School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@“Cardinal Fang” - ASU has tested over 40,000 students and staff as of 8/31. They are stating the “positive rate” is 775 (on and off campus) out of 74,500 total student body (excluding online). They are stating a 1.04% positive test rate. I realize you are drilling down on the data. The info I have from the update is stated above.

A Notre Dame update - My DS has been on campus for a month. Total cases - 591. Of those, 410 estimated to have recovered (dashboard verbiage). Seven day positivity rate of 2.5%. Surveillance testing exceeds diagnostic testing (4,239 tests so far) and has a 0.5% positive test rate with 32 positive tests to date.

As with Purdue, it looks like trends are positive and that the ND approach will hopefully be one that demonstrates how to do school during a pandemic. That is the goal of most schools that have returned to campus. Some approaches are working better than others. Fingers crossed that through this we will find some solid methodologies to implement on a broader scale.

This is interesting news about Gettysburg College. I wonder if this will give students intending to return to other institutions some pause.

I teach at a university, and so I am interested in the experiences of parents and students contributing to this thread.

Taking another look at those Arizona State numbers, they are so misleading, poorly presented and deceptive.

First (buried in the text) they say they’ve got testing results from 40,400 students plus faculty and staff since Aug. 1. Then, later, they say they’ve got testing info from 12,400 faculty and staff, so we can do a quick subtraction and discover they’ve required tests or given tests to 28,000 students.

Then they say,

That’s an obvious attempt to mislead. Where did the 74,500 number come from? They’ve gotten test results from 28,000 students, not 74,500; they already stated that, buried in text and added to the number of faculty and staff tested, so it’s easy to overlook.

The correct positivity is computed by dividing the number of positive students, 775, by the number of students tested, 28,000, to get 2.7%. And that’s not a good number.

Oh no @ElonMomMD , I’m sad to see a school asking kids to leave campus and go home. I really thought that (mostly due to finances), schools would allow kids to stay in their dorms and do online classes if numbers got too large. (Of course, I realize that going to in person classes is not really what is causing all the virus transmission at colleges…it’s social life). Does anyone know if JMU is refunding the housing?

From JMU today: https://www.jmu.edu/news/2020/09/01-online-class-announcement.shtml

How does JMU think it’s making a difference by shutting down classes? I guess, protecting professors? Whatever spreading events were occurring at JMU will still occur if the students are still living in dorms and getting food from food service.

@“Cardinal Fang” they’re sending most (all?) of the students home by September 7th.

@“Cardinal Fang” - I’m not making the numbers or deciding the calculations, simply stating what is on the website. You are incorrect in your math - the 12,400 is “total faculty and staff” not necessarily how many have been tested. So the remainder of your calculations are based on faulty assumptions. The scientists have decided the denominator for both calculations. You are obviously welcome to judge the accuracy or validity for yourself. The leaders of the Biodesign Institute are all PhDs, two of the three are also MDs. I’m a simple MBA, so I simply pass on the information as published.

Butler announced they will be returning to in-person classes next week and re-opening buildings across campus for student use outside of class time. It appears that the quick move to on-line classes and modified shelter-in-place for two weeks along with swift discipline for those students found in violation of COVID rules is doing it’s job.

The approach also sets up a clear picture for students and staff about how issues (infection rates and behaviors) will be handled moving forward.

Fauci cautions against sending kids from colleges with outbreaks home:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/fauci-makes-first-media-appearance-since-surgery-warns-colleges-about-sending-students-home

@Mindfully it should give them pause if they can’t understand what it means to quarantine. Gettysburg students and their parents were made aware over and over again about the processes in place and the consequences of not following them. All students had to sign an honor code.
However, the wheels are falling off because of student behavior and parents are on FB crying about the quarantine and how unfair it is.
I guess I just don’t understand how people couldn’t see this as a very real possibility.

UIUC update:
https://massmail.illinois.edu/massmail/61640956.html
UIUC dashboard:
https://covid19.illinois.edu/on-campus-covid-19-testing-data-dashboard/

My D just showed me a Brown students’ FB site. School starts on-line September 9, with only a limited number of students allowed on campus, and then campus opens October 5. Yet evidently there were a bunch of parties this weekend, and the FB page shows a bunch of kids really angry at those partiers; the kids don’t want their October return jeopardized.

Also, it appears that their testing turn-around time is between 24-35 hours.

@melvin123 — Kind of a stretch to see them opening at this time.

I imagine that news of the Brown parties and relatively high CV rate in Providence will combine to dash hopes of opening.

I thought they signed on with Broad for testing, so that turnaround time seems in line with what others have seen. Schools closer to Cambridge seeing faster turnaround due to proximity. Broad processed nearly 59K tests yesterday!

Interesting to see that those attending college/university have been identified as a critical population for early vaccination.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/early-covid-19-vax-action-items-8-27-2020-final/935b1bd03afcefff/full.pdf

JMU required no forms of covid testing prior to or on arrival, began in person classes right away, and at least one students account of classes being overfilled with no distancing of students. The University does not have enough quarantine beds. One of my friends just dropped her daughter off a week ago and has to go back and get her this weekend. So they incubate a few more days and then go home and have some community spread? Shame on JMU. I can’t think of a better “What not to do”. Honestly, what on earth?

Lake Jr. began his next-to-last semester on Wednesday. He has a very short list of required classes and tried to get the university to allow online learning for the 4 classes he needs to get his diploma next spring. The administration said ‘no,’ thus he packed his bags and headed for campus. I guess the university is trying to enforce social distance and mask-wearing, but there is not a lot they can do at the private off-campus housing across the street. I am fearful about a UNC or GaTech situation, where these kids party at off-campus apartments like its literally 1999 (or 2019)!!! I read a news report which indicated that UNC is trying to discipline the revelers.

What are they doing at your child’s campus to supress COVID-19?

@CT1417 I don’t know what to think about an October opening. And I’ll be curious whether kids will stop partying because of the outcry of their peers. We certainly live in interesting times!

@TexasTiger2 that’s a lot of people in the Critical Populations category. They are going to have to break it down further.

Here’s who they are saying are in this group:

• healthcare, homeland and national security, public safety, education, food, and agriculture workers
  • People at increased risk for severe illness (e.g., persons more than 65 years of age, people with underlying medical conditions that are risk factors for severe COVID - 19, long-term care/ assisted living facility residents, people from tribal communities, and people from racial and ethnic minority populations)
  • People living in group settings (e.g., people who are incarcerated/ detained, experiencing homelessness or living in shelters, attending colleges/ universities)
  • People with limited access to vaccination services (e.g., rural communities, individuals with disabilities , under- or uninsured people)

Seems like the only folks who aren’t in this Critical Population category are White People younger than 65 who have good insurance and are not obese(30 bmi or more) and have no other underlying health conditions, who aren’t healthcare workers, teachers, police, food workers, or agricultural workers, who aren’t college students or prisoners or homeless, and who don’t live in rural areas.

Taking a rough guess at the numbers, sounds like only 30% of the population won’t be in this Critical Population category.