Schools known for good merit aid

For CW, 25k per year brings the COA to 42,000 (not incl. transportation) - their stated max they could afford was 25-30 per year.

1 Like

This thread always underlines that what constitutes good merit is so subjective.

To me, good but not great merit would bring the COA down to the state flagship level, which it seems many private institutions attempt to do. It’s really tuition discounting in the end. Great merit is UAH, etc. where the percentage of overall costs covered may reach the 80% range.

1 Like

I highly recommend taking a look at St. Edwards University in Austin, TX.

They are INCREDIBLY generous with merit aid, grants and scholarships. They look expensive but they are relatiely inexpensive after all of their awards. PLUS - (this is a big one) - They have established exchange programs in 23 schools around the world. This is not one of those “sign up and figure out how to get there” study abroad programs - they have an established curriculum and all of your loans and awards apply to foreign programs so you are basically able to go to dream schools like Notre Dame Australia and about 22 more in every place you would want to learn and grow for your regular tuition without having to pay more - right down to the food and housing.

The campus is BEAUTIFUL. It is located in the best area of Austin - very safe, very pristine.

The students are amazing! Look a their recent stats - the student body is doing amazing things academically, socially and economically from St. Edward’s.

dream schools like Notre Dame Australia<<<<<<<<<<<

I had never heard of this uni before, is the dream just about the destination? 

An underrated school like Illinois Institute of Technology. COA- $65k. DS got a $25k scholarship when accepted, another $10,050 scholarship and a $4000 housing scholarship (when FA came)- so after the $5500 student loan, cost now $20,450.

So a spam post?

Not spam. https://www.stedwards.edu/global-perspective/partner-universities

St Edwards is a gem in Austin

Congrats! Is this merit aid for the honors college or is it part of “regular” admission? Thanks for clarifying.

In case this helps someone else, my son was offered $27,000/year from Hobart, $25,000/year from Furman, $10,000/year from Skidmore. However he ended up attending his reach school, which gave no merit aid.

Offers we got:

William and Mary - Scholarship 25000 per year (Full Tuition and Fees) for 4 years (Honors Program)
Tulane - $15000 per year for 4 years (Honors Programz0
UNC Chapel Hill $19,000 Institutional Grant for first year
Colgate - $58000 Institutional Grant
UVA - Havent gotten award letter yet
Spelman College - 3k for entire year (Honors Program)

@Kyndee1129 the Institutional Grant from UNC is not merit aid though, correct? I did some research and it looks to be need based. This thread is for merit aid.

Skidmore’s biggest merit scholarship is $15K a year ($60K total). However, on top of the scholarship, they met my D’s financial need. They gave us a $50K grant, and the rest of the cost was covered with federal grants. Skidmore is need-aware, but if you’re accepted they meet your need. We’re very fortunate to be given this great offer! However, if you’re a middle class family with little need, Skidmore is not the place for you financially. Unfortunately, it seems as if only the very poor and the very wealthy go to this school. No inbetween. But that’s probably how it is at a lot of private institutions.

1 Like

Again, this thread is about merit money.

Using info I learned here, DS got just about what we hoped/expected in merit. 33 ACT, 3.8+ UW GPA -

Eckerd College - Founder’s Scholarship ($21000/yr + $2000 Honors Program Study Abroad - $86,000 total)
University of Puget Sound - Trustee Scholarship ($25000/yr - $100000 total)
Dickinson College - John Dickinson Scholarship ($20,000/yr - $80,000 total)
University of Denver - Chancellor Scholarship ($27000/yr - $108,000 total)
College of Wooster - Dean’s Scholarship ($31,000 yr - $124,000 total)
Occidental College - Honors Scholarship ($10,000/yr - $40,000 total - this was a slight disappointment)

Surprise for us was UMiami. We thought he’d get a decent award from them and he got nothing.

@Collegefortwins wow you certainly covered the US

Yes we did! We were on a quest for merit money at a small-medium college, in or near a large city (although you’ll note a couple of exceptions there!) that was not in the SE (FL was not considered SE??).

Saint Louis University. Merit scholarships from $8-$23k, which go further here than in similar schools on the coasts.

It helps to cite the merit $ against the total COA..

Saint Louis University. Merit scholarships from $8-$23k, COA $56000/$224000
College of Wooster - Dean’s Scholarship ($31,000 yr - $124,000 total) COA $64,250/$257,000)
University of Denver - Chancellor Scholarship ($27000/yr - $108,000 total) COA $70,162/ $280,648 etc.etc

Otherwise is it is bit like a JC Penney sale. 
1 Like