School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

FSU’s dashboard which went up last week was just updated today to reflect that 6,630 students and staff/faculty members have been tested as of August 23, and that 62 students and 6 employees have tested positive for a positivity rate of 1.03 percent. Classes started today, and all students who live on campus are required to submit to testing before move-in. I believe they have a total on campus housing capacity of about 6,387 beds, but that is considering triples, which are not allowed this year. I don’t think that number includes greek housing. I would hazard a guess the 6,630 number probably covers most, if not all, of the kids living on campus as well as faculty/staff right now. 1.03 percent sounds like a pretty low rate of positive cases. Hope they can keep it that low or lower.

@circuitrider regarding quarantine, most of the NESCACs have spent a lot of time and effort in creating the infrastructure to provide dining services via express delivery to individual single dorm rooms to limit student to student spread. Williams even

Sorry, my message got cut off, Williams even has a electric mobile delivery fleet to make sure students receive dining services meals door to door.

Yep, every state seems to be this way. But the people do travel between suburbs and the city etc. I think I heard that Lincoln Park was getting bad, with the bars open etc. More people out on the lake front etc. In my medical office in the suburbs we can’t keep up with what states people can travel back and forth to/from…It’s easier to say if someone just traveled and it’s not an emergency then make your appointment 2 weeks from when you landed.

Yes, the virus will be with us next year at least. It’s much easier to just get used to doing the precautions now. We went to a friends, lovely backyard and had dinner and drinks. We were all social distanced and with no masks but walked into the back yard with masks on. …When we leave we put them back on before walking to our car kind of thing. All I know, I just came back from Costco and went to ABT Electronics yesterday in GlenView and it’s the most people I have seen in one location in a very long time…But all with masks of course.

Ann Arbor is mandating their local laws now to wear mask (thought they had this already) since the kids are moving in Today and going forward. University of Michigan will have about 8,000 on campus and this is down like 64% of what they normally have…Already there are some reports of stuff…agh…hope they straighten it up before I come up on Thursday. I am not allowed to go inside so people will be at the door ready to assist my son bring his stuff in. Saves my back…LOL

@TennisParent wrote:

Yes. IIRC, Wesleyan will deliver to your single room while you are in isolation - but, that’s what they call the category you fall into after testing positive for the virus. For quarantine - the initial 14 day arrival period - they’re trusting kids to pick up boxed meals that have been arranged on outdoor tables at strategic spots on campus; no plastic; no monetary exchanges of any kind necessary. That way, they can fold in some daily exercise along with a meal. I’m really impressed by the logistics of everything these schools have in store and by the way the NESCACs in particular, have leveraged their tremendous outdoor spaces. I’m fully prepared to see instagram snapshots of tent cities all over New England. The difficulty, as I have posted before, will be in getting the kids back indoors after nightfall!

That depends on the testing protocol. If they’re not testing or barely testing certain groups, then we cannot say, well, anything much about those groups and their relative risk.

Also, your county does not have the same testing protocol as Notre Dame. The way Notre Dame selects people to be tested is not the same way your county selects people to be tested. The fraction of people tested is not the same in both locations either.

Most of the tests are being done at a lab within a few hours drive.

Whether NE uses Broad or does the tests in house, the resulting increase in testing allows them to test everyone often, and that seems to be the only way to make on campus classes work.

Updated numbers for UNC

Ohio State issues interim suspensions to 228 kids who violated school’s guidelines.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/228-ohio-state-students-receive-interim-suspensions-coronavirus/530-c77a9a45-91ce-42f6-95f4-fb728185d774

Outbreak at USC (California)

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/usc-reports-alarming-covid-19-outbreak-at-off-campus-housing-more-than-100-students-under-quarantine/

I was waiting for word of the USC cases to get out. An interesting scenario of a school that moved all classes online and didn’t open housing but now has a bunch of students in the area partying like its 1999 and driving up cases.

I’m not sure the vague threat of ‘we will have to say remote’ will do it. I also think it is interesting that she recommended weekly testing, and that the university can support it.

Very impressed with Northeastern’s testing and low case numbers. Glad they put in the resources and it seems to be working!

Should be an interesting week for Michigan, if people have success stories for large state universities I wish you’d share them! I know Purdue is just getting going.

@circuitrider I’m glad you clarified that. All the NESCACs are not doing the same thing and they are not all delivering food to all students.

UCF had 83 positive cases upon move in this week. That’s a total of 159 in 2 weeks of move in. I hate to tell Florida, but they have a whole lot more Covid- 19 floating around then they think they do.

Can someone clarify for me what the “suspensions” involve. What does it mean when I see these reports of students suspended for violating rules about Covid safety? Can they still attend class remotely? Are they moved off campus? What does it mean exactly?

Do you know the total amount of tests administered? What’s the percent positive rate? I was honestly surprised that FSU’s percent positivity rate is only 1.03 percent. (68 positive out of 6630 tested, as I mentioned upthread). And this covers the period between Aug 2 and Aug 23. Move in started on Aug 10 and classes began today.

With regard to USC, I haven’t been following closely but were the dorms closed altogether? If so, it seems maybe it was a miscalculation to close them down. Although one would think dorms are kind of like cruise ships insofar as they might be conducive to spreading the virus via closely shared quarters, the schools also have perhaps a little more control over what happens in their own on campus housing facilities vs off campus. Perhaps closing down dorms leads to unintended consequences?

My D, a junior at Creighton just tested positive today.She was super careful all spring and summer, wearing a mask, social distancing even when outside. We live on an island in the Pacific NW, and everyone was very careful here. About a week ago, she told me that friends started having symptoms. The school had no testing prior to arrival or even now unless you request it. It’s just a matter of time before classes go online, my daughter believes. I’m just hoping her symptoms stay relatively mild. She lives off campus in a house with 5 friends.

Oh no! I’m fervently hoping your D has a very speedy recovery. Why on earth would Creighton not have mandatory testing? That does not sound like a good plan. On the other hand, given she lives off campus – maybe that is why? Did they have mandatory testing for on-campus students?

Not even for on campus students. I found it very surprising.

I’ve seen photos of a student I know at Creighton. Birthday party in the dorm. Over a dozen girls sitting on a bed during the party. No masks. (Not even sure I have to point that out at this point.)