School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I believe the state DPH regulates reporting, and most states break down by town at a granular level. That includes incoming students. They will most likely be required to quarantine on campus or have the option to go home if positive. I don’t see state DPH reporting separately on student positives as they are not a high risk group such as assisted living and nursing home residents. One of our colleges requires pre testing negative w/in 72 hours before entering campus, one is optional. All will be tested within 24 hours of arrival and then twice a week thereafter. Partnering with the Broad Institute from Harvard/MIT for testing. They will live in singles at their colleges, have classes that consist of in person and one or two remote classes. Sports season is cancelled. Modifications to dining. Best wishes to all for a safe return and start to the semester.

That is troubling about club soccer above, practicing and getting ready for travel scrimmages sans masks etc. They are not part of college/university system but private non profits.

Soccer has been playing. Baseball and lacrosse too. All over our town and others. We don’t know anyone who has been infected and we know dozens of kids playing.

Not sure how to feel about poster above re: Denison having triples while all classes are remote. Seems like a financial decision? Or perhaps protecting professors but not students sufficiently? And not requiring pre campus testing? What are your thoughts/comfort level with that?

@homerdog Walmart, grocery stores, & pharmacies in Maryland are advertising flu shots available now.

Our recent outbreak was linked to a youth coach. Spread it to some team members, who spread it to some parents, who then went to a party…and down the line it goes. The coach refused to cooperate with contact tracing.

@homerdog, I think all in person classes can be the luck of the draw in some cases and doesn’t necessarily mean a school is offering all of their classes in person. I know both of my kids have friends/roommates at their schools who have classes ranging from all remote to all in person. My kids both fall in the middle. This seems to be the case at my friends kids’ colleges as well. I have not heard of a school that is offering all in person classes (although I am sure there is at least one).

How dangerous is COVID to the college students? Is it worse than the flus, which have killed some in this demographic (one a friend of one of my kids), but did not cause a wholesale closure of on campus life and in classroom teaching? My biggest focus is on the yet unknown long term effects this virus has. The scientific, medical minds are wary. The military is wary. This to me is the driving factor.

Professors, staff, etc, IMO , should join the ranks of essential workers who have worked through this. Not like there is a shortage of would be professors. Not like they have to wipe noses or touch the kids when teaching. They are not an elite category outside of the healthcare, food service, warehouse stocking etc employees.

The young kids are a big concern to me because they can bring the virus home to family. Especially, with the younger kids, one has to be hands in, as caretaker, parent, teacher. These kids just don’t follow hygiene rules or practice social distancing. Anyone around groups of these kids can see that. And parents end up practically doing mouth to mouth Resuscitations to sick little ones (ok , an exaggeration) who need comfort when feeling ill. I see that as the problem in opening up elementary schools. Kids mingle, put fingers in their mouths, noses, breathe, spit , touch each other and the virus can spread like wild fire and though the kids may not get hit with any bigger toll than flus of each year, their families can die of what they bring back to the nest. And, then again the long term side effects

How can anyone be sure team members from families that “go to parties” got it from the coach?

My son still has four classes 100% in person, one class 100% online, one hybrid class and a hybrid lab.

It appears students with mostly major/minor classes have a greater percentage of in person classes.

Stockton (in southern jersey, ~10k students) is still on-campus as of now.

@homerdog @xyz123a All in-person classes could also be intentional selection. All but one of my D’s classes are in-person (technically HyFlex, meaning in-person for students on-campus except when the professor can’t come for some reason), and she intentionally avoided any online classes during re-registration. The one online class she has is one of the classes that is online only due to its large size and is the next class in her major; it would really mess up her scheduling down the road to put it off. Back in April during initial registration, she was really excited to register for a Women’s Studies class; then in re-registration the class was listed as “Online Only” (due to professor choice) and she said “Nope!”

She is aware that switching to online for each and every class is a possibility during the semester, but wants to try to take as few online classes as possible.

I’m sure she is not the only one who feels this way about online classes. One of D’s rising senior friends who was actually approved to return to campus ended up taking a gap semester because he feels that paying that much for remote learning is a scam and he was worried about classes switching to online mid-semester.

^Well, let’s not forget that for the 40% of Amherst students who have not been invited back, there is no choice whatsoever.

@circuitrider They do have the option of remote learning or a gap semester. Both sucky options though.

Don’t be surprised if all of these colleges promising in-person classes, quickly shut it down to almost all online.

At the end of the day, the colleges have very little to lose by going completely online once the students are committed.

They talked a good game all summer but when reality sets in, they will acquiesce big time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/08/hispanic-children-eight-times-more-likely-hospitalized-covid-19-study

“Hispanic children eight times more likely to be hospitalized with Covid-19, study says
Research shows while hospitalizations for children are generally low, Hispanic and black children are more likely than white children to be admitted”

(real source, very user friendly)
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932e3.htm?s

Hospitalization Rates and Characteristics of Children Aged <18 Years Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1–July 25, 2020
Early Release / August 7, 2020 / 69

I think UofSC sincerely believes that if students follow the protocols, the limited F2F can happen. However, the social media traffic suggests that a lot of students just don’t get it. I expect that the quarantine/isolation dorm will fill rather quickly, putting the university in the position of both shutting down F2F and booting kids from on-campus housing.

We don’t know what effect the influx of college students from states all over the country will have on our numbers. I can understand why communities might wait to fully reopen k-12 until they see what happens when college students return.

Walgreens and Costco in the next week or so.

That’s a good point. They last like 6 months so maybe wait a bit to do it. Good suggestion.