School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

My daughter started her classes today remotely. She is able to attend back to back classes at Haverford, Swarthmore, and Bryn Mawr- something that was more difficult to schedule in person for sure. So that’s one small good thing to say about the semester! She loves the classes she chose. Being remote she felt freedom to allow herself to only study things she’s especially interested in this semester. She figures that will make it more bearable.

University of Ohio Update.

We have determined that we can best manage risk to our Athens campus community by implementing a model that carefully increases the number of students, access, and engagement on campus but with a commitment to a lower density model that helps enhance opportunities for safety. At least 7200 students, representing approximately 31% of Athens campus undergraduate enrollment and 100% of Athens-based graduate and medical school enrollment, will be invited to the Athens campus during Phase 2. Total participation in Phase 2 is subject to change based on student choices and exception processes for students with extenuating circumstances. Other students will continue to have robust educational programming and specialized engagement activities virtually.

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2020/09/president-nellis-shares-updates-fall-semester-phase-2

Classes began today for DS19, online, from his bedroom. He had 3 of his courses today and reports there were no technical issues. Lectures were “virtual” using Microsoft Teams. Students had their volumes muted and most had their webcams off as well. Questions were submitted via “chat”. He did report that the professors seemed a little stilted and uncomfortable but that isn’t surprising. I’d expect the same from most people unless they’re habitual Twitch streamers or the like. I’m sure as time goes on they’ll get more comfortable with the process.

My Ford is also attending across all 3. Funny enough…it’s the Swat on-campus experience she probably misses the most (her sister went there…and she enjoyed being on the campus last spring).

For a while, she considered a class at Penn (the full-on Quaker consortium), but a combination of schedule and professor evaluations put an end to that.

@milgymfam @EyeVeee This Ford alumna is happy to hear that things are going well so far in the tri-co community. I’m still a bit sad that my D chose a different SLAC. Wishing your students a successful semester!

We’ll see how well things go over the next few months for those on-campus. Swat took a more aggressive path (IMO because they can afford to, and because I think Valerie Smith is in a league of her own vs. the newer HC and BMC Presidents).

For my D21, it was a matter of living arrangements, since all of the classes were remote anyway. Boxed food, limited interactions and the threat of a school “managed” quarantine/lockdown was just not worth the very limited time with friends. I hope that with so many deciding to stay remote (or in Swat’s case being told to stay home), that the smaller community can safely distance and make it through to Thanksgiving OK.

I think I spoke too soon for my D. She really can’t put her finger on why, but she doesn’t really like the swat class. It has a different feel, both from the teacher and the other students, and she may drop it. She is glad she’s home though. She has a dedicated school space and doesn’t have to live life in a mask except to go to gymnastics practice, which she wouldn’t get to do at all at school.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-shares-fall-after-coronavirus-vaccine-study-is-put-on-hold.html

FYI UK already had announced earliest availability for its citizens is Jan 2021. With this and any other setbacks that might be off the table at this point.

My daughter’s school (regional university in NJ, 10k students, normally 4k live on campus though I imagine this semester its more like 2.5k) is strictly enforcing their policies - the night before classes even began they kicked 7 students (freshman I believe) out of housing - no refund either. Followed by another 3 the next day from a different dorm.

Looking from the link you shared, I deselected ALL campuses and was able to find which campus had the reported fatality - SUNY Rockland (student) and Fashion Institute campus (employee).

The campus looked normal this evening. Students are everywhere, walking around campus, in the village, some students hanging out in small groups. I noticed a group of 5 girls sitting on the lawn in front of one of the housing on Broad st., seem to be enjoying the warm weather and company. Only thing, I noticed only 2 of the girls wearing masks and they’re pretty close together. Anyways, I hope the kids will adhere to the Gate 1 guidelines so they can move on to Gate 3 and then 4.

“The virus moves off campus” from the NY Times this morning:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/briefing/astrazeneca-california-wildfires-justice-department-your-wednesday-briefing.html

They’re doing pooled testing to try to avoid what happened in Oneonta. I believe testing started on Monday. Each campus has a dashboard, so it will be interesting to watch the numbers.

Penn States number continue to climb. They are randomly testing 1% of the student body each day.

I just read that a senior at California University of PA who was on the football team has died from complications related to covid. So very sad.

@Leigh22 It is tragic. Interestingly enough, though, he went to a school that didn’t invite anyone back to campus. Doesn’t take away from the tragedy, just thought it was worth mentioning.

It is sad. I don’t see any information on where the young man picked up the virus. I do see on the college’s site that they announced on 7/31 that the residence halls would not open for students and all fall courses would be remote.

https://www.calu.edu/coronaplan/important-messages.aspx

While people continue to perseverate on the potential health effects of Covid on college students, suicides surreptitiously scale-up across the nation’s campuses. There are no school specific dashboards for suicide. There is no potential vaccine on the horizon. It’s going to be a tough year.

Most of those who would contemplate suicide presumably aren’t very social. Wouldn’t at least some of them be better off living with their families than being mostly confined to their dorm rooms?

Agreed and I would also look at increasing rates of depression, anxiety and other mental health disorders in addition to the increase in suicides/suicide attempts.

People don’t understand that a vaccine is unlikely to be more effective than wearing masks and social distancing.