Seeking civil engineering major

<p>I have updated a thorough forum under "School acceptance" which is relevant to Purdue University.<br>
I would respectively appreciate any opinion from any perspective. Thank you.</p>

<p>Everyone at Purdue is required to take First Year Engineering before concentrating on a particular field of engineering (FYE must be taken before going into the Civil Engineering school, for example). (If you are transferring in, FYE may or may not be required depending on your transfer credits.)</p>

<p>A large number of universities have FYE programs before you can concentrate on a particular field of engineering.</p>

<p>Even with the FYE program, you can still get your civil engineering degree from Purdue in 4 years. (4.5 to 5 if you decide to Co-Op during the school year.)</p>

<p>Since you didn’t post your GPA or extra-curriculars, I have no way of telling you your chances of getting into the FYE program.</p>

<p>My GPA is roughly 3.4-3.5. Not many noteworthy ec’s, besides German club, IASG (Indiana Association for the Students of German), 3 attendances at the German state contest at Ball State, and volunteer work for my community (mainly associated with my German class). Regrettably, discontinued NHS, but acquired a few hours before so (which is totally irrelevant). Also, I won’t be taking my SAT until June of this year.</p>

<p>Based on the acceptances this year, you have a shot at FYE depending on your SAT scores. </p>

<p>You might as well apply to Purdue and see if you get in or not.</p>

<p>Just a heads up… don’t think college will be as easy as high school. Don’t think a 3.4-3.5 GPA will be easy to get. Many friends of mine had a high GPA in high school and received a low GPA their first semester since they underestimated the difficulty of Purdue including myself. Remember you need a certain GPA in your FYE classes before being in the Civil Engineering program.</p>

<p>I already know the degree of difficulty will change leading into college. My GPA is considerably lower than what I’m expected to get. I’ve slacked substantially throughout my sophomore and junior year, probably working at a 65% effort.</p>