Science path

<p>My D wants to go into Mechanical Engineering. She is currently taking regular Chem 1. They want her to take Physics next year. A friend’s daughter is taking Chem 1 honors now and then Chem 2 AP next year. My daughter has an A now and I think she should move to honors to get her GPA up and look better to colleges. There is no Chem 2 honors offered. She needs to step it up and get her low GPA up if she wants to get into college. What do you think?</p>

<p>Many colleges want to see the 3 main sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics. At our high school they recommend making sure you will have all of those before taking Environmental Science, AP Bio, AP Chem, Anatomy, etc. so as to keep all your options open. I’m not sure what year your D is. If she’s a sophomore so that she can take honors Chem 2 next year and Physics senior year, that should be OK - it makes sense to take Chem 2 while Chemistry is fresh in her mind. But she’ll want some background in physics if she’s going to go into engineering.</p>

<p>Yes, she took Biology last year and would take Physics as a senior.</p>