Scratches after taking computer for repair-ASD son

It’s not about getting everything you want. It’s about letting the kid know there is nothing wrong to feel being taken advantage of and standing up for his right. It may require a parent’s intervention now, but a kid can also learn from his parent on how to handle it.
My kids do not have disabilities, but I have intervened on their behaves when they were growing up and they have learned from it.

3 Likes

Even though someone here suggested not contacting the repair place (IT on campus), my son did want me to contact them.

Then do it!

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for the Skinit link. I didn’t know this was even a thing. I will show to my son. I feel like it is more about him knowing the scratches are there though. Maybe after some cool down time he will consider it.

That’s a great idea.

Also, check eBay, which has TONS of used and new parts for laptops. You might be able to find something reasonable there.

That being said, if you’re getting DS a new laptop anyway (I think I read that upthread), perhaps that’s the way forward?

1 Like

It sounds like your son reached out to you and asked for your help with this. That being the case, there is no harm in you contacting the IT folks who did this work…and expressing your concern about the damage done.

At some point, you could also put this in writing with supportive picture of the damage.

Nothing ventured…nothing gained.

1 Like

I knew it was important to him too since he actually called and spoke to me and did not text. I don’t think in the 4 years of college he has ever called-texts often, but I can’t recall him ever calling.

This says it all. So…make the call.

1 Like

Np. This is another well known brand.

1 Like

Just empathizing. My spectrum kid would be extremely bothered and would perseverate over those scratches. I would also try to find a solution, reaching out to the company, trying to replace the part, etc…

1 Like

Update-I have a message out to Disability Service to get advice on how to proceed. I have not contacted IT services yet. Son says that the Disability Services counselor contacted him but he has not listened to the voicemail.