School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Do we know what Yale’s policy was this year for freshmen taking a gap year and upperclassmen taking a LOA? Do those students retain the right to on-campus housing?

MIT’s policy this year is: first year students taking a gap retain the right to on-campus housing. Anyone else taking either a semester or year-long LOA will not be guaranteed housing when they re-matriculate.

Students who violated the set guidelines by the school by partying were sent home the next day. More students are being sent home as they continue to violate the terms set by the school. As of today there are 29 students who tested positive on the third batch of testing while everyone is still on mandatory quarantine. 4 employees also tested positive. Overall they have 33 positives out of 3,799 students and staff.

@123Mom123

I assume you saw the next paragraph from the YDN article.

When asked how the University could handle a potentially larger class size for the class of 2025, Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid Jeremiah Quinlan said, “I think that’s something we have to worry about a little bit later down the line. I think right now we are preparing to have a larger first-year class next year.”

Probably too many unknowns at this point.

Yale could take fewer transfers.

Also, just because they accept the same number of kids, they might be expecting a lower yield for one reason or another. Didn’t they do away with SCEA? That would mean they will more unsure of how many kids will accept their RD offer.

Enrollment management will be tricky for this coming fall. I don’t think the AOs know how it will shake out quite yet.

@homerdog --It was Princeton that eliminated SCEA for this admission cycle.

Yale enrolled 21 transfer students last fall, so taking fewer will not make much of an impact.

Enrollment management will be beyond challenging this coming year!

@CT1417 - I can’t even imagine the stress the schools and AO’s, etc. are experiencing. I honestly can’t.

@123Mom123 – Stress on so many levels right now.

Colgate’s President said the school had spent north of $4million so far to prepare the school, including PPE, testing, physical changes to campus, extra employees etc… Colgate is small with a small student population…imagine what a school like UMich is spending.

@vpa2019 – I recall the Colby president being interviewed on TV several weeks backs, and being shocked/impressed at the total spending. Of course, I cannot recall the price tag now, but found this in the Journal.

Colby College, in Waterville, Maine, detailed on June 30 a plan to conduct about 85,000 tests over its fall semester—nearly as many as its home state has done since the pandemic hit. The school’s testing program will be administered by the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, a biomedical research center, and would require students to be tested before arrival on campus and again three times in the opening weeks of the semester.

Once they arrive, students would be tested twice a week, Colby has said. To streamline the process, the school said it would have students, faculty and staff self-administer the nasal swabs, then drop them at collection points around campus, with results returned within 24 hours.

I do not believe that Michigan required any pre-arrival or arrival testing, and AFAIK, they are not conducting surveillance testing, other than of athletes. My info may be out of date or only apply to off-campus students.

Their dashboard references pre-arrival testing so perhaps it was required for some segment of the population.

https://campusblueprint.umich.edu/dashboard/

For goodness sake, the plan was always to isolate and quarantine to prevent spread back in the hometowns. This is common sense! That the colleges welcome them back, foster a perfect petri dish, and then distribute the students and virus back home is nothing short of infuriating.

Strong disagree. For good or for bad, if 2020 is about anything it’s about calling people out and not brushing things under the carpet to get along. My school district is reopening and the union leaders told us that they fully support mask rules for the staff, and to come to them first to talk about a teacher who is a repeat offender, but that they will go to the admin if someone is not adhering to rules. For a union to say that they will report you to admin is a first for me, and I fully support it.
The students who flout the rules (especially the frats who always flout the rules), no matter how much money they may donate when alumni, need to be held with their feet to the fire. I’m not sacrificing my kids’ grandpa so they can do beer bongs.

U of SC makes the front page of the NYTimes, and they are still planning on in person football.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/coronavirus-covid-live.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-2669dce3

U of South Carolina update from last night’s town hall…

1. Positives 1000+ (student pop is about 25K). Less than a dozen of those are staff (sounds like no faculty). Positives are generally asymptomatic to mild - 4 students were taken by health services to local ER as precaution, they were evaluated and sent back as mild.
  2. About half of Greek houses quarantined right now because of positives. (They claim they have followed rules, S19 says he know they were having unmasked parties in private.)
  3. Lots of testing - anyone and everyone who thinks they might have been exposed or just wants to is encouraged to do the rapid saliva-based test readily available on campus. Positivity rate of 25% attributed to university doing rigorous contact tracing and actively seeking out potential exposures.
  4. Wastewater testing of residence halls and Greek houses. If numbers go up, residents are tested and building potentially quarantined.
  5. Lots of positives are off-campus (80% live off campus). Lots of parties being broken up. However, mayor put noose on bars early on, so these are in private living spaces. So far, no increase in nearby non-student population or increase in hospital visits.
  6. Isolation/Quarantine space is showing 70% full on dashboard, but dashboard does not reflect surge capacity waiting in the wings.
  7. More changes to dining being provided - already had GrubHub and remote ordering kiosks, adding additional options there, plus more grab and go, more food trucks.
  8. Already had medical monitoring and support for on-campus positives. Have added for off campus positives if requested.

