School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

How guidelines are being followed:

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/unc-professor-moves-to-virtual-classes-after-concerning-videos-of-students-on-campus/19229110/

https://www.wral.com/overcrowded-pool-at-off-campus-student-housing-near-unc-raises-concerns-about-a-safe-semester/19234193/

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article244904532.html

@circuitrider Agreed, also the NESCACs while offering on campus options are also reducing tuition and other fees to reduce the burden on families. It’s a hard pill to swallow to be paying tuition increases for online education.

Thank you!

I read somewhere that most viral infections resulted in or could cause myocardial inflammation as a result, and this is something athletes in particular knew to be aware of after any viral infection. So this isn’t necessarily unexpected, was my understanding. Has anyone looked into whether this is somewhat the norm after any viral infection?

We’re all frustrated, believe me.

Your great grandfather’s age and experiences do not make him an expert in epidemiology.

And there are others who are taking a different philosophy, such as my MIL. She is going about as if absolutely nothing is happening. And while that may sound irresponsible, she is 87 and may not live that many more years, so she doesn’t have any interest in spending it locked away in her attic, unable to see her children or grandchildren, or enjoy the things she usually does or get her hair done or whatever else she does to bring pleasure TO HER LIFE. And I can understand that.

So we should be changing our behavior, or not? Or just some of us should be?

Well that sounds a bit hyperbolic.

You said up above that life is fine. Our lives are pretty much up and running again. They never really ground to a total halt. We kept working, bought groceries, ate food, etc. Lots of people going places and doing things. Most businesses are open here, at least to some extent. We ARE doing those things that are supposed to help combat the virus spread. Right now, the big controversy/question is schools (at every level) because no one really knows if this is going to work or create havoc. Likely it will depend on local conditions.

I just got back from dropping off my stuff at Tufts. I walked around campus and the area around Tufts. We stayed in Assembly Row overnight. I did not see one person not wearing a mask on campus and in both towns. (good sign) Good luck to your daughter. It seems from the move in dates quarantine could last around 8-10 days…hope it goes by quick!

My son’s at-home COVID test procured by Colgate was done late Wednesday afternoon and we received his negative result today online. Colgate is using “Let’s Get Checked” to administer their tests.

What I don’t believe has been mentioned on this thread is today’s FDA approval of the Yale-NBA saliva test. Much cheaper and easier to administer than the nasal swab tests, and just about as sensitive, with results available in a few hours. The saliva tests should help colleges better track outbreaks in real time and limit the spread. Many experts I’ve seen quoted today believe this can be a game changer.

Do we know this is just from one party?

Another cluster at UNC.

!Alert Carolina! Emergency Notification: Cluster of COVID-19 cases at Sigma Nu fraternity. Visit alertcarolina.unc.edu/notifications/…

@scoop85 – Yes, that Yale saliva test can really be a game changer.

“Yale intends to provide SalivaDirect protocol to interested laboratories as an “open source” protocol, meaning that designated laboratories could follow the protocol to obtain the required components and perform the test in their lab according to Yale’s instructions for use.”

They do not intend to profit off this, but instead, release the protocol so that anyone can replicate in own lab. I believe I saw a $4/use cost and and 88-94% accuracy, although accuracy is not the same as specificity or sensitivity.

Is an FDA link allowed?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-issues-emergency-use-authorization-yale-school-public-health

"Despite the growing call for more testing on campuses, currently, the CDC does not recommend “entry” testing for all returning college students.

Paltiel says this guidance could be dangerous. “It is baffling to me that the CDC has failed to update its guidance, in light of the accumulating evidence that “silent spreaders” are fueling outbreaks,” he says.

The CDC guidance says that entry tests have not been systematically studied.

“A lack of evidence is not the same thing as evidence of a lack of effectiveness,” says physician Aaron Carroll, a professor at Indiana University School of Medicine."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/08/15/902616040/can-testing-students-for-coronavirus-twice-a-week-prevent-campus-outbreaks

I can’t find anything that says how fast these new tests take to perform. If anyone comes across it, please post. This could be the game changer we’ve all been waiting for.

My D just got her campus move-in COVID test in less than 48 hours – negative. (She’s living off campus but everyone still taking.)

It’s such a relief, isn’t it? Even when we’re pretty sure they are negative. S19 got his results in 48 hours too - yesterday afternoon. Negative. Now he can go to Maine!

Just saw that huge freshman gathering at Villanova…it’s only day two! hundreds of students…not good.

does anyone know how these are different from the saliva tests being already used at schools like ASU and UIUC? They seem to be the same thing. Is it just that the Yale one is now FDA approved and now schools that don’t have these types will be able to get them?

The first EUA issued for a saliva test to detect covid-19 was awarded to Rutgers back in May:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/covid-19-at-home-saliva-test/index.html

Right. So can someone explain why the Yale one could be a game changer?

I’ve been an endurance athlete my entire life. I was a collegiate swimmer, I did the Ironman Triathlon as a young woman, I ride my bike a lot and my friends ride their bikes a lot. (A lot here means, like, from Banff to New Mexico, from Vancouver to Monterey, from Seattle to Maine. Like that.) If myocardial inflammation were a common result of viral infections, I would know. I’d be hearing of friends having to take time off from riding. People would talk about it. My doctor would warn me.

Also, my son is a hockey player and I follow professional hockey. My nephew was an elite swimmer. If this were common, parents and fans would hear of it. We would be hearing, all the time, of this or that elite athlete, or this or the other young athlete competing with our child, having to take time off for these heart issues after cold or flu, the way we hear all the time of this or that athlete having to take time off for knee surgery or (in contact sports) for concussion issues. Doctors would warn parents to beware. We would know.

None of this happens. I had, in fact, heard of myocardial inflammation, but as a very rare complication, not as something that 60% of people who get the flu should expect. My cycling friends are old, like me. If this were a common result of cold and flu, I would know people who had experienced it. I don’t, because before covid it was rare. And now, seemingly, it isn’t.

@homerdog wrote:

The big difference seems to be that the Yale product is open-source which means it doesn’t require any purchase agreements with Yale and can be performed using any currently available reagents, swabs and containers. In other words, it’s cheaper:
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/08/15/FDA-authorizes-open-source-saliva-based-COVID-19-test/5671597528177/