Schools with Academic Support

We have friends who sent their son who has ADHD to St. George’s and while I don’t know specifics about the type of support that was provided, they raved about how very happy they were with how everyone at the school worked with them to help their son. It was 15 years ago though so I don’t know if that would still be true today.

1 Like

We had the same experience when we visited SGS with kiddo1. I loved that the academic center is so accessible to students and the kids and teachers seemed so welcoming. We also enjoyed our brief conversation with the Head of School. We really hope kiddo2 is equally impressed when he tours, as it’s definitely a frontrunner in our minds.

@lindquik This is great news. I would have to assume that a school that handled ADHD well 15 years ago has only gotten better at it over the years! We will definitely be asking more about the specifics of how they support students when we visit, but it’s great to hear about students who have excelled during their time there.

1 Like

SGS sounds promising, indeed! Please keep us posted what you find out in terms of specifics of support and workload.

Curious if you have already looked at or ruled out any of these schools in terms of fitting your criteria:
Govs, Tabor, Lawrence Academy, St Mark’s, Pomfret

We have Tabor & St Mark’s on our list as well. It has been an ever evolving list, so the others may pop up on there too at some point!

I am really happy thus far with The Hillside School. (a junior boarding school in Marlbrough, MA) My son has adhd so he takes an extra organizational support class. There are a number of add-on classes one can choose from to meet all different learning styles and needs.

2 Likes

Which northeast schools have academic support avail w/o having to be enrolled in a separate $$ program?

I don’t know what kind of support you’re looking for, but Canterbury has a full learning center that offers academic support to all students. There is no extra charge for its use.

@Lax99 What type of support are you looking for? One on one, drop in, specific remediation? Specific LD? Executive Function coaching? Tutoring?

1 Like

Suffield, Avon Old Farms both have robust learning support services without it being an individualized program at an additional cost.

1 Like

Mainly test taking strategies, help with working memory, verbal processing. VERY good work ethic but has trouble absorbing and retaining new info. Very high GPA at local high school but at private high school/college may struggle in some areas?

Berwick Academy in South Berwick, Maine has an academic support center where you can get help with organizational/executive functioning skills, etc.

it’s open to students daily and we don’t pay extra for it.