Bottom line - not closing campus at this time. This is pretty much what they expected and planned for. As long as key metrics (e.g., outside community and faculty continue minimally affected, quarantine space is available), students can continue living on campus and hybrid classes will continue. Many requests to follow the rules - there have been a few interim suspensions.

And Fauci says don’t send the kids home, so there is that.

Oh, I guess I wasn’t clear in describing what is making me sad/worried. There is no part of me that thinks it’s acceptable to flout the rules and throw parties in the current situation. And I don’t think students should keep mum and quietly seethe if they see real flouting. What I’m lamenting is just the fact that these kids are in this situation. I guess I am angry with the wind. That people (especially freshmen) who are supposed to be coming together and learning about each other and excited to meet and grow together are, on Day 1, in a situation forcing them to harshly judge each other. Clearly the rule-followers have the moral high ground vs the flouters. But I’m just sad to see animosity and rifts develop soooo early in freshman year, and I worry that it will be hard to get past these rifts even as concern about Covid eventually wanes. Among all of the casualties caused by Covid, I hadn’t really thought about campus camaraderie and goodwill until recently.

By the way, though, I do think there are questionable instances of “flouting” that do get people unnecessarily in a tizzy. There is a sort of gossipy FB page for my town, where people do a lot of venting. Many complaints are very legit, but there are a lot that really aren’t. One example, there are 3 adorable sisters in town, age 19-24, who I suppose look like they could just be similar-aged friends. They were generously spending time picking up trash from our bike path regularly in the early part of the pandemic, as a healthy outdoor activity. The number of busy-bodies kvetching that these “friends” were getting too close to each other was hilarious. And I’m not sure everyone has the same talent for estimating what’s 5 feet vs 6 vs 7. Maybe hula hoop skirts with 3 foot radius should be worn by all so there’s no question!! I believe comparable situations are popping up on campuses as well. So of course there are extremists who don’t always know what they are talking about, but my post wasn’t meant to imply it is wrong to report real instances of rule-breaking, merely lamenting the need to do so. It just makes me sad, and I believe this animosity can carry over into long-term hard feelings that wouldn’t have developed if not for this $&!@# pandemic.

@SammoJ but life on campus must be so different. I wonder how many parents of kids who are more concerned about the virus still sent their student back there.

My friend with a son at Auburn now seems less concerned even though things getting worse every day. Her son was in quarantine dorm. Made friends! Found a girlfriend! Now bummed he’s leaving quarantine soon. Wow. I guess. Some classes still in person. And he’s having a good time. I just can’t picture that for S19 or D21.

Checked in with S last night to hear about classes, modality, etc. Glad to hear he reports the online (2 of his 5) classes are being delivered much better than the spring. Said the online classes are smaller than normal (and they’re always pretty small) and pretty interactive. We’ve been receiving communication from the school (Wake Forest) that they’ve gone through intensive training and planning all summer. Sounds like it’s paying off.

On the Covid front - very low case count per their daily dashboard. S reports that most (he knows) are taking it pretty seriously and of course a few knuckleheads are doing stupid things like going to crowded bars. He and his friends live off campus and have been going out to eat and gathering at houses but in small groups and mainly outside. Hopefully this can continue. Better than I anticipated.

And even if they did send kids home, things would only change for 20% of the student population, since 80% live off campus.

Sounds like the quarantine dorm is the new “Big Brother House” where love is in the air…lol

So my son now has 4/5 classes online. He’s meeting people, goes on walks daily and doing his work. Just not a big deal.

I was going to wait till tomorrow but testing since 3/8/2020 10,000 tests of both faculty and students and 325 positives combined. You can separate the students from staff in the upper left.

https://campusblueprint.umich.edu/dashboard/

“My school district is reopening and the union leaders told us that they fully support mask rules for the staff, and to come to them first to talk about a teacher who is a repeat offender, but that they will go to the admin if someone is not adhering to rules. For a union to say that they will report you to admin is a first for me, and I fully support it.”

I think you may be on to something here. Students can snitch to their student govt representatives or a student COVID compliance panel, then the student reps can decide if the perceived infraction is bad enough to bring to the university for action.