School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I presume interactions between students during a zoom class would be very limited, wouldn’t they? The classroom would have to be cleaned/disinfected between classes (who are doing that?), not to mention the procedures in place for entering/exiting the room would also mean a lot of wasted time.

Yes. The first party was at a smaller housing with mostly freshmen. I’m not sure if there were students who attended the party from other housing but the the CL assigned there called Campus Safety right away as they’d become uncontrollable. Mind you this students were there just 24 hours of moving. They were sent home the next day. The second incident was at another hall where incidentally the president of the university was quarantining himself as a show of solidarity with the students. According to President Casey it happened down his hall. Apparently this kids has no sense at all considering the where they were and that other students were sent home the past few days for breaking protocol. From what I heard, they lost the privilege to be on campus for fall so they will switch to remote. I am not sure if room and board are being refunded. I am waiting to see what the school does to students found with alcohol and also breaking quarantine guidelines this past couple of days. The students are on a different commons. Oh I think there were 3 more students sent home from a private housing. I can only assume these were upper classman as freshmen and sophomores live up the hill and junior/seniors down the hill where apartments and greek housings are located.

*** So hopefully schools are suing the lab that uses this methodology.***

Sorry, I meant to say USING the lab not suing.

Ditto to all the benefits listed above. Also, the physical health benefits of simply taking a walk and getting some daylight.

At Colgate, if students were having a forbidden gathering just down the hall from the President, it suggests to me that they were having forbidden gatherings everywhere.

Are there better places for students to “meet” each other than in a classroom during a pure zoom session?

Other maybe but not necessarily better. I think this is a fantastic idea for those students comfortable with it. Students want to get out of their dorm and there is little opportunity. Even dining does not encourage socialization. This method encourages academic socialization which is far better than other types of socialization going on. It seems some colleges are happy to lock the dorm door and throw away the key until Thanksgiving. I applaud this idea.

yeah that is so bad. Those kids who broke the rules must be so entitled.

Classes started Aug 27th. So the first 2 weeks are remote classes. Students are given supervised and scheduled 2 hours outdoor break in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon and are assigned an areas on campus. Meals are bagged and delivered to dormitories and other housing everyday. Laundry is scheduled too, like certain days assigned to a specific floor on each housing.

[/quote]

All students are in dorms, right? If so, the unauthorized gatherings happened in clear sight of residential life? How could the kids be partying if they aren’t allowed to leave the dorms? They had alcohol delivered? If all of that is the case then those kids deserved to be sent home. They should be suspended. It’s a small campus and that was such a blatant disregard of the rules. It’s even worse than a fraternity having a party at a house off campus.

[/quote]

Colgate usually has a number of seniors living off campus and there are also Greek houses, which while college owned are set apart from the campus. Not sure if the have RAs in the Greek housing. But probably easier to have a party in those off campus locations vs the dorms.

Why would the student interactions be limited? The students will all be together in one room, making it easy to have a discussion.

Many colleges are having face to face classes this fall. I haven’t paid much attention to the details as far has who is cleaning the classrooms or the protocols for exiting/entering a classroom, but these issues have been addressed.

They don’t have formed frontal lobes, have we forgotten the population we are talking about? I’d be curious to see the male/female ratio of those getting busted.

It is absolutely wrong for them to be breaking the rules.

It is absolutely expected for them to be breaking the rules.

I have a hard time with the $36k consequence for an 18 year old in this specific NUIN case. I understand there is a pandemic. I know they agree to the rules and then break them. It also seems that they were set up to fail, and the burden of that failure should also be on those that set up the unrealistic conditions.

I have no sympathy for the rule-breakers. They not only broke the rules, they planned to break the rules, knowing what the rules were. Moreover, although temptation is tempting, the rule-breakers knew what the consequences would be.

It’s not true that people with bad impulse control have no control whatsoever over their impulses; they can control themselves better if consequences are swift and bad enough that they’re perceived as painful. That’s why consequences should be swift and consequential. Swift is particularly appropriate.

Well that’s not a lot of compassion for people with legitimate issues around impulse control, some who are in therapy for it. And if they planned to break the rules, then by definition they don’t have issues around impulse control.

All around the world 18 year olds work in the emergency services, drive, drink alcohol and go to war in the military. They are legally allowed to have sex, marry and have children. If they can be trusted with those responsibilities and right then they can be told to not party and be expected to comply.

Students are sitting far away from each other (even the closest ones are at least 6-ft apart). With the professor/instructor at a remote location (s/he presumably moderates any discussion), I’m not sure interactions/discussions among students in the class can be carried out seamlessly.

Colgate did test all students who moved to campus. A total 3 tests were done (prior to move-in, move in and 7-10 days into quarantine. Additional surveillance is being done this month and moving forward on top of the water surveillance.

Something to be said about physical presence. Mental and emotional well being. Of course, the safest and probably least wasteful (PPE items used and thrown out) is for everyone to stay hunkered in their closet/room at home or in the dorm and zooming away! :smiley:

Really. I’d like to think those that come up with these newfangled ideas have considered the pros and cons of each. For the pollyannas/pollyannos who have not thought of the cons, it is good that you point out to them, just in case. Me, I’d like to focus on the pros and the possibilities that can extend from this if properly implemented. :smile:

BTW-- not every spontaneous or non-spontaneous utterance/interaction/discussion needs to involve the Professor :wink:

I think this is the frustrating part for most CLs (Community Leaders/RAs) at the school. They cannot police all students 24/7. ALL students signed the commitment to community health prior to moving to campus. Its one thing to oversee students pre-pandemic and another thing now. The CLs have a long lists of things to do and what to tell and remind students what is acceptable. Also on weekdays, they are required to do rounds twice a day and three times on the weekend as late as 1 am. Most of the incidents are happening late in the evening. I hate to say this but some of the students feel entitled and privilege. These are the ones who are always found either not social distancing or not wearing masks when required.

Notre Dame update - ZERO cases today. 7-day positive rate is 1.2%.

It could be that some RA’s turn a blind eye if the infractions include students they know. It’s a tough spot to put kids in. Some schools have outside monitors in addition to student RAs.