School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

On the second count, I’d venture to say that in many cases, they are the same. Your venturing to say and my venturing to say are completely anecdotal. It’d be interesting to see some actual studies on this–since mental health of students has been a concern raised along with the physical health and risk of contracting the virus.

@saillakeerie and @GKUnion - Not sure how much of a super spreader it was. The vast majority if not all the students were tested prior to the game. In my mind, that limits the potential spread. The University has already come out with a statement about off and on campus parties after the game that violated the policies in place. They have threatened severe penalties for future problems. These notes came from the Provost, not Fr Jenkins. As you might expect, he has lost a credibility with my son and his circle of friends.

The Ivy League has officially canceled winter sports.

According to Notre Dame’s football coach, not a single player has contracted COVID after that game.

I agree. In my anecdotal world, the students that stayed home are depressed and lonely. The students that live under restrictions at college are dealing with it. My D made a ton of new friends, loves being on campus etc. Her friends at home are miserable and the thought of being home another semester is extremely saddening. This is not what they planned.

Obviously, introverts or less social students (like people) are fine being locked up at home and having all their social interactions be online. That’s just not the majority of students.

I know a good handful of kids in neither of these categories who are taking a break and working - either internships or tutoring high school kids and they feel like they made a really great strategic decision. And I know kids who went to college and have now decided to take second semester off because it was a pretty bad experience.

My daughter’s 1st semester of her 1st year has been pretty great. Loves her classes, gets along really well with her roommate, making lots of friends and is full steam ahead with an exciting opportunity this summer with her 2nd and 3rd years looking just as full and productive. She has been making connections with her professors and with their help and encouragement has a pretty good multi-year plan charted out right now.

At the same time, her roommate (funny, smart and delightful) has struggled a bit. Hasn’t really connected with any of her professors, isn’t making many friends with the restrictions in place, and hasn’t fallen in love with any of her classes.

It has been interesting to see the differences in their experiences. Both are dealing with the same circumstances but not experiencing it the same way. I’m not sure any one anecdote will tell the story, but then I also wonder if this would be the case even without the pandemic.

Some students make the adjustment to college with all the changes more quickly than others. Perhaps the pandemic in some ways is more highlighting the challenges that always existed for students, and perhaps this could be an opportunity to address those issues both now and in the future.

My son is enjoying school enough that he’s not coming home for Thanksgiving, and I don’t know how long he’ll be home for Christmas.

My son has had a good first semester. He’s much more engaged in his classes this year than last, though I think that’s a result of increasing maturity and deciding on a path, and not related to the covid situation. He did miss the big parties - he is a very social kid and loves big gatherings - but he managed to keep busy with his small group of friends. He’s going to a gym off campus so he hasn’t had to deal with the schools reservation restrictions and that was big for him. In sum, he has had no regrets about going back to campus this fall and is looking forward to next semester.

This is a great post. It should be stickied for all to read.

According to Notre Dame’s football coach, not a single player has contracted COVID after that game.

[/quote]

While I loved watching my alma mater beat Clemson, I’m beyond disappointed at the level of risk that ND has taken over the past semester, which was on display when they let the students storm the field after the game (when anyone whose been to games there for 25+ years knows they can absolutely control fans from accessing the field). The few kids I know well who are current ND students have had covid already this semester. Current #‘s: 1269 undergrads of 8700 have been positive for covid, or almost 15%, and those are the known cases (plus 115 grad students)! One student I know well who lives off campus and who tested positive off campus told his mom that he suspects many other kids have had it but they just never got tested at all. I was glad to hear ND tested the students before the game but in general, ND does not do survey testing anywhere near the level that a lot of other well-resourced schools do. It’s like admin is going for herd immunity. I can’t help but compare that to my daughter’s school of 6600 undergrads, of whom about 6000 are on campus or in Durham this semester, and has a total of only 128 students testing positive this semester (and that includes grad students…this week, 5 of the 9 student positives were grad students). I believe about 1/2 of total student positives this semester were undergrads, so let’s say 1.25 % of undergrads positive…vs. 15% at ND. I strongly believe that knowing they’ll be tested twice a week for covid changes the students’ risk acceptance…they don’t want to get quarantined for 10 days. So maybe testing was ‘adequate’ at ND to ensure another full stop outbreak didn’t occur, but it sure is hard to see that it keeps the infection rate as low as possible. For a school that prides itself on its commitment to social justice and protecting the vulnerable, Notre Dame should have done more. I have a hard time believing there is zero spillover to local communities from college students. St. Joseph county (ND) current positivity rate = 10.8%, Durham county = 4.8% positivity rate. I know some parents who are thrilled that their kids could storm the field and party like the good old days. Not me.

@2ndthreekids I agree that some parents are happy if their kids can party and go to in-person class even if testing isn’t happening in any meaningful way. They feel bad for the kids being tested all of the time and stuck with remote classes. This country is not on the same page with that.

My younger child said the fall was really good, all things considered. Classes were mix of remote and in person, academically challenging. The in person classes were especially beneficial reportedly. This child was in a single and had plenty of time for her friends on campus. Although the fall sport was cancelled the team met for socially distant practices. So despite all my youngest had a really had a good fall semester. Testing twice a week and lots of other changed protocols.

Older one also had a good fall experience reportedly at a different college in a different state. Plenty of academic challenge with a mix also of remote and in person. Although this child’s athletics was in off season they still met with team (socially distant) for practices. Older one was also in a single (everyone was), and tested twice per week also. Visitors were prohibited and other changes, but all in all reports were positive from older child as well. Granted this child would have been studying abroad this semester. But just being able to be with age cohort, teammates and friends on campus, and in person for some classes made it a positive experience.

Friends of theirs who are at home are pretty miserable. Especially younger freshman. The ones who aren’t miserable at home are really very very introverted and okay with the lack of social contact in their age group.

Hang in there all…

I can’t remember if this was already mentioned in the thread, but Tufts has told all their dorm students to pack everything up in boxes before they leave for the semester break in December., even though everyone is returning to the same rooms. Tufts want to be able to easily mail everything to the students if the outbreak prevents them from coming back in January.

wow what a pain. I hope they are providing boxes and tape. Kids should be studying and not using this time to pack up their rooms.

Williams is doing this, too. They’re giving students boxes and a printable label template. I’m pretty sure Wesleyan is as well.

I feel like I read that Bates said the same somewhere…

Uh oh, that’s not a good sign for next semester. Hopefully it’s just a precaution.

Hamilton is doing the same. They’ve asked the students to pack up all their belongings in boxes that Hamilton will provide. They can keep the boxes in the dorm room over break. Should classes be all online next semester, the college will mail the boxes to the students.

@PetraMC, it does sound like a precaution. Otherwise, the college would have to make arrangements to have students come back to retrieve their stuff. That’s hard for students who live a plane ride away.

I am not liking this. Bowdoin saying kids will be on campus this spring and S is re-enrolling. If that changes then he’ll be changing that!

1 Like