down a campus?

S is renting a house with friends assuming that will happen. Most of his friends are doing the same. They just want to be together. I get that. I would too. Hope they realize if it all shuts down, being together is fine, but they’ll be nothing to do.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say they will have nothing to do. Classes will not shutdown completely-they will just go online. So kids will still have classes, homework, test, papers, projects, etc. My kids apartment building has its own gym that’s not subject to school rules so they can still go there. And there’s tv, video games and other typical indoor activities. Finally, not that I’m advocating for this, I expect the off campus kids will still be getting together socially even if the campuses close.

I completely agree with this. My kid did the Vault saliva test on 8/4 and we sent it back the same day. Got the negative result yesterday 8/7.

If they live off campus, Wake still lets them use all of the campus amenities that are open? Are they getting tested the same as kids in dorms?

I don’t think there’s going to be much “to do” on any campus even from day one. It will be go to class, eat meals, maybe exercise outside or get an appointment at the gym, and study. Maybe some socially distant club meetings but those will likely be virtual too. Most campuses this fall are very limited in the experience.

@rickle1 I agree with you that cases on-campus are inevitable, and schools are aware that they have to contain it.

However, with regard to “shutting down schools”, I don’t know what others are doing, but Amherst has made it clear that in their opinion sending students home before the end of the semester/in the event of an outbreak would be reckless because this would endanger the families of said students (many of whom would be at much higher risk than the students themselves) and could endanger the home communities students live in as well, with President Biddy Martin saying in a July town hall “[it] could be a public health crisis in and of itself”. They said they couldn’t completely take it off the table because the situation was constantly in flux and the government could take the choice away from them, but it would not be done unless they had to.

That being said, there is definitely a point where all classes would move online. They said if there was an outbreak that got really bad which caused them to shelter in place, students would be allowed to leave of their own free will but nobody would be kicked out (unless they were forced to).

I think there will be more to do than expected at first, but the question is how long will it last, D20 already has an interview for an on campus job. Welcome week schedule has been published, and although there is plenty of virtual activity, there are more in person events than anticipated. Outdoor movie nights, outdoor ice cream socials, In person activities fair with " information on specialized academic programs and majors/minors, volunteer opportunities, campus retreats, campus recreation, intramurals, student employment, and other opportunities"

Wow. I think that’s headed for a quick shut down. A lot of the smaller schools are starting with very little interaction with students until a few weeks of testing shows no virus. Only then will they start loosening the strings a little and start the planned outdoor events

Big thumbs up for the NU women’s soccer team. 100% mask wearing.

Big thumbs down for the NU football team where under 30% were wearing masks. The coaches need to enforce the rules!!!

@homerdog @xyz123a With regard to in-person events, Amherst is (at the moment) planning to have many outdoor, physically-distanced gatherings (such as movie nights) throughout the semester; however, I believe they probably won’t start until after the initial move-in and all that, and that could change depending on the local COVID situation (though students can’t leave campus without a really good reason, so maybe not). One of D’s friends is an OL (orientation leader) and reports that orientation will contain some in-person activities but will mostly be through Moodle (and I’m sure the in-person aspects won’t be until after the whole move-in, quarantine, and initial testing processes are over).

@RosePetal35 I think BC is trying to keep kids busy on campus where they have a bit more control. There are so may kids who live in off campus apartments in Boston that it is going to be a challenge to contain the virus there. I think Amherst will be more successful as they are creating somewhat of a bubble. As of right now, BC kids can leave campus. I do not seeing that lasting long, if at all.

Are you talking about when they are playing? Rules do not include mask wearing during play, AFAIK

@Mwfan1921 - This was on the practice field. Big groups of players standing around together. Coaches were all wearing masks. Players about 1/3.

So what? They are outdoors!

@NJCity Being outdoors doesn’t negate the need to wear masks while near other people; the town of Amherst is now requiring all people to wear masks even when outside near the downtown area.

MIT didn’t admit anyone from the waitlist:

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/we-will-not-be-taking-anyone-from-the-wait-list-this-year

They announced they had record yield this year (79%), which means that class of 2024 will have approx. 1,060 members (1,457 * .79 * .92).

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/mit-regular-action-decisions-now-available-online-3

They could have taken about 50 people from the waitlist and have the same class size as 2023 (1,107).

https://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/profile

But since only 10% of their revenue comes from tuition, they probably figured it’s best to keep their numbers lower to increase the chances of successful Spring semester when years 1-3 are expected to be on campus.

http://web.mit.edu/facts/financial.html

MAC postpones all fall sports until spring.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

I thought that was one thing we learned from the GF protests. There were numerous protesters not wearing masks, singing, yelling, etc and I read there were no outbreaks that arose from this. Why now are you saying that in fact there need to be masks being worn outside? Sure, if you are effectively on top of one another but the protesters were very close and there were no spikes.