School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I don’t understand…are the administrations at these schools just turning a blind eye? how about student accountability being enforced? So ridiculous and selfish on all parts.

There does not need to be a “party” for it to go through a sorority or fraternity house. Most of them have at least 20-25 students living there plus staff. All of those students have contact with others not living there on campus and not. The universities do not own the houses in many schools and therefore have little say over the situation. It is just ridiculous that this is a surprise to any school that this will assist in the spread.

@alh – Exactly. And only one party makes the appointments to the Board of Governors these days b/c the Legislature took slots away from the Governor. I can imagine their views on re-opening may have differed from UNC campus leaders…Again, just speculation here, but being super transparent and vocal about the clusters is one way of getting a message out.

The good old days when you only had to hide the drugs and alcohol when the police showed up.

NC State claims they’re not seeing the number of covid cases UNC is seeing. Their dashboard says last week they tested 45 symptomatic patients and 3 were positive, and they tested 413 other students as surveillance, and 1 was positive.

I think most parents have already written off the year academically, and are just hoping to recover school for 21-22 year. I am not optimistic about that either.

I agree with you that it is the least they should do, and yet there are colleges who are letting their covid dashboards creep up with no word or explanation, if the dashboards can even be believed…

I’m betting on two more clusters at UNC. This is entertaining, in an awful kind of way.

I hope you are referring to k-12 and not college! If I was ready to write a college year off academically then there is no reason to enroll for the year. If I had a k-12 student I am with you, I would write it off.

If the college students (or pre-frosh) truly believed that COVID-19 would be no big deal for them and that infection would provide future immunity, they would have self-infected during the summer, with responsible self-isolation while infected (to avoid infecting their parents or other people who might not want to be infected), so that they could then go to college with immunity and not have to worry about getting sick or being put into quarantine or infecting others.

Of course, it appears that hardly anyone actually believes this. Given the admittedly limited, but very concerning, news about the frequency of post-recovery after-effects (even in those with no or mild symptoms), it is even less likely that someone who has seen such news would believe that. But then maybe that kind of news is less likely to be seen.

I guess I may be that parent bc I sent my freshmen off last week to a mid size lac 0 about 5000 kids) If the school decided to open ) BC they needed the cash) the dorms, I sent my kid, he has been home since March, lost his proms, his graduation and …, he needed to get to school, they may shelter in place by oct 1 and I think he would be ok w that. We are in NJ so we were hit hard and he knows the deal but staying home for the freshmen year would lead to other health issues, so we sent him, if you are gonna roast me, please roast the school as well and those who decided to come back to teach as well. We are all in this together so If I am wrong I am not alone. My wife is a essential worker and goes to her office every day and wears a mask 8 hours a day so we understand the risks. One of her co workers died from covid so trust me we understand.

I can understand everyone is very stressed, but its a bit much what you are saying here.

Hope everyone and your loved ones will stay well mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually!

You offer a comparison, well phrased, and if the majority would choose “kill the staffer” then shockingly sad and selfish :frowning:

Gettysburg college tested 2283 students and only 9 tested positive - of the 9, 4 had “leftover” virus fragments that are not infectious.

What if the choice was that the school employee who dies is their beloved Aunt Betsy? Maybe people would think a little harder about these choices if they had to throw Aunt Bets under the bus instead of some barely imagined person with some previously existing health issues who did, after all, CHOOSE to be there, so hey, who cares?

I, for one, intend to do whatever I can to bring at least some of my students an in-person course. I would prefer that they are, like you, very cognizant and conscientious about trying to keep themselves and everyone else from getting sick.

Unfortunately, we know that is not the case for some, for reasons having to do with their impetuous youth, and for reasons having to do with our insane, bat ** society right now, even evidenced on these boards. What do I do if I have a student who decides to spit in my face because reasons?

@cptofthehouse --I can agree with a lot of your concerns, but I don’t understand your continued downplaying of the risks to instructors. Do you really think that the same schools that are allowing this trainwreck to go forward are supplying the kinds of protections you list? You think they will insist students will all wear masks in class? (Georgia will expressly not), that N95 masks or other PPE are supplied at all, that ventilation has been overhauled to a sufficient air exchange everywhere? Has that happened ANYWHERE?

Professors are not Essential Workers, no matter what you or anyone thinks. And being in classrooms is not equivalent to being in a store. Certainly not in these schools we are discussing here.

I am terrified for my colleagues who have to enter classrooms when they could perfectly adequately teach their classes remotely. Insisting on f2f classes in these schools is an unconscionable indulgence, made clear by the campus stories we are seeing daily.

The odds that a student will spit in your face is extreme low; the odds that a student spits in your face AND is contagious with CV-19 at the same time is an even rarer event; the odds that you get the virus while wearing your mask and a student with CV-19 spits in your face is highly improbable that it shouldn’t even be considered.

One can argue against in person classes for many reasons, but the above is so remote that it doesn’t warrant a concern IMO.

Wow I just saw some posts from kids at Alabama on another site.

“Not wearing a mask hasn’t killed me yet”

“I ain’t wearing any mask”

“Time to realize you all getting scammed”

We’ve all waited so long to see how fall will go. I think we have our answers for some big schools.

Waiting to see how the elite universities do that go back - Duke, Vanderbilt, ND and more. And many elite LACs start in two weeks.

I feel like you missed the point there, directly.