Schools with "harsh" fraternity and/or sorority systems or those with disagreeable practices

But how could they not? What are they going to do, have students sleeping on the floor?

I hope this thread doesn’t devolve into a food fight because, like it or not, greek life is part of the landscape on many college campuses today.

While I have been accused elsewhere of “dominating the thread with support for these organizations,” I am actually pretty ambivalent about the role that GLOs play in the social life of university students. When my daughter decided to pledge, I made it my business to find out about how the system works. What I found online was a lot of hyperbole on both sides. Like everything, I think the reality is somewhere in between. I’d like to see a discussion that provides information that could actually help kids and families make decisions about greek life based on that reality.

@Marian, at other schools some girls just don’t get to live in the house. Most of the time it is based on grades. The members with the highest grades get to pick their rooms first. The ones that don’t get a bed have to find off campus housing or live in the dorms.

edited to add - At least with the schools that I am familiar with, only sophomores live in the house. It’s not like Animal House where every member lives in the fraternity house.

@Marian That was a misconception I had, too. I assumed that most houses were just that—houses where the people in the sororities or fraternities lived. At many schools that’s not the case. At D’s school, the “sorority house” is a floor in one of the dorms, and most girls don’t live there.

This sounds good. I have a friend however, who told me that at her daughter’s school, the T shirts given out were all size small or x small, so it was more apparent who was thinner and who was heavier. :frowning: It was a calculated thing by the sororities.

1 Like

@surfcity Wow. Just wow.

I don’t think posters need resumes, but examples would be helpful. Maybe people who have been in the system, or know someone who has, could explain what the recruitment process is like at the houses they know about for those who haven’t experienced it. Which houses have you had experience with and what do they do that’s “physically and mentally grueling”?

I only know of two houses. One of my sisters was in Sigma Chi in FL in the 70’s. She loved it. I didn’t care for the set up because they had a fraternity matched up with each sorority and the frat members were referred to as “big brothers” while the sorority members were called “little sisters.” I thought that was pretty sexist. If they wanted to encourage a familial relationship, why not just use “brother” and “sister”? Why put the women in a subordinate role? It seemed like the fraternity existed to be doers and the sorority existed to be helpers. My sister’s descriptions of their activities sounded like the men were training to be executives and the women were training to be their supportive secretaries or wives.

The only fraternity I know of is the one in the Northeast that my husband pledged at, also in the 70’s. He and a couple friends were engineering majors and the frat (whose chapter name I don’t know) purposely kept them up all night the evening before a major exam. The boys all failed so badly that they were dropped from the major.

I don’t believe that the behavior of one chapter should reflect badly on other chapters or that sororities or fraternities are inherently bad. There has to be some measure of personal responsibility. My sister didn’t have to settle for being what I consider a second class citizen. My husband could have walked out anytime he wanted. The boy in the thread ucbalumnus posted a link to could have accepted that knowing not all students would get a bid meant that he might be one of them. I think the way the frat handled it was horrible; they should have let the boys they weren’t giving bids to out early so they could make the rounds at other parties. But no fair trying to join an exclusive club then crying foul that they’re exclusive. We need to do a better job of teaching our young people to stick up for themselves. I was reserved and shy as a teen, so I get it, but mindlessly engaging in an activity that’s not in your best interest because somebody else told you to is reminiscent of the grade school ploy, “If you do x, I’ll be your friend.” If young people are still falling for it when they get to college, we’re doing something wrong.

This is what I consider to be physically and mentally grueling, especially for an incoming freshman. Here is the first day of a five day recruitment schedule for a large SEC school. All days start at 6am. An “event” is a visit to a house.

6 a.m. Breakfast
7 a.m. Meet buses

Event 1: 8 – 8:20
Event 2: 8:35 – 8:55
Event 3: 9:10 – 9:30
Event 4: 9:45 – 10:05
Break
Event 5: 10:30 – 10:50
Event 6: 11:05 – 11:25
Event 7: 11:40 – 12:00
Noon – 1 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Meet buses
Event 8: 1:45 – 2:05
Event 9: 2:20 – 2:40
Event 10: 2:55 – 3:15
Event 11: 3:30 – 3:50

In my opinion, many (not all) colleges have a Greek system because students involved in activities (like Greek life) tend to return the following year(s) rather than transfer/drop out. It’s in the interests of colleges to have a Greek system.

