Scores/financial aid question

<p>I am an out of state (Michigan) applicant and had some questions about financial aid. Aside from merit scholarships, what out of state aid is available? I was also curious if I could send my September ACT score after I send my app in earlier. I want to do this because I want to make it into HC and get a better merit scholarship. Thanks!</p>

<p>You can apply earlier and send your higher test scores in later on. You won’t be accepted until you submit scores that are “good enough for admission,” but if you send the lower scores in now and later submit higher scores, UA will award scholarships based on the higher scores. The September ACT is one of the last testing sessions you can use for scholarship consideration, so you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>Besides the university-wide merit scholarships, there is the $2,500 per year and supplement to pay any additional tuition costs (if any, course fees of approximately $350 per semester are not included with any scholarships) should you get a 30 or higher on the ACT or equivalent SAT score. Apart from that, there are some departmental scholarships, though those are usually given to students who didn’t receive one of the bigger scholarships. UA also awards Federal financial aid (loans, Pell Grants, Work Study, etc.), but does not guarantee to meet full need as determined by ones FAFSA.</p>

<p>All right, my goal is to get the cost down around 17k a year or less. That is how much Michigan State costs. I have a high enough score to get in, currently. I am retaking for the benefit of HC, scholarships, and my reaches. How do I resend scores after admittance? Also, when will the new app be available for the class of 2012? UA is looking better and better every time I look at it. Tied for my number 1 pick at safety, for sure. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>The application is scheduled to open on July 5th. To send your scores after admittance, have ACT/SAT send your higher scores to UA. Normal processing is fine or you can list UA as one of the 4 schools to send your scores for free before taking the test.</p>

<p>By $17k, do you mean tuition, room, and board, or are you including all expenses?</p>

<p>I highly suggest you visit UA and contact the Honors College to set up a personalized visit. Once you visit, UA might become more than a safety; it might become your first choice.</p>

<p>my goal is to get the cost down around 17k a year or less. That is how much Michigan State costs.</p>

<p>These are the costs for Mich State. Is this what your parents have agreed to pay?</p>

<p>In-state tuition and fees:… $11,153<br>
Room and board: … $7,770 </p>

<h2>Books and supplies:… $1000 </h2>

<p>Basic costs…about $20,000</p>

<p>Estimated personal expenses: $1,252 </p>

<h2>Transportation expense: … $486</h2>

<p>Total COA…about $22,000</p>

<p>Didn’t realize prices were jacked that much up… Budget cuts have been awful. Basically, we need to get it around there, hopefully less.</p>

<p>Well, talk to your parents about how much they’ll pay. If they’ll use MSU’s costs as their benchmark budget, then that will be easier to reach and hopefully exceed! :)</p>

<p>My parents are definitely willing to afford MSU, but if I can get it a lot cheaper that would be a lot better. A lot of people in my family don’t think I should go out of state, so I really need good aid to convince them. Does the HC like to give out money? I know MSU and UM both have great FA for HC students, so that was why I thought maybe they would.</p>

<p>*Does the HC like to give out money? I know MSU and UM both have great FA for HC students, so that was why I thought maybe they would. *</p>

<p>MSU and UM honors colleges may give out merit money (not FA, I don’t think) because perhaps the university doesn’t give out large merit like Bama does. </p>

<p>It really doesn’t matter under “which way” the money comes…either thru the univ or HC. At Bama…the money comes thru the Univ. I guess it could pass it thru the HC, but what difference would that make? </p>

<p>Virtually all scholarship recipients qualify for the HC at Bama, so it makes no difference which “pot” the money comes from.</p>

<p>My parents are definitely willing to afford MSU,</p>

<p>Ok…well show them the above COA for MSU …which is $22k.</p>

<p>So, if you can get below that amount, going to Bama will be a good economic choice?</p>

<p>*A lot of people in my family don’t think I should go out of state, *</p>

<p>Why is that? Do you mean your parents? </p>

<p>But, to answer your question…no, the HC doesn’t have a budget for scholarships except for some scholarship money for some CBH and UFE students. The scholarship budget is largely handled thru the univ Scholarship office.</p>

<p>When I look at MSU’s website…an OOS student isn’t going to get more from MSU and its HC…than an OOS student would get from Bama.</p>

<p>MSU doesn’t have any guaranteed merit scholarships for OOS students (except NMF), so an OOS student with an ACT 30 and Top 5% of class is likely ONLY going to get $8k per year from the HC to go to MSU.</p>

<p>Honors College National Scholarship
Awarded to out-of-state Honors College invitees who are U.S. citizens or permanent aliens, or citizens of Canada or Mexico; $8,000 annually for eight semesters
*. To be automatically invited to the Honors College, applicants must be in the top 5 percent of their graduating class and have an ACT composite score of 30 or above or SAT combined score (critical reading and math) of 1360 or above. Students possessing achievements just below these standards are screened by the Honors College admissions committee and may be asked to submit additional information before being considered for Honors College membership. *</p>

<p>Contrast that with an OOS student that applies to Bama with an ACT 30 and a 3.5 GPA (and may be in the top 25%)…that student will get $14k per year.</p>

<p>My parents will let me go where ever they can afford and where I’ll be happy. Currently Bama is about 30k a year, so I need to get up to a higher scholarship level.</p>

<p>I’ve forgotten what your stats currently are? Are you at an ACT 27?</p>

<p>Correct, I will take it again in September.</p>