Schools that have a sizable african america population, but aren't HBCUs

<p>When i say this, i'm talking about schools like Mercer, Georgia state, and UNC-Greensboro that have a sizable black population (at least 15%), but aren't like 90% black like HBCUs are. Does anyone know any schools like this other than the ones i listed?</p>

<p>Wesleyan College
University of Memphis
Bethel U
UNC Pembroke
UMBC</p>

<p>thanks! i especially like the diversity at UNC pembroke. 30% african america? that sounds like it’s right up my alley.</p>

<p>UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-COLLEGE PARK! I love the diversity that UMCP offers, along with it’s beautiful campus, top-notch athletics, and proximity to DC and Philly (my hometown)!</p>

<p>I second the UMD College Park suggestion. Maybe Towson University as well.</p>

<p>Oh, and another college you gets should check it for diversity is the university of alabama-birmingham. I believe the AA population is 27%, and the medical program at the school is stellar!</p>

<p>Bryn Mawr is surprising diverse. A little better than the average competitive college.</p>

<p>University of Houston is one of the most diverse colleges. </p>

<p>I would look more at how big the school is because more than 15% could mean more than 40, 400, or 4000.</p>

<p>Also, I personally am seeking colleges that value diversity. That have diversity programs like Posse, or flyins for minorities, and strong, active black communities (like Harvard’s!).</p>

<p>Duke has a pretty active black community and gives out early acceptances and money for visits to a bulk of its black accepteds.</p>

<p>Emory University - It also has the advantage of being near a few HBCUs including Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spellman. I know during some of Emory’s major events I’ve seen students wearing the sweatshirts of those schools, so I’d assume that there’s frequent mixing between Emory students and those at other Atlanta area colleges.</p>

<p>East Carolina University</p>

<p>I wouldn’t really say emory is that close to those HBCUs you mentioned. I stayed at emory for a week, and it’s not even in the heart of atlanta. It’s like in it’s own bubble.</p>

<p>Georgia State is the one that comes to mind (though you already listed it).</p>

<p>Rutgers may also be good.</p>

<p>Anyone have anymore suggestions?</p>

<p>Agnes Scott- 35% african american (it’s a women’s college near Atlanta)</p>

<p>That sounds good hahaha except i’m a guy!</p>

<p>U of Texas-Arlington (Dallas-FW area)
DePaul University
U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Saint Louis University</p>