School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@usma87 Have you seen that unofficial twitter account, asucovid ? Don’t know anything about how reliable it is.

Don’t count on it if things get worse in the community. Back in March and April, food delivery is completely unreliable in the tri-state area around NYC.

And who wants to deliver to covid positive people? Ames restaurants and grocery stores are telling parents and Iowa State students to quit ordering for delivery to the quarantine dorms because they’re not going to deliver there.

What a mess. :frowning:

NC State removes students from on-campus housing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article245268020.html

NC State didn’t do pre-entry testing, and students are widely disobeying the rules. Oh what a shocking surprise, they have big outbreaks. How could this be?

Agree. I also think it’s not responsible to send these kids home right now, there are likely a not-insignificant number of infections that have yet to be identified, which risks infecting anyone who picks the students up, and the entire household once they get home. But, rock and a hard place, I get it.

Send them home and you risk them infecting their home local communities, keep them there and they’ll continue to go to big gatherings and infect the NC State local community. Perhaps NC State should have thought of this before they caused the big outbreak.

@“Cardinal Fang” --Many schools will be facing that same dilemma in the coming weeks. The schools that did not conduct testing upon arrival and ongoing surveillance testing will reach that inflection sooner.

@Corinthian - I have heard about it. I’m not on Twitter much and don’t want to add it to my vices. :wink:

I thought the letter from Crow was informative. They have done way more testing than I thought.

NY Times is reporting that CDC was instructed by higher-ups to change its testing guidelines.

^Which is why it’s hard to trust what they say anymore. Really egregious.

The son of one of my close friends tested positive as part of a pre surgery screen back at the beginning of July. The rest of the family was advised to quarantine and discouraged from getting tested if they didn’t have symptoms. They managed to get tested and were all negative. There was also little interest in contact tracing the people the son had been in contact with.

I wonder if test shortages, perhaps related to all the college testing and the attempts to open k-12, is driving the return to symptomatic only testing. As an aside the sons of 2 separate friends have been tested in the last week (approx 36-48 hr turnaround) and both were negative but one ended up diagnosed with mono.

At Duke, they did not test before arrival but at the last minute asked that students “quarantine” 14 days prior to arrival on campus. Once at campus, they tested the students and they isolated for 24-48 hours awaiting test results. Now that classes have started they are doing lots of random testing of students in an attempt to quickly identify and isolate any infected students. Seems to be working ok for now? These next few weeks will be critical to determining if on-campus housing with some in-person classes can be achieved this fall?

[/quote]

My daughter has been back on campus for two weeks. In addition to the test required for all students upon move in, every one in her housing block of 10 has been re-tested once, half of them last week, half this week, results coming back in less than 24 hours for all of them. Duke Pres said they will make adjustments as necessary but right now, testing half the students weekly will be the norm. Athletes tested weekly. School has trained 200 contact tracers. Cautiously optimistic…

Doesn’t seem that way. Wesleyan, a Broad client, has been moving a few hundred students in per day, starting last Sunday and won’t be done until Sept. 7. As of today, they have tested a third of the expected student body with -0- positives.

Sorry, I think what ND is doing is insufficient. It’s a large school, so of course it would cost a ton of money to test every student once/twice a week, but that’s what some schools are doing and that’s what needs to be done to ensure asymptomatic carriers are caught before an outbreak happens and puts the community at risk.

Even with a good start, a tiny percentage of the class testing positive grows exponentially in congregate housing without rigorous contact tracing and quarantining. Are they really 14-day quarantining every single student, on campus or off, who spent more than 15 minutes 6 feet from the infected person? Because that’s what happens outside of the college setting (if your health department is any good) and a college setting itself is absolutely more risky. Looks to me like MANY of these schools are taking what the health department does routinely for contact tracing and just throwing it out the window because they simply don’t have the facilities or staff to care for so many kids who were exposed but aren’t positive.

I think it is insane that colleges were all allowed to come up with their own plans with very little central guidance. At one school, they are encouraging students who tested positive not to go out unmasked. WHAT. Don’t go out at all!

I hope it’s enough, I really do! I want all this to end as much as anyone.

Correction: Wesleyan will be done moving kids in by the end of this week.

@PetraMC - my philosophical approach is “they are adults that can vote, its time for them to realize how to adult.”

Yes, I am in the camp that sees the risk as low. I have said a number of times, my son is safer at Notre Dame than in my home county, based on test results. I’m sorry you think it is insane. I think people will literally go insane if we don’t learn how to manage life while COVID is still present. I see many colleges trying to figure this out based on their size, location and advice from health experts. It’s time to let these adults show they deserve our respect.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/notre-dame-hires-more-security-after-students-placed-in-quarantine-violate-rules/article_a9c04f36-e70a-11ea-a52e-e74b0cf9b0f3.html

Mmmmm…guess not all students are committed to “adulting” for the greater good.

I can only imagine the costs these schools are incurring to remain open.