School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

That’s not accurate. D received her test results earlier this week in 24 hours. And this was after just going to one of the free drive-up testing sites in MA. (Before someone asks: No, it was not a rapid test or an antibody test. It was a PCR.) Granted, the drive-up location was at a hospital so I’m sure that had something to do with the quick turnaround.

@ProfSD – I think CT hospitals are turning around results very quickly–sometimes the same day. Hospitals currently require an appointment.

Other testing sites have longer waits and can take up to a week to return, so I am guessing they are being shipped out to a national lab.

My son’s pre-arrival test for college was shipped to CA, and results were posted three days after he dropped it at FedEx.

@CT1417 Same. I was nervous about leaving it in the hands of an out-of-state lab, so we decided to have a backup test done locally. D20 moves on to campus Monday and I didn’t want a late test result preventing that. All other tests once she arrives are done by Broad.

I wonder if colleges are using the same service out of CA for pre-arrival testing. Was yours through Let’s Get Checked?

@ProfSD – It was sent by Quest, so it doesn’t sound the same. No mention of the name Let’s Get Checked on the paperwork still sitting on the kitchen counter.

The school seemed confident in the turnaround as long as students submitted sample to FedEx by a certain date. So far, no horror stories on the parents’ page.

This is exactly what I am seeing amongst the mothers in my town. They are the ones taking huddled, no-mask wearing pictures at their house party before the distanced graduation. They are having faux proms and grad parties for their children. And in the Facebook age, if they aren’t taking those photos, they won’t have any memories.

D got her negative covid results last night. 48 hours after Vault received her test. We are hearing some issues on our parent FB page but Purdue is also paying for students to go to their local CVS if there is an issue.

The one thing I’m not thrilled about is some off campus students didn’t test at home before moving into their apartments and are testing at school. It’s unclear if they are quarantining until they get results. They won’t be allowed into classrooms without a negative test but that doesn’t seem like enough under the circumstances.

After 6 months of the “pandemic” fewer than 250 high school and college aged kids have died from covid.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

The only pandemic is the massive widespread lack of common sense.

Do you consider that insignificant, I don’t? Granted that is more than the other age groups however that is more than 1 per day since the pandemic started. To me that is a huge number considering the first thing to shut down in my state (and most states) were all the schools (k-12 and college) they shut well before offices, retail, etc. and they have never gone back until this month.

About 21 million people worldwide have died of covid. How many of them where given it by high school and collage students? How many shared a bus or went grocery shopping with an asymptomatic idiot who refused to wear a mask?

I think about this, too. Rather than Greymeer’s pandemic of widespread lack of common sense, I would say there is a pandemic of widespread lack of respect for science. This virus is a very serious threat. People focus on the death rate, and the young people think it won’t affect them. The knowledge of public health dangers of covid-19 have only increased since the early days, as we know more and more. There are significant serious (probably) long-term effects, and they appear to NOT be uncommon. Do people want longterm lung issues, heart issues, neurological issues? We are such a selfish society – I want what is mine, and I don’t care about anything else. That is the prevailing attitude. Don’t make ME give up anything.

@CTTC You have a good point about the selfishness of people and society, but it’s way, WAY too early to predict that any of these effects are “long-term.” It’s only been a few months. We won’t know of any “long-term” effects for several years.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: It’s also way WAY off-topic. Let’s keep the conversation focused on colleges.

@msdynamite85
Just a correction: a little under 21 million identified Covid cases worldwide and 760,215 deaths according to the JHU dashboard. There haven’t been 21 million Covid deaths.

@homerdog - Yes, classes started on 8/10. My DS is a double major. I think all of his classes are f2f for at least one class per week. I believe the majority are normal attendance. They moved time around to allow for larger spaces to be used and cleaning between classes. The only reduced schedule he has is Marching Band. They will not do any field shows this year, so practice time is reduced.

My DS20’s college is using LabCorp Pixel test that can be mailed to the home. However, we are also allowed to use other testing services as long as the results can be provided in the appropriate time frame.

No. None of the UNC System schools (including Chapel Hill) are requiring covid testing prior to arrival. The system relies heavily on students self-reporting symptoms, disclosing contacts, and going for testing. Honestly, I am surprised students went for testing enough to find these clusters already. Keeping a close eye on the UNC Covid dashboard when it updates next week to see actual case counts.

We can get RT-PCR test results in 15 minutes (Abbott ID Now is the test apparatus.) Local urgent care clinic; costs $140 for the “virtual visit” which is a few questions from a physician or nurse practictioner; they then OK the test, which costs $191. Both are billed to insurance and they told us that they are likely to be covered by insurance, but couldn’t guarantee. These tests are what we’re using to be able to avoid quarantine in the state where my DD20 will be moving into college in 12 days… assuming they don’t pivot before then. We will take the tests the day before we fly. We are in Bay Area of California.

Harvey Mudd is in LA County and like Caltech was unable to have students on campus under the county mandates.

My son moves into his off campus apartment this coming Wednesday. Freshmen begin arriving two days later. All 20,000+ will arrive by the 24th.

The city where his school is located had 2 new Covid cases Thursday and 5 new on Friday. I’ll keep a running tally by day and post the information in a few weeks.

What’s the over and under date for the first school that shuts down after opening up?