Schools known for good merit aid

kei-o-lei, you may want to consider U Rochester also - not quite an open curriculum, but almost and they offer several types of merit. Unfortunately, you only get to use one scholarship, even if chosen for several. (check - earlier deadlines for scholarships).

Good tip . . . I like the size . . . they have an open curriculum . . . .average merit award is ~ $8600 . . . I like the focus on science . . . also strong in music . . child is pretty much a priori down on a Greek oriented school, so not sure how that’d play.

I appreciate the help!

Kei

Hey, you’re lucky: you don’t need to yet !!!

When my rising senior was a sophomore, we started looking at schools in a light way: take a tour, maybe an info session, walk around the campus, just so he could start getting the feel:

• urban, suburban, rural
  • small,medium , large
  • liberal arts, pre-professional, co-op
  • preppy, nerd, jock, etc.

You get the idea: sample some now while there is NO pressure on you and things will start becoming clearer over time.

Also, if there are subjects you like, sit in an a class in that discipline while you’re there.

The worst thing that could happen is that you will not like any of the schools you visit but you will start getting a sense of where you could see yourself . . . all out of the pressure and frenzy of “where do I apply.”

Good luck!!

I haven’t read through this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said, but Rice University gives out merit aid to the top 30% of its students – and it’s a FABULOUS school (residential colleges, great interaction with faculty, lots of research opportunities, very inclusive social scene).

[url=<a href=“http://financialaid.rice.edu/]Financial”>http://financialaid.rice.edu/]Financial</a> Aid at Rice University<a href=“See%20last%20bullet%20under%20heading” title=“For incoming freshmen”>/url</a>

check out the mcdermott scholars program at ut dallas. [The</a> Eugene McDermott Scholars Program](<a href=“EMSP Overview - Office of the Provost | The University of Texas at Dallas”>EMSP Overview - Office of the Provost | The University of Texas at Dallas)

I saw that nobody mentioned the Richmond Scholars program yet. It is an incredibly generous program, which offers full-tuition or full-tuition+room and board to about 1/15 from an incoming class. In addition, Richmond Scholars have other benefits such as priority course selection, or a 3000 $ stipend to be used for a project (chosen by the student) of almost any kind. Check it out: [Richmond</a> Scholars Program, University of Richmond](<a href=“http://scholars.richmond.edu/]Richmond”>http://scholars.richmond.edu/)

Hi ppl 

I have a problem figuring out which university will give me good scholarship/aid . I am an international student.

My stats are just about average - since i am an international 
 figuring out my GPA would be a problem 
 but i guess an average of B - B+

My Sat score is 2030 - 700 M , 700 CR , 630 CW

I plan to do an Undergrad degree in Mech Eng

sorry my stats are -

B- to B

BUMP

Bump 
 any 1 
 some place where i can get a good (or a very good) scholarship ?

International with those stats and needing FA? Honestly, just stay in your home country and save yourself the heartbreak.

Gee, I thought those scores are admirable if you mean ESL and that. I can never top CR 600 practicing.
Don’t just give up. If you got family, relative, remotely known person in NYC who owes you something that you can use for mailing address/ bunking, then try Cooper.
Worry about fees after get in.
Shoulda bring math score up and might need SATII for your major, I’m not sure.

^ Internationals CANNOT just “worry about fees after get[ting] in.” Most schools will reject high-need intls unless they have exceptional stats/ECs; and if they don’t check the aid box and are accepted, they won’t be eligible for aid in any subsequent years.

Cooper is a good choice, but a serious long shot.

I bet s/he can earn or save 5-7K if sleeping (bunked) is taking care of, no? free food can be found plenty around Astor place/Union square ( I won’t get into details)
Peter Cooper would be proud.

Oh I got it, you are talking schools in general.
no, I meant solely of cooper, you’d fill up money thing if you did get in.

any other safety school or match school which I should be looking into ? 
 I mean there are soooo many universities in the US 
 there must be at least 1 or 2 decent universities offering a good undergrad mech Eng degree that should give me some good aid .

Thank you

i have no relatives in the US

Please help me out people

Thanks in advance

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) is that there are very few schools that offer financial aid to internationals and those that do are looking for exceptional students with much higher stats than yours. You will get a better understanding of the American financial aid process if you peruse the threads in the Financial Aid forum here on C.C.

Have you heard how Steve Jobs’ kid is named after the college?
I want to believe that if you want something badly enough and willing to work for it, there is a way.
Even I’ve ended up here in US.
Just don’t lose hope.

If you really want to visit/settle in the U.S., your chances are much better if you do well in your home country’s undergrad and get a fellowship to a U.S./Canadian grad school. My dad came from middle-grade Chinese universities to a mediocre university in Canada, where he earned a Ph.D. in Chemistry–but we are now Canadian citizens and U.S. permanent residents.

Can anyone update this? It’s 2009.