School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Guess I read this question to be asking what will parents (who moved their kids to private schools because they are offering full in person classes when their public option was not and the parents need to work) do if those private schools have outbreaks and have to close or go online. Its a tough position for parents. Tough for schools as well.

Correct. Moving for coverage so you can work has the potential to backfire (at considerable cost - $). Private schools stating that they are “open” isn’t something they can guarantee, so is it wise to uproot everything on the hope it works out?

@homerdog – Our schools are remote for the 1st semester. The school board is establishing a health advisory panel in partnership with local universities and other nearby school districts to set metrics for the Spring that will drive whether to continue remote, start their hybrid plan (already developed) or full f2f. (The latter would have to be approved by the Gov and doesn’t seem likely.)

We have world class public health experts in our community (Research Triangle in NC), and I think these locally elected officials realized they don’t have the background to make those decisions and want to be driven by data rather than ‘hunches’ that it’s okay to go back. Let’s be honest – it’s prolly also a bit of CYA. Nonetheless, I’m pleased with the thoughtful process they’ve developed.

My understanding is the universities and districts will be sharing their metrics nationwide for others to use, if they’d like.

I have to think that the private schools have chosen their students and families wisely. The student and family that paid for private schools prior to pandemic is likely to stick with that route regardless of method of delivery. The family moved and is paying only because it is f2f instruction should be just as easy to spot. I am not saying they based acceptance on income just that they are basing it on pre-covid behaviors. I have no first hand knowledge of this but it would seem the wisest business move.

Not all private schools are created equal. Many in our area have been struggling - they’ll take any students they can get, regardless of motive.

100% agree with @leigh22. In our town there is a private that spent a ton of money upgrading their HVAC to a system that recirculates the air every 3 minutes. They already have super small class sizes, plenty of out door space and have a really solid plan in place so are returning to F2F instruction. Everyone I know that has kids there are sending them back (there was an online option for families who wanted it). On the flip side, there are other privates with older facilities, bigger class sizes, etc… that are starting out fully online.

Just like education across the country, it’s impossible to make generalizations.

Initial test results from Duke.

Duke University has launched its comprehensive COVID-19 testing program by administering 3,116 tests to the first undergraduate and graduate students who have returned to campus since Aug. 1.

A total of four positive results have been reported. Any student who tests positive is required to isolate until getting medical clearance to access campus facilities.

https://today.duke.edu/2020/08/update-covid-19-testing-duke-students

I agree that it was a bad decision on part of Duke not to have the RAs there early and ready to be at hand during this tumultuous time. The RAs ALWAYS should be there early and ready. Duke could have well afforded to have done so. Especially with the uncertainties and fears among the parents and students , that extra step was important.

I completely agree about the generalization I made. I was basing my comments on the schools in my area and local news reports that families have been on the waiting lists since early summer. Most of them have no problem filling their classes in a normal year. I can see how privates across the country may all be dealing with different issues.

UNC Chapel Hill Dashboard
https://carolinatogether.unc.edu/dashboard/

Appears to me they are nearing capacity for isolation/quarantine rooms.

@ElongMomMD – egads re: isolation space at UNC. They’ve been back for a week!

I’m rooting for ND, but think it would be helpful to have the quarantine/isolation information on their dashboard too.

No. It’s the opposite I think. The charts is for available space so they have a lot of space available. They have had cases each week but it seems hardly any for kids living “on campus”. Right now, they only have one student in isolation. They only have beds for the on campus kids not for anyone who lives off campus.

I will say, though, 85 beds for all of UNC “on campus” students? Yikes. That doesn’t seem like enough. I guess we will see.

Interesting that they have gone from 90% occupancy planned on the main campus to 60% in 3 weeks. I’m guessing that is a common trend almost everywhere, as the time to cohabitate draws near and fear/reality about the situation and rules hits home.

@homerdog – Ah, that makes sense. Phew!!

Also, I live not too far from there - I’m totally in favor of more people telling everyone to mask up in my neighborhood!

But when you have Everett as “red” and Somerville as “green” and they abut, this is ridiculous. The virus does not respect cartographic boundaries!

Yeah I don’t get that. Does that mean 90% were planned to be there and students backed out? Why would they be 90% to capacity in housing way back in July when there was no class?

I’m waiting to see how the schools that are testing everyone frequently do. These schools that only test if you have symptoms or test some kids randomly aren’t getting the whole story since there could be asymptomatic students out there.

This information was shared on the University of South Carolina Student/Parent Town Hall yesterday:

Current On-Campus Quarantine & Isolation Capacity - 2% in use

Total Tests Administered on Campus

• 7,255 tests
  • 3.9% Positive for Students
  • 0.67 Positive for Faculty/Staff
  • Turn Around time - 16 to 72 hours