Schools for psychology / pre-med

I’m going to major in psychology and will be on the pre-med track. While the ED deadline is approaching, I still cannot decide which schools I want to ED to. Some schools on my list are UVA, Tufts, CMU, and BC.

At first, I really wanted to go to Tufts because, well, it has a good medical school, people are great and inclusive, and I like the idea of going to Boston. But then I started to hear people there are quirky? hills to climb, and have little school spirit, which is something I value a lot.

I’m having a dilemma because while I really like sports and big events, I also want to go to a smaller liberal arts school, which means school spirit and those big “fun” events are less likely to happen. I’m also very worried about the rigor of the courses. I’m in the IB program, and my grades are pretty good, but definitely not the easy 40/45 type : D

I definitely looked into some more selective schools, but I just don’t think I should aim that high for ED1

please help me decide :pray:t3:

First and foremost, you do not have to apply ED anywhere. If you don’t have a clear first choice, don’t apply ED at all.

Regarding the schools you’re interested in…

BC does have that combination of a smaller school, but still with school spirit and sports fandom. It certainly isn’t the only school that fits those criteria, though.

If you think Tufts is too quirky and not “rah-rah” enough, I can’t imagine you liking CMU any better.

Are you in-state or out-of-state for UVA?

What criteria got you down to these four schools? All fine choices, but I can’t quite infer what they have in common, as opposed to all of the other possible choices.

Could you graduate from all of these schools debt-free? Med school is expensive.

“Psychology and premed” is a fine plan, but it narrows down your options very little. Literally hundreds of colleges have reputable psychology programs and could give you solid preparation for med school.

All of these schools except UVA offer ED2. Maybe you should wait. Work on your applications. As you write those “Why our school?” essays, reflect on, indeed, why? If a clear favorite emerges, switch that application to ED2. If not, that’s fine.

8 Likes

I definitely looked into some more selective schools, but I just don’t think I should aim that high for ED1

Follow your gut…

Have you actually been to the schools? You should not apply ED where you haven’t been, can’t afford if you’re not sure, and you’re not gung ho about.

There’s a zillion schools out there solid for psych and for pre-med and many will be great for you. And getting in RD is very very possible.

If you’re not feeling it, then don’t apply ED. If it ends up not being Tufts but Trinity you’ll be fine.

Maybe you want a bigger public college with an Honors Program, etc. Yes, Boston is a great college town but there are other nearby schools and / or you can always live there later or in summers, etc.

Slow down would be my suggestion.

Visit campuses. Apply to places you think can work but don’t bind yourself - and open up your search to other types of schools.

Good luck.

1 Like

Well…first of all…you aren’t applying ED to schools. You would be applying ED to one school.

If you don’t have a clear number one choice in your colleges, I would suggest you not ED.

Why do you want to ED at all?

3 Likes

In another thread you were leaning toward LACs like Haverford or Davidson. You also mentioned W&M. Those schools as well as UVA, Tufts, CMU and BC can get you to med school. However, to have the most likely path to success, you need to be definitely in the top half, more ideally in the top quarter of students at your pre-med institution. How to assess this is tricky: you can try looking at pre-test optional SAT ranges, for example, and see where your scores put you compared to peers. The rigorous courses most likely to “weed out” premeds areChemistry, Organic chemistry, and other Stem classes. You need more As than Bs in stem classes especially, to be competitive for med school, and many of these premed weed outs are “curved” such that the mean is a B: so you may need to be a standard deviation above the mean to be in A- range. Pick a school where getting a standard above the mean is doable, based on where you stack up compared to the average freshmen. For some kids that would be any school in the country, even the most competitive, yet for others it is wise to dig into the data and go to a school where the odds of you being in the top quarter are high.
CMU for example is filled with highly intelligent stem students so may have more competition than others on your list.
Then also consider class size: some people thrive in smaller classes and struggle in large intro classes: since the weed-out premed courses are often large intro classes, this won’t be a good fit for some. UVA has huge intro classes, maybe others on your list too. I think you should do more investigating before you ED, and maybe ED is not the right choice for you.

1 Like

OP- you do not need to go to a college which has a good medical school, or even any medical school AT ALL. Take that off the table.

6 Likes

Three things immediately come to mind reading your post.

First of all, as others have said you do not need to ED anywhere. If you are undecided where to ED, you probably should not ED anywhere.

Secondly, there are a LOT of universities that are very good for premed and that are also very good for psychology. You could go to any one of at least 200 colleges and universities in the US and find a good program for both. If you have any realistic chance at all to get accepted to Tufts, then you should be in very good shape to be accepted to some affordable university that has very good psychology and premed programs.

Finally, when I hear “premed”, I think “medical school”. When I think “medical school”, I think “expensive”.

Let’s suppose that you pay full price at Tufts. Then you get accepted to a medical school. They you pay full price for medical school. Remember that the cost of university in the US keeps increasing every year. By the time that you are done with 8 years of university, you might very well be getting close to a total cost of $1,000,000. Do you have a million dollars to spend? (EDIT: $700,000 or $800,000 might be more accurate, but this is still a lot).

Backing up a step, can you afford to attend any of UVA, Tufts, CMU, and BC without taking on any debt at all? If you do attend one of these schools, will you still have money left in your college fund to help pay for medical school?

I know a couple of doctors. I have asked them where the other students in the same program came from. The answer was “all over the place”. If you look at any highly ranked medical school, and look where the various students in that program got their bachelor’s degree, you will see a very, very wide range of universities. You do not need to attend a university with a medical school.

Top ranked universities such as Harvard, or Tufts, do get a higher percentage of their graduates into medical school when compared to more average universities (such as perhaps U.Mass Amherst, just to pick a very good but not “top 50” university in the same state). However, most of this, and quite likely all of this, is due to the very high academic strength and determination of the students who start off at Harvard and Tufts in the first place. For any one very strong student, it is not clear whether it is better to start off in the bottom 1/3 of students at Harvard, the middle 1/3 of students at Tufts, or the top 1/3 of students at U.Mass. My personal guess is that in terms of your chances to get into a top ranked medical school, it just does not matter. Your chances of getting accepted to medical school are probably about the same either way. Your ability to avoid crippling debt along the way might depend upon which university you start with.

Just for context, no one in my immediate family is a human doctor. Both daughters did have majors that overlapped a great deal with premed requirements. Both have friends who were premed (at least one of whom is now a doctor, with a couple more friends currently in medical school). One daughter was pre-vet, and is currently in a very good DVM program. Her undergraduate university was not ranked in the top 100 in the US. Her DVM program is ranked in the top 5 in the US. In two years if all continues to go well she will be “Doctor TwoGirls”, but her patients will be large, furry, and will be walking on four legs. She did pick relatively affordable universities along the way which will help her a lot after she gets her DVM.

Personally I would suggest that you do not apply ED anywhere, make sure that you have applied to some schools that are likely to be affordable, and then compare offers when they arrive in early 2024.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.