Searching for a missing phone

<p>Since I know this forum is very active and I suspect there are a great deal of lurkers in addition to those that post, I thought I’d take a chance and try here.</p>

<p>On Thursday evening (1/17) my son met some friends at his Riverside dorm and they walked to a restaurant (I don’t know which, I know it serves Chinese food). When he got back to his dorm that night he realized he didn’t have his phone.</p>

<p>He has looked through his own dorm room and that of the friends he met, he checked with the restaurant and also checked to see if it’d been turned in to his dorm and has had no luck finding it. He thinks he must have dropped it during his walk and has retraced his path twice, but hasn’t run across it. We’ve discussed replacing the phone, but he’s still hoping that maybe he’ll be able to locate the one he lost as it has contacts and pictures that he won’t be able to replace.</p>

<p>If anyone near the north side dorms happens to run across a phone or hears of anyone that does, please message me. It’s an HTC Inspire. It’d REALLY improve his week if he got lucky and someone turned it in somewhere.</p>

<p>Is there an official lost and found? Otherwise, I would check in at the nearest residence hall front desk (close to where he walked) and see if someone turned it in there.</p>

<p>Does your phone service have that “tracker” ability? If so, go online and sign up for it. Then put in your son’s phone number and the time. It will tell you where it is if it’s still on.</p>

<p>for instance, for Tmobile, it’s called FamilyWhere and you can get it free for a month.</p>

<p>In our experience, each building/dept seems to have a lost and found. Not sure where they get consolidated to. Have him check in every building + dorms along the route, and esp the Ferg. Not sure if they are open Monday? If it has a lock/password feature on the phone, it will be difficult for anyone to return it to him directly just by calling him, because they would not be able to access his contact list. Also, call the UA police dept (located down past Moody Music and East Edge), as someone might turn it in there. Thurs was the tail end of snow/slush, so not sure what condition it would be in IF you found it. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>When/if he gets a phone back, there are many apps to find your phone…even those with GPS coordinates. You may have to have a smart phone with internet to use these. I know there is one called find my droid and I am sure there are others. I hope you get lucky!</p>

<p>is it a “good” phone? an iphone? when those are found, they don’t always make it to the lost and found.</p>

<p>good luck.</p>

<p>if your son’s phone has an online backup feature then his contacts should be safe. Hopefully you have insurance on your phone, and you have notified your provider and shut off the service.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If the battery has run down or he had turned it off, this won’t help. My mom lost the phone I gave her for Xmas last year, and we had to go buy another. Verizon could not help find it because we had not turned on the tracking service before she lost it. Cost a lot for a replacement. :frowning: The salesman was laughing at us as we left the store when I was lecturing her, “Now, don’t LOSE this one”. He said usually parents were saying that to teens, not to 84 year olds. We never did find the old phone.</p>

<p>Call your provider and report it lost immediately. This at least will prevent the dishonest from making use of it as a phone. It will also protect you from unauthorized charges, etc.</p>