Science competitions for high school students

Hi all,

Hope everyone is healthy and well! My son has started the 9th grade and I am looking for any science competitions and opportunities for him. He wants to study Medicine later so he is interested in anything related to biology/chemistry. Does anyone have any experience? I heard a bit about the Science Bowl, USA Biology Olympiad and USA Chemistry Olympiad but any comments and opinions would be much appreciated.

Look at what his high school offers. Most have various Olympiad teams and a host of clubs.

3 Likes

Some high schools also offer research as a co-curricular activity, and if you have good research outcomes, you can enter your research in appropriate competitions – e.g. ISEF etc.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to CC! Science Bowl is a fun competition that my children have enjoyed. That would be a good place to start and nurture an interest in science with other like-minded students.

Future Health Professionals (HOSA) could be also be great fit for your child. It’s a national organization that hosts various competitive events on topics in the healthcare field. Additionally, our HOSA chapter hosted guest speakers and arranged shadowing opportunities for members. If your school does not have a chapter, your child could start one or join an established team (my child did this).

Definitely look into whether your school offers a science research class. A research class will provide a structured environment and guidance in the scientific method. Often, the instructor will have connections to mentors within the scientific community too. At the end of the class, students present their research projects at a symposium and can also submit them to science fair.

Lastly, students cannot simply submit a research project to ISEF. Students earn entrance to ISEF by competing and winning an ISEF-affiliated science fair. As a rising senior, students can submit research directly to Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS).

Explore your options. There may be other clubs or organizations in your area.

What about internships? Does anyone have a list of any good internships for high school students?

So much depends on your location. NIH has internships.
https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/hs-sip

Also Army research labs, Navy research labs.
Some major employers also have internships. But, many employers still in hybrid or remote work conditions may be slow to have youth internships.

See the pre-college summer forum