School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Agree with knowwstuff that it is complete misinformation the current positive numbers in MA and Worcester County warrant last minute cancellation due to an “uptick”. Its just not the case Wisteria, sorry. The college probably was being pressured by aging faculty and calculated that they would not get that much of a drop off in disenrollment because the school has such dedicated base. And they probably could not fund testing Broad was requiring. They felt they could cancel and kids would come back. HC has very loyal base.

Two weeks ago, word was circulating through some channels that we are enjoying a reprieve, a honeymoon, before RSV season starts and COVID-19, being a RSV is likely to resurface in a fury. Because the reports I was getting were not through the regular news channels, I put it all in my bag of assorted Covid stories and rumors, even though the source is from a reputable ( one of the most reputable ) places giving official news— they did not release these predictions on their national sites. But their undergraduate university, abruptly changed to online. And Im seeing other about faces right afterwards.

No one really knows what’s going to happen this fall. So far, statistically, young people are not being hit as severely with this as even the influenzas which did not close down schools on a widespread basis. But, long time side effects still unknown. I believe an instructor can physically hold class safely at a distance and with proper PPE. It’s not like they have to be hands on as doctors and health workers may have to be. And kids being away at school would not bring the virus home to their family members which is the big issue with sending k-12 kids to school each day. Not to mention the hands on often needed in the lower grades.

What figure/number constitutes a risk that justifies closing down colleges? What unknowns should figure in the equation? Any parents who chooses not to pay to board their kids can opt out. I think all schools offering online classes. I think this is a constantly changing sea, with new information released regularly. Colleges may well close after opening up, if enough risk factors crop up

Here in Canada most of the provinces are at stage 3 reopening. Our numbers in the country had been falling but we’ve recently seen an uptick due to an outbreak of cases in Alberta. Overall however our numbers are fairly low with under 300 new cases nationally per day. The Atlantic provinces have formed a bubble of their own and any one entering the area must quarantine for 14 days but they are being the most restrictive because they have hardly any cases and want to keep it that way. I’m in Ontario and our testing positivity rate for the province is about 0.5%. We are seeing ~100 new cases, a couple of hospitalizations, and 0-1 deaths per day. In the Toronto region where I live we just moved to stage 3 reopening on July 31.

In terms of education most provinces are trying to have as much in-person schooling for K-12 as possible. Mostly that means a return to full-time in-person for K-8 and some form of hybrid learning for high school. Many school boards are also offering the option of 100% online instruction as well if families prefer. In the post-secondary sector, the vast majority of colleges and universities have announced primarily online instruction for the fall semester with a few exceptions. Some of the small Atlantic universities are saying they are going back face to face, U of T says they will be offering some in-person classes (though there is currently a petition by students and instructors trying to get them to change that), and I think UBC is saying it’s business as usual. They are exceptions however. There is also a mix as to whether or not campuses and residences will be open. DS19’s school here in Ontario, a large research intensive university, seems to be one of the most conservative ones. They announced they were going predominantly online for the fall back in April (winter is still TBD) with only a few exceptions. Residences are only open on a very restricted basis and campus facilities are still closed at present. Most other schools that have gone remote are allowing students to return to campus if they choose.

I’m a teacher in a very mask compliant state and have many of the same thoughts. There are a few teachers who I know will come into my room without a mask, or with it down around their chin and be insulted when I ask them to put the mask on properly. They will want to know how I could possibly think that they could be infected since they are such nice people. I am eye rolling so hard just thinking about it.

[quote=“jagrren, post:13045, topic:2088334”]

I’m with you. Just happy to have a principal who will enforce masking. It’s when she’s not around that I worry about. Ugh.

Correct. Worcester has had a decrease in cases in the 14 days preceeding 8/5.

They have had 151 new cases total in 14 days. Population 185,877. That means that .08% of people who live in Worcester currently have Coronavirus.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/weekly-covid-19-public-health-report-august-5-2020/download

Note- I disagree on the cost of testing being an issue for HC. They are loaded and testing cost is well offset by room and board that they won’t be getting now.

Elon has released its alert model which will be used to make decisions on how they proceed throughout the semester.

https://www.elon.edu/u/news/2020/08/10/data-driven-alert-model-to-guide-elons-covid-19-response/

Here is a list the reopening plans of Jesuit schools. HC is the latest of several to reverse course. I expect more to follow…

https://www.ajcunet.edu/coronavirus?

I love how “new normal” is green and described as normal. None of this is normal! . Have to wonder how long until they go yellow.

If this was already discussed somewhere in this thread, I apologize, but if your freshman child’s college has suspended plans for on-campus housing, are you considering securing an off-campus housing alternative near their campus? My D and some of her peers are thinking about this. I’m conflicted. Obviously many sophomores, juniors and seniors already planned to live off campus and signed leases, so many will be moving forward with their plans to live near the school. But freshman need to adjust academically. I’m curious what others are doing.

What exactly would one be paying the money for in the off-campus housing scenario under the lockdown conditions with remote learning and no access to campus?

Perhaps. Depends on how much testing is being done… There is a lot of testing being done in Massachusetts. But even still, that’s .64% (.08% x 8) - in Worcester, MA.

Part of me wonders if Holy Cross is even more nervous about the optics of opening and having major outbreaks than other schools. Unfortunately, while on a training trip to Florida this year, the crew coach caused a traffic accident that resulted in the death of one player and serious s injuries to others. Multiple parties are suing the school and there has been much negative press this year.

@cuppasbux My D20 is not planning on securing off-campus housing. She just doesn’t feel ready to live on her own (or with a group of kids she doesn’t yet know) in Boston. Too much to figure out for the first time. That said, we have discussed the possibility of her doing so for spring semester if her school does not invite students back. She is hoping by then she will feel comfortable with college courses and hopefully have “met” some peers in her classes.

She has a good friend who is starting as a first year at Georgetown. After finding out last week that they’d be online, he quickly found a group of 5 to rent an off-campus apartment together.

A symptom of our litigious society. A horrible traffic accident is somehow the fault of the college? It will be what eventually brings us down. I’m not sure where they are with the current Covid legislation but i’m hoping for some sort of REASONABLE moratorium on covid related suits in order to protect schools and businesses who attempt to open.

I suggest a compromise for off campus, is that find others who live near you who are going to attend same college and maybe rent a place local if you can find short term. This way they are sorta going out of their own and with their peers, or maybe with friends who are also in the same boat. Not everyone can do well in their childhood home/bedroom. If you can afford it, and feel your child is ready, then it should be ok. Living off campus , it would depend on what is available in that “college town” . How does that compare to home.

Many, many students are getting something to share as a learning pod to be with friends etc. I would be leary to do this as a freshman since just adapting to college is a big deal in itself. But for veterans of academia I would consider it.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/08/10/big-ten-football-cancels-season-michigan-michigan-state/3332277001/

Big Ten just cancelled their football season.

I am not sure where are located, but we are no where near lock down conditions, yet many schools in our state will be opening in a full remote style.

Outdoor dining, gyms, hair salons etc are all open with restrictions. There is very little that I want to do that I can’t. So sending college kids to live with their peers is a great solution to a crappy problem. They will have a chance to live independently, make some friends and study together, much like a dorm. If they can find a place near their college town, that’s great too, but I know many students taking the chance to spread their wings even further.

Makes good sense to avoid contact sports this Fall.