Schools known for good merit aid

good advice to check the cut off dates. some schools have the nov. 1 cutoff for merit award scholarship consideration.

any new information to add?

offered my D 27K per year.

where should i apply for merit aid?
my stats r 3.9 UW (took 3 APs but got 3 fives. self-studied two and got 4s) 1530+680 SAT, 800Math 2c, 790 physics, 790 US history, 780 chemistry
sidenote: came to the US last year.

What are you interested in? what size college? what geographical location?

imiracle - suggest when you answer mariteā€™s question that you post a new thread and re-post your stats. You will get more responses this way. Also, another question, are you a US citizen? or will you be treated as an International? I guess that doesnā€™t apply for merit (vs need-based) aid, but I am not sure.

well since i got no response for my thread iā€™ll just post here as well. I want to know some schools that will offer me a decent amount of merit aid.
my stats r 3.9 UW (took 3 APs but got 3 fives. self-studied two and got 4s) 1530+680 SAT, 800Math 2c, 790 physics, 790 US history, 780 chemistry
sidenote: came to the US last year.
My interests are chemistry and history probably double major. I am a US citizen and will be regarded as domestic. I donā€™t really mind the size of the college as long as i have people who i can share my interests with. I would prefer some place that is close to the city but the campus doesnā€™t reflect the city. Like Swarthmore is a good example as well as Columbia since its campus is nothing like a city. For location i think north or west like CA will be good. I donā€™t like the midwest or the south.

For students in the top 10% of their HS class, Bard will discount their tuition to the equivalent level of your home stateā€™s state-school tuition. This was in a book that is a few years old now, so Iā€™m not certain it still applies.

from bard website - still good program, but not quite as expansive as all students in top 10% of their class:

ā€œExcellence and Equal Cost Program (EEC) Public high school seniors whose cumulative GPA is among the top 10 in their graduating class are eligible for a four-year EEC scholarship. This program is designed to assist students who would not otherwise be able to attend a private college or university because of its cost. As many as 30 first-year students are selected annually to receive EEC scholarships: they attend Bard for what it would cost them to attend an appropriate four-year public college or university in their home stateā€
<a href=ā€œhttp://www.bard.edu/admission/finances/[/url]ā€>http://www.bard.edu/admission/finances/&lt;/a&gt;

imiracle, i tried to PM this to you, but your box is full.

I would suggest that you consider Rice, as they give nice merit aid, are in a city with a quiet campus, and have excellent chem and good history programs. Itā€™s not crazy southern or anything like Texas stereotypes would have you believe. And Iā€™m from NY, so Iā€™m not lying to you. I had similar stats to yours and got a nice merit aid package.

I know of a program that is not well known, but you can get college paid for no matter what your stats! GPA and standardized test scores are not looked at.

the program is called the metropolitan college

<a href=ā€œhttp://www.metro-college.com/prostudents/default.aspx[/url]ā€>http://www.metro-college.com/prostudents/default.aspx&lt;/a&gt;

I believe it is a joint effort between UPS and the local or state government in Kentucky.

basically, you work part-time for UPS as a package handler and they pay for you to go to school at either the community college or university of louisville (which is not a bad school).

they pay 100% of in-state tuition, $65 per class for books, reimburse you for up to $8000 in loans if you have to take them out and give you a cash bonus at the end of each semester and when you get the degree.

It isnā€™t a full ride, and you do have to work part-time and pass your classes ā€“ but for students that didnā€™t do well in high school, but are willing to work hard ā€“ I think this is a good program. at least you donā€™t have to sign up with the army for 4 years.

I thought I would put this here ā€“ although I have a feeling that most people reading this post have students that would be competitive for better merit awards.

Texas Tech University
offers a fairly robust merit scholarship package. Their honors college may be of particular interestā€¦ posted some summary here, hope this is acceptable :slight_smile:

<a href=ā€œhttp://www.admissions.ttu.edu/meritsch.asp[/url]ā€>http://www.admissions.ttu.edu/meritsch.asp&lt;/a&gt;
Name total per year SAT/ACT class rank
Presidential Plus $63,500 $12,700 NMF
National Merit $3,000 $750 NMF
Presidential Endowed $20,000 $4,000 1400/31 Top 10% or IB
Honors Endowed $12,500 $2,500 1300/29 Top 10% or IB
University Scholars $6,000 $1,500 1250/28 Top 10% orIB
Superior Scholastic Achievement $4,000 $1,000 1200/26 Top 10%IB

thanks zxc123 - both texas tech and texas a & m offer national merit packages. does anyone know which has the better package? does either offer full-ride or just full-tuition? any other texas schools, public or private, known for full-rides for national merit?

Univ Texas at Dallas offers tuition, room and board (in campus apts) for 4 years for NMFs.

my son was a NMF last year accepted to TECH, UT, AM, PURDUE, GA TECH and WEST POINTS PREP PROGRAM (thats where he has gone )ā€¦

TECH had the best NMF programā€¦ it was a monetary amont $12k to 13k per year which essentially covered all the costs (it you are out of state -that is also waived and you receive in state tuition) ā€¦A&M was about 1/2 of total costs, UT was a little less-but other scholarships also availableā€¦

So in answer to your question, TECH had the best NMF package and -especially in the Honors college- had an appealing program to my son. FuLL DISCLOURE I am a TECH grad so that may have had some impact

zxc123 and momoffour - thanks for sharing the info.

took a peek again at their websites. tech has the more attractive package over a & m.

zxc123 - congrats to your s about going to west point prep p.

One comment about Texas Tech, they have some reasonably aggressive scholaships for merit but non-NMFā€¦see link above ā€¦and we have the Cotton Bowl tomorrowā€“ā€¦Being an old alum and attending games is an honest way to relive your college years without appearing too weird! I think:)

I havenā€™t read this whole thread so excuse me if this has already been mentionned, but I read recently that 95% of Ohio Wesleyan students are on some sort of financial assistanceā€¦merit or need based.

lalamomma: CONGRATSSSSSS!!!

Was that U of Florida in Gainsville?

Was that for out of state tuition and r & b??? WOW!!

Southern Methodist: good merit scholarships if you are well pisitioned academically

University of Miami: Great Scholarships

1 Like