School to apply to

<p>After reading the last threads i feel best that i should apply to Miami RD because of my lowish gpa and act score. </p>

<p>If applying RD what major or school that i apply into at Miami is the least competitive? What can I do during the admissions process will give me a better chance of getting in?
Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>well its not like one college is a lot easier than the other. it depends on the applicant pool for that college. I do not think the difference will be that big.
The only school I know that has a totally separate process is the music school which requires auditions and stuff. Other than that, I believe you apply under the same app for all colleges. </p>

<p>what u can do to have a better chance?
well I dont know ur stats so its hard to know what ur chances are to begin with. but regardless, u should always write a great esssay. UM puts a lot of weight on the essay. its a great place to show them how you are an open minded individual and other personalities u may have. when u write the essay, try to explain how you are aware of current events around the world or how our world is becoming more interconnected. UM is one of the most diverse schools in the US so that may help u out if u show them u understand diversity and global issues.
Also a letter of reference helps a ton. aside from the required counselor evaluation get like 2 more from teachers, hs principal, employers etc.. they go a long way.
Write a letter to UM on the side telling them why u are interested in UM and why u think its your top choice (wether it is or not, u want to make them feel it is). Be very specific here, dont just say its such a pretty school and has great programs. go into detail. for example if u interested in business, go to the business website and quote parts of their mission statement as reasons why UM is a good choice.
Finally, a letter of ur extra curriculars. community service is a big pluss! so if u have a lot of hours, make sure u show it with examples of what u did. also leadership conferences and positions of leadership help a lot. put all that in there. </p>

<p>thats about it. again, without ur stats its hard to know how much of a chance u have.</p>

<p>The extra letters can be excessive....</p>

<p>We'd have to see your stats first, but the application itself allows for space to enter in your extra-cirricular activities and community service. So don't clog up the admissions office with those letters. </p>

<p>One letter that acarta07 mentioned that might be a good idea is the "Why do you want to go to UM" letter. It demonstrates interest, which is what private schools like UMiami look for. I visited 3 times, and met with about 5-7 professors/advisors in the department I'm going into, so I didn't feel the need to write this letter. Though, if you get a chance to visit and meet with people, don't burden yourself with too many additional "letters".</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>