School of Neuroscience

Has anyone heard anything about their new school of neuroscience? I’m interested in it, but I don’t know too much about it.

it’s new and the only one of its type. you really need to look into it specifically as most people won’t know much about it yet.

I’m currently a sophomore in the program! What would you like to know?

@HHSHawk omg that’s great! I have a couple of questions, not sure if you’ll know the answer to all of them. First, I applied to VT (and accepted) for their College of Science, but as a major in neuroscience. Do you know if I’ll be able to switch to the school of neuroscience as soon as I start school? Also, how’s the rigor of the classes? Are there a lot of good undergrad research opportunities, as well as work study (paid research)? Thanks so much, hope you can answer at least some of these!

also @HHSHawk how hard is it to get into the honors housing? I have a 3.99w and 35act with a bunch of ECs

Sorry for the delay! And I can totally help with all of these actually.

1. As a neuroscience major, you are automatically in the college of Neuroscience! They now have different submajors though, so youll have to pick one (clinical neuroscience, experimental neuroscience, computational neuroscience, etc).
  2. To be percectly honest, the classes are somewhat rough. I did well in my high school science classes, but I never really learned how to study effectively, so thats probably why! If you devote the time and energy into the work though, youll be fine!
  3. Research! Yes! Thing is, you have to be peoactive about it. Many labs want upperclassmen, but if you show interest and that youre a hard worker, youll get spots. Im technically a freshman, but academically a sophomore, so its a bit harder than it is for me than upperclassmen. Most students dont start research this early but I jumped right in! Im a volunteer researcher at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute in Roanoke in the ARRC lab, and I was just offered a spot in the Sontheimer neuro lab for the fall (Dr. Sontheimer is in charge of the college of neuroscience). Its not paid, but the experience is good! I am also doing consumer behavior research with the Pamplin college of business for academic/honors credit. And lastly, I was accepted into a paid fellowship (research) program at the University of Notre Dame this summer for two months! So basically, I love research. I will be helping out in the office of undergaduate research next year if you ever need help or advice!

Theres a ton of research, you just have to keep applying! However, I do not believe they do paid research for work study. Work study is more along the lines of a job in the dining halls or administrative offices.

As for Honors housing, my experience was interesting. I applied for Honors and housing, and I got both, but I have no clue how other than my essays. I had a 4.32 w and 29 ACT (which is hella low), but I was offered both! As long as your wssay was good for housing you should be fine! I just talked about a community where I felt welcome and comfortable in and how amazing it was. I ended up turning down housing because Hillcrest is crazy far away from everything and I wasent too keen on the Honors res college. But Honors Res College (HRC) is really nice! I opted to apply for the Residential Leadership Community instead with AC and suite style living!

ahh @HHSHawk THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! You’re answers were incredibly helpful. Right, now I’m stuck between William and Mary and VT, and (as someone who wants to do med) I’m really unsure about which school to choose. It’s especially difficult because the whole concept of the School of Neuroscience is super intriguing, however I do know that med schools look at college selectivity, and VT doesn’t really have that.

Those are great options! And no problem!
And the thing you have to understand about med schools is that its not necessarily where you go, but what you do. A 3.4 and william and mary is no better than a 3.4 at VT. Its about the experiences you have and your grades (from what the deans of medical schools have told me in seminars ive attended). William and Mary is well known for being rather harsh with grading, so it might be harder to get the same grades there that you might get here. Not saying VT is super easy, or easy at all, but I believe youd have a better chance at a good gpa here. Also, there are literally millions of opportunitues for involvement and wayy more spots for research. Even at the medical school here, which is connected to the research facility. Its a really great environment overall, and if youre a driven person, you will find plenty of opportunities!

I mean W&M looks great obviously, but its not about where you go, but what you do. And where youll be happy of course!

Also, the College of Neuroscience is the first in the nation and is prettyyy amazing so far. The faculty are from amazing schools like Dr. Sontheimer (Yale), and there are going to be a ton of opportunities for neuro research with all the new faculty!

@HHSHawk I am attending this fall with a major in University Studies(undecided) my question is do i have to complete the year in university studies or can i declare a major in between semesters and get classes in that field? My interest lay in science and math and possible pre-med so what classes would pre-med take in The College of Neuroscience?

@Firecell, You can ask to switch before you get here! I switched from Biology to Neuroscience the May before I started my freshman year and they allowed me! Im not sure if the process is different for University studies students, but it should be the same! Also, there are four sub-majors in the college of Neuroscience (clinical neuro, computational neuro, experimental neuro, and one other). The clinical neuroscience major is for pre-med students, and has all the basic classes you need for med school tied in with the major requirements (chemistry, biology, calculus, organic chemistry, etc)!

@HHSHawk How would i go about changing my major?

@Firecell call the college of science and they can talk you through it, or email the College of Neuroscience advisor directly at nsou@vt.edu (Naya Sou).

@HHSHAwk Yeah, I’ve heard about the grade deflation at W&M, but ik a lot of people from my HS who go there and say it’s still great
You’re doing a hella good job convincing me about the neuro school though. Before I read your posts, I was 99% convinced about going to w&m and not even considering going to the VT admit day (i’ve visited the campus before since my sister is a senior there), but now I’m not so sure. I might visit to ask about the neuro school and see the grounds a bit more. Plus, I got into the honors program, which is a plus.