Second bachelors or Masters

I appreciate the response but I really don’t want to do a bootcamp/certificate program. I don’t want to just do coding and want to do something more interdisciplinary which is why I wanted to do engineering.

My husband’s job involves conducting interviews after the candidate has gone through two sets of interviews. He interviews EE’s, CSE’s, ME’s, and CE’s and evaluates their technical strengths.

If you need to have two BS degrees, he would zero in on why and would ask about the inefficiency. Given that his employees are well-compensated with strong salaries and benefits, the employees are expected and required to be on site, full time, and are satisfied with the work that needs to be done. It’s called “paying dues”.

Employees, in other sectors, often ask to be on his team because he teaches as he directs and nominates those who would benefit from a masters program, at any university, compliments of the company. He trains potential managers and puts in long hours to help his employees get promoted. If you are balking, now, at an 8 hour day, without thinking about the consequences of how your work potential/ethic would be viewed by upper management then, you are naive. I guess you haven’t experienced true team work, and rewards, for that team work.

BTW: some of these corporate companies, will conduct credit checks. If you have a large amount of loans, from any educational facilities, then you risk not being hired.

It’s not that I don’t want to work the 8 hours. It’s just that I feel limited in my current role and my role isn’t inventive. My role boils down to two things: following compliance and informing clients what they can and cannot do. I want to wake up every day to job and be able to apply skills and produce for others which I feel I cannot do right now without more formal training. I find it ridiculous that an interviewer would question things such as two bachelor’s degrees when there are people out there who have extenuating circumstances and people who are geared toward career change.

I do not have any loans and was lucky enough to earn my first degree debt free. I started out in a community college too before transferring to a university. So a financial burden would not be a pressing issue.

If you were in a second career and were coming from being a teacher to engineering, then that is something that wouldn’t spark a second look.

These large engineering firms employ former military vets, Stay-at-home Moms/Dads, retired teachers, etc., who reinvent themselves by going back to school.

I’m sorry that you find it “ridiculous” that interviewers would question two of the same degrees, but these companies invest a lot of money to train and further educate their employees, and they expect efficiency, as well as being able to qualify for security clearances. You are the one who has struggled to find employment to fit your goals. I’m giving you a heads up.

If you were ever placed in a position, to monitor/create a budget for a client, the company will need to be confident that the budget will be streamlined to be efficient and cost effective. ME’s can be put in charge of a budget when designing a product. Think outside the box and try not to be so defensive that it pushes your interviewer in a negative direction.

2 Likes

Pls talk to your UT career center folks and they can help you with practice interviews, review your grad school apps. , seek letters of rec, etc.

Many in your year have missed out on in-person work experiences, and rehearsing soft skills will help you.

My kids use their college career center. It helps them alot, plus some alumni employers prioritize hiring there.

See for example
https://utaustin.joinhandshake.com/events/1332641/share_preview

““During this replay event, we will walk through and practice the Technical Interview and a Case-Tech Interview example. A recruiter will also be on the call to answer any questions you may have. This workshop is intended to help candidates prepare for the following Students & Grads roles: Technology Internship Program and the Technology Development Program. Event Agenda: 4:00 - 5:00 EST Technical Interview (30 min) and the Case-Tech (30 min) workshop REPLAY 4:30 - 5:30 EST Q&A breakout room with recruiter available”

4 Likes

You have a right to do what you want. You asked; people with many years of experience gave advice. You do not like their advice -that is fine.
Several things that I would suggest to think about:

1. I hope you realize that you are not 20 anymore. Even many upper classmates do not leave on campus.
  2. If you will go back to school you will not get any financial aid. It is available only for the first degree. Who is going to pay? Instate with room and board is around 30k (varies by state) per year. Out of state - 40-80k. That is a lot of money. I guess you will need 2 years to get a second BS in Engineering. Spending 60K+ with questionable ROI may not be the wisest decision.
  3. Why second bachelor is so important? It makes little sence. People may have multiple degrees. There are even career students. Many degrees do not necessarily translate into jobs that would make you happy or big salary.
  4. If you absolutely want to go back to school with being on campus I would suggest the following:
    Go for Master’s. Your 3.3 GPA is respectable.
    Go for internship at least one semester before graduation in the area that makes you at least moderately happy. That is very important.
    Here the problem that you most likely facing- without an Engineering degree it is close to impossible to get into a Master’s Engineering program. However some less prestigous schools may take you if you will take all the necessary prerequisites.
    Since I had BS in Applied Math like you and at some point in my life I was wondering what to do with it -here the list of fields that can be happy to take you for Master’s program:
    Statistics
    Operations Research
    Actuarial science
    Data Analytics - (with CS elements)
    Cyber Security
    and many more.
    There are many places and jobs where people appreciate analytical brains.
    Here are some learned life lessons. Even if you had a dream job after graduation you may end up in the end in very boring job that you had to take because you have financial obligations, family, an opportunity to work remotely part of the week etc…and life is what you make out of it. It is not only about a job.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.