I really like Pizzagirl’s posts and comments. I can’t name specific colleges that I think have a “harsh” Greek system.

Since this thread is about naming names, however, I will give my secondhand perspective of the sorority rush process at Rollins. The goal is for every potential new member (PNM) join a sorority. There are more slots than PNMs. Rush doesn’t begin until second semester. There doesn’t seem to be any hazing or looking down on non-Greeks. If you want to join
 fine; if not, that’s fine too. These are all good things.

Here’s my observation: don’t assume that the Greek system at one college is similar to that at another college. Don’t assume that the Greek system at a particular college today is similar to the Greek system at that same college in the past. Don’t assume that all of the fraternities or sororities at a particular college are similar to each other. Don’t assume that individual chapters of national fraternities or sororities are similar to each other.

Re: post 27

Students aren’t required to visit every house, are they? What’s to stop them from just doing just events 1, 3, 5, 8, and 10, or whatever other combination they want?

If you do not know anyone who is already in a sorority, how do you find out when rush is and how long it lasts? How do you know which sororities require recommendations or whether special wardrobing is needed for certain events? Do you have to pay a fee to rush – where do you find that out?

Also, anyone have insight on the ethnic sororities? Do they rush the same time as the traditional sororities or do they have their own schedules?

CAMidwestMom, your son should investigate whether summer rush is common at his school. Many SEC fraternities will have events in various cities to get to know the freshmen. Houses that do this will already know who they want before the formal rush period.

Austinmshauri, women must go to every event they are invited to at every house or they will be removed from the process. They have to give everyone a chance and vice versa. It is beyond grueling – and remember that this involves walking all over campus all day in beautiful hair/clothes in 98 degree heat in places like Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, and Tuscaloosa in August.

Indiana is the only school left in the country with a bed quota, and even it is changing a little bit (there are a few unhoused sororities). Everyone else uses a quota system. Some of the SEC schools like Ole Miss and Alabama have excellent placement rates, over 90% of women who start the process join. They do a pretty good job letting students know how to prepare over the summer.

@PragmaticMom, you can easily Google the information. Most schools will have official recruitment webpages and guides.

Isn’t the high level of racial (self-)segregation within some campuses’ systems itself an undesirable characteristic?

@ucbalumnus: If significant social capital is tied to greek membership on that particular campus, I’d want my daughter to explore all the options, including ethnic sororities if they exist.

I’m going out on a limb here, but my inter-racial child may ‘find’ better fit with an Asian sorority perhaps. Or, maybe the ethnic sororities are more eager to add members and therefore easier to get into?

@deega123 – where do you start if you don’t know what the names of the sororities are?

@Hanna The summer rush is in late July and by the fact that it fills to capacity every year, I would say it’s pretty popular. I know he has texted his friend in the one house and has texted with the President and been invited up for a visit. There is informal rush, but I don’t know anything about it. I know Greek is big at his school, but I myself have no experience with it and my older D’s experience was, during week of welcome she texted me that she decided to rush because you get a free t shirt. She really liked one group right off the bat and got into that sorority, no recs no hair dressing etc.

Anyway, I don’t want to get over involved, but I also want to know what he’s in for.

@PragmaticMom Just Google the name of the school + fraternity recruitment or sorority recruitment. The recruitment process is run by Greek oversight organizations, not the individual sororities or fraternities. IFC is for frats, Panhellenic is for sororities. All the info for a particular school should be on the IFC or the Panhellenic web pages.

What I am suggesting is that, for someone interested in joining, a campus where it is common for fraternities and sororities to have members of different race/ethnicity from their historical race/ethnicity (e.g. non-white people in historically white chapters, non-black people in historically black chapters, non-Asian people in historically Asian chapters, non-Latino people in historically Latino chapters, etc.) may be more desirable than one where it is unusual for that to happen.