science at St. Johns

<p>I heard about St. John's progressive thinking, and I love it. It seems perfect. However, I am a little worried because I really want to major in genetics. I don't mind most of the program, but I am worried that I will be missing out on lab time and the specialization that comes with a major. Is this a legitimate concern? If I decide to go to med school I am worried that where ever i go, they will not accept St. Johns as a good education. Do many St. John's students get into med or grad school? If I do decide that I need to go to a school where I can pursue a specific major, does anyone know of schools with similar attitudes towards learning that also have majors?
thanks!
-emily-</p>

<p>As part of the Saint John's recruiting process, accepted students are contacted by Saint John's alumni.</p>

<p>If you wish, I can give you the email of Mr. Baca, the man who contacted me. He currently works in the medical field, and may have some information for you.</p>

<p>that would be great to talk to Mr. Baca! I did try talking to admissions, but they seemed very unwilling to answer my questions. as for you Harrison, do you know anyone who is currently a student who is interested in a specific science? and how are they managing without a specific program?</p>

<p>-emily-</p>

<p>We actually have a high percentage of students who attend med school after St. John's (I forget the exact number and can't find it off hand). Grad schools are sympathetic and understanding towards the school and if you decide to pursue that path, you will definitely have to take additional classes in certain fields. We simply do not have enough organic chemistry for people wanting to enter medical school, so I know the bare minimum would be an O-chem class, and that can be met with summer classes or an additional year of classes somewhere else. I do not know if you apply to medical school before those classes or after.
We do have a significant amount of lab time, in fact, the hours work out so that we spend more time in laboratories than any other class during the four years. So, its not like you don't touch any science. I know of one person off the top of my head who is currently interested in medicine and she is currently doing a research internship (she's hard to contact). If I think of anyone else I can try to send you some names.
In the meantime, here's admissions' brochure on what people do with a St. John's degree, and it will show you where people who have gone on to graduate school have studied. (it is the last pdf) St</a>. John’s College | Admissions Publications</p>

<p>Emily, could I get your email please, to send to Mr. Baca?</p>