Seattle U vs LMU vs Oregon State for CS

Hello

For CS Program which one is the best choice between Seattle u, Oregon state and LMU ?
Oregon state has the better rank however Seattle U gave my daughter a decent scholarship comparable to Oregon state ( we are from California ) . furthermore it may be nice to be in a small school ( more attention etc )

Still wishing for LMU scholarship if any ; they have not announced yet.
Any input is appreciated

Thanks

The first thing I thought of when reading your post is the very different environments across these 3 schools - large state school with sports and big school feel is OS, defined campus smaller size, high student engagement on campus overlooking LA and in the city with LMU and very urban neighborhood with homeless people on and near campus, less campus community (but is there if you look hard enough) and very expensive in-city housing (if not in school housing) at SU. Has you child visited these campuses - as they are so very, very different. I know kids happy at all of these schools - but their personality fits the school type and environment.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe SU has an excellent job placement history for its CS grads.

1 Like

It is true. We have not visited the campus. Was going to visit this winter break but they just announced an admitted student tour won’t be available until March/April. Which is very close to the May decision dead line. So we’ll see
Location wise I think she would like LMU, since we are in California.
I am just not sure if the CS program is good.
I heard probably LMU is better in engineering/cs than Seattle. I hope she can get good package

I’ve never found there to be much difference in the way undergrad CS is taught between different schools. Outside of difference in cost, this will mostly be a decision based on whether your daughter wants a small school vs big school, urban vs semi-rural, college-town experience.

One thing your daughter could do is see if there are any interesting specializations or classes offered by one school that aren’t offered by the other schools.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes she tries to compare available electives and upper course requirements
If costs are same probabaly she will pick Seattle u over Oregon due to the small class sizes and big city/possible internship opportunities. And LMU over Seattle U due to rank and location . She is deferred from Santa Clara U - o/w that would be a great choice for her. But we’ll see, hope luck come our way.

1 Like

rather than comparing the amount of scholarship, can you type the following information for each college:
(tuition, fees, room, board) - (scholarships, grants) = $…
This will help in determining whether there’s a better value or if it’s all personal criteria (small, large, religious, urban, etc)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.