School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

She is very happy but it could just be till they go back to school in November but she doesn’t care at this point. Nice way to put away some money. This is a thing in my area and student teachers and teachers not working are some of her competition…LOL…They are 5 year olds and she has lots of things for them to do. One girl wants to wear her school uniform every day since that is what she would be normally doing…these families have been together all summer. They asked my daughter not to take the subway, which she is not and she has isolated pretty much all summer. They will get their monies worth…she is great with kids. Beats working at the Gap…

Stanford just announces no (very limited) undergrads on campus this fall:

"We will not be able to invite first-year, sophomore and new transfer undergraduate cohorts to be in residence on campus for the autumn quarter, as we had hoped. We also are planning for almost all undergraduate instruction to be delivered remotely during the autumn quarter, with very limited in-person offerings. We will continue to offer on-campus housing for those undergraduates who were previously approved to be in residence due to a special circumstance and who continue to wish to be on campus, despite the plan for mostly remote instruction. "

One Notre Dame off-campus party resulted in an outbreak. That makes me believe that there are lots of off-campus parties going on there.

Probably. I’ll be curious if kids who spread the virus at an off campus party will then bring it to campus in any way and spread it or if all of the masking and social distancing on campus will stop it. Will only the kids who were partying without masks contract the virus? Maybe.

@Rivet2000 Stanford warned their students back on July 22 that they were re-evaluating their plans and said they would give them a final decision on whether students could come back for fall quarter in early to mid August. So they were expecting it, unlike many of these schools that are reversing decisions without warning.

I expect that was not the only off campus apartment at ND. And I would think there will be more as the semester continues. Some on campus as well. Unless you have security walking the halls 24/7 and knocking on doors.

And expect there will be on and off campus apartments at other colleges across the country. And kids who are home with mom and dad taking remote classes who will party on occasion as well.

At first I was rather surprised Amherst was doing a closed campus, but hearing about all these off-campus parties makes me glad Amherst is doing that, especially with many students at UMass (nicknamed Zoomass due to their affinity for parties) so close by living off-campus (even though UMass is not letting most students access campus facilities, most will still be off-campus since they already signed leases).

re: ND …So ridiculous how a selfish few could ruin all the planning and costs to keep everyone safe. Hopefully they get it under control.

[QUOTE=""]
most will still be off-campus since they already signed leases).<<<<<<<<

[/QUOTE]

This is a big campus and community problem, we cannot just say, oh, those off campus kids are not our problem. They are there because schools kept saying kids will be in class.

A student initiated but university approved campaign to create responsible behavior.
https://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/■■■-it-wont-cut-it-student-led-public-health-campaign/

It gets your attention!

@gotham_mom Junior Advisors are unpaid at Williams, the only compensation is “JA” T-shirt, but it remains one of the most sought after and competitive honors to be selected as a JA. JAs are really ingrained in the college culture and are key to the freshman entry system experience. Related is the effort to create affinity groups within the entry system since those that have decided to return are disproportionately not diverse. Williams reported some interesting numbers on the profiles for student opting to be on campus.

https://williamsrecord.com/2020/07/the-college-released-its-data-on-fall-enrollment-it-reveals-disparities-by-race-and-financial-aid-status/

I though the kids that were RAs or whatever they are called in different schools got free housing and food? Is that just a cool story?

@TennisParent Thank you. The Williams Record is an excellent student newspaper.

That private in your town is really on the ball to have upgraded their HVAC system. My school system (~67K students) has many buildings, and some of them are old, have mold problems, etc. My state’s guidance for school facilities and covid-19 is very sparse. The ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers) guidelines for schools put out in late July have a lot of checklist items. I doubt many public school systems (and even private schools) are going to be able to follow the recommendations.

So this is NOT meant as argumentative…however…

If you have to be tested numerous times, parties are out, leaving campus is “off-limits”, classes are half (or more) online, the gyms are closed, there are no sports, the libraries are limited to short visits and no groups, meals are eaten alone, and if you or someone you know tests positive for the virus you’ll have to isolate/quarantine…exactly why does everyone want to be on campus?

If there are personal issues that make learning difficult or impossible at home, I completely get the need to be on campus. Schools make commitments to support kids, and they should do that…especially in a pandemic. Freshman and transfer who have never bonded with anyone or anything about the school, I understand the need to feel and touch and smell the place.

But returning kids who have stable, friendly, safe environments at home, isn’t in the best interest of the community to stay home and limit the number of possible issues by reducing the number of kids on campus? Reduce the stress on testing environments by not needing test results. Help contact tracers by limit contact. Support your school by not adding complexity to the situation (which you’re not going to enjoy anyway).

I completely agree that students who have committed to comply with rules should follow them and reduce the risks, but why the rush back to campus if the rules are so confining?

It depends on the college. If the college has a strong sense of community, a “bubble” as it were, self-quarantining in a dormitory for 14 days, is just a slightly smaller bubble.

Amherst didn’t bother to reach out to 250 seniors to allow them to fill the now empty dorm rooms, so I seriously doubt they’re going to move heaven and earth to bring everyone back in the spring. It sure sounded better than telling the CAs they gave the customers the big rooms and the help got the small ones.

Amherst didn’t bother to reach out to 250 seniors to allow them to fill the now empty dorm rooms, so I seriously doubt they’re going to move heaven and earth to bring everyone back in the spring. It sure sounded better than telling the CAs they gave the customers the big rooms and the help got the small

————————-
What a raw deal for the Amherst seniors - that will leave a terrible taste in their mouth.

Apparently the rush back to campus at Notre Dame was because some students planned to agree to the rules and then not follow them.

I understand the rules make campus unpleasant for many. What I do not understand is the lack of character required to sign your name to an agreement you have no intention of following.

The administration has a dilemma. There have already been numerous parties—this is obvious to anyone except those who see one ant and thinks there are no more ants. If the administration disciplines the people who hosted or attended the party that spread covid, then nobody else who goes to a future covid party will tell the contact tracers who else was there. If they don’t discipline them, then the no-character people who host or attend parties will have no reason to stop doing it, since their word means nothing to them.

The answer is clear, though. Cut the Gordian knot. Tell the students: Sorry, you had your chance and you blew it. We can’t trust you. Everyone has to leave now, except the few with special exemptions. Goodbye.

It’s a really good point. It’s sanctuary cities vs. hard-line immigration.