Seeking additonal information

<p>hey, did you guys get a letter from a UC, (UCSD for me) stating “We are seeking additional information from you to determine if you meet our selection criteria and if you possess the academic ability, preperation, and motivation to suceed in UCSD’s rigorous academic program”
they give me a link to do it.
Does everybody get it? Or is it just only some people?
and if it is only some people, why us? is it a good thing, or a bad sign that you wont make it because they want more information on you?
Oh, and the website they gave me is broken down, so what should I do?</p>

<p>I did not get it. However, I have read somewhere that the UCs do something called "augmented review," which means that they will request further or additional information from you. It means you're on the borderline but you're still within reach so that they seek additional information.</p>

<p>thanks QuixoticRick for the info. But it seems that the only school that does this is UCB. There is no information about UCSD doing this. very wierd.</p>

<p>I have done a search and found that UCLA also asks for supplements, not just UCB, and there is some evidence that UCSD will also request this for borderline cases. </p>

<p>I suspect that UCSD, in line with its highly prescribed rubric for assigning points to a formula for admissions, will send out supplement if a) your point score is too low for admissions as it stands and b) there is a possibility based on entries in your application that you might qualify for additional points that would be enough to put you over the top. </p>

<p>As I understand it from various postings here and on the web, UCSD will assign 150 points for a club president and 300 points for a student body president, but none for any other leadership title. Thus, if an applicant were just below the cutoff total for admission but listed clubs with some ambiguous language, they might seek additional info to determine the applicant's title or role in the organization. </p>

<p>Based on my totally baseless speculation, if the cutoff were 7625 for example and a person had scored 7500, they would not get a request, even with ambiguous entries. If they were at 7590, on the other hand, and items in the application hinted that they might qualify for a few extra points if the admissions reader knew more details, then the request goes out. If no ambiguous items, even when very very close, no supplement. If already at 7650, no point in requesting anything either. Thus you must be just under and give them some cause to suspect that the answers in the supplement might bring you up to an admit level.</p>

<p>UCB does not have a fine grained formula like UCSD and sends out the requests for various reasons that look more like the way a private U will select applicants. They also use the process to seek midyear grades for those on the cusp. The UCB supplement request appears on the MyBerkeleyApplication site for those who are chosen to get augmented review. </p>

<p>UCLA would be more like UCB than UCSD in this regard. There is a fixed URL for supplements, but there might be trouble if someone clicked on that link without it having been requested by the college. Since UCLA does not have an online app status site, they need a fixed URL for those selected for supplements. </p>

<p>I don't know the details for UCSD supplements, but likely the link appears off the TritonLink page where you check your status (and later on your decision).</p>

<p>thanks rider for the good info.
Well I guess I didnt make the cut for UCSD then, but still on the borderline.
And the damn link isnt in the Tritonlink page and I have to do it before Feb 1st. Damn stressful times.
But I also havent even done anything my senior year to impress them. I guess that means I am rejected. Aw man this sucks.
The only thing that stands out my senior year is my 4.0 gpa, which I havent ever gotten before in my life. lol.</p>

<p>Why don't you do it on paper and mail it to them? It's not like they're getting a lot of mail!</p>

<p>well the website is back up guys. So thanks for all your information. I just got an email from them, and it is supplemental application. Ok well wish me good luck.</p>