Seeking college recommendations for progressive intellectual student

My HS senior has a good list of schools he is applying to (mostly liberal arts colleges). Four apps have already been submitted and he has about 4 more to go. I’m looking for some recommendations for a couple more schools for him that are reaches (like top 20 schools). He has a 35 on his ACT and his grades and activities are comparable. He is a very cerebral, intellectual kid but not a hardcore academic type. He won’t do well in an uber competitive environment where the students are studying all the time. He needs more of a collaborative, supportive culture. And he needs a somewhat progressive environment as he is interested in social justice and possibly law school down the road. He does not care about athletics, Greek life, etc, and is mostly focused on academic programs and student groups with shared values.

We really have no restrictions in terms of cost (do not need financial aid) or location, so that helps open things up.

1 Like

Haverford!

You know, now that you mention it, someone did recommend Haverford months ago. I do not know why it didn’t end up on his list. Will investigate. We did have trouble identifying schools in New England that would be a good match. Everything we were reading suggested heavy on the prep school atmosphere with athletics a big focus. That’s just not for him. But I do think Haverford is different. Thank you!

Are Bowdoin and Bates on the list? Might also add Oberlin, Grinnell, Pitzer, Carleton, and Macalester.

What are is potential majors?

1 Like

Brown, definitely Brown.

Can you tell me about Bowdoin and Bates? My worry is that it is still very “New England” prep school ish. We are from a different part of the country and have been worried about “fit” with the NE schools. Majors: humanities (history, philosophy, literature) and possibly political science.

We looked at the others you’ve mentioned and a few are on the list. Thank you! I think you get what I’m asking for!

melvin123, he’s been looking at Brown and likes it. I think he’s intimidated that it’s an Ivy. Like he’s not competitive enough. I’m trying to encourage him! Do you know much about their admissions and what sort of student they are looking for?

Can anyone speak to whether or not Rice would be a good fit?

My daughter is similar. Here on the west coast I can think of two good options

Reed College in Portland OR: No varsity sports or Greek life. Very intellectual school full of bright quirky kids. Produces some of the highest rates of future PhDs, Rhodes Scholars, Fullbright Scholars, etc. of any liberal arts school in the country. I’m a Reed alum and it might be too intensely academic for some. Expectations are very high. It’s not competitive so much as very intense.

Whitman College in Walla Walla WA: Top liberal arts college that is underrated due to location. More of a traditional school than Reed in that there are varsity sports and Greek life. The somewhat isolated location seems to make the student body much more collaborative and friendly than more urban locations. Students and alums are intensely loyal. We visited with my daughter last weekend and did the tour (campus is mostly virtual but they are still doing tours). My daughter was very impressed with the campus and it went way up on her list. Whitman students seem to be more rounded than Reed students, equally bright but perhaps not so single-mindedly academic. Judging from the Whitman alums I have met, it has the most loyal alumni network of any school I’m aware of.

2 Likes

Wesleyan, Brandeis, Middlebury?

1 Like

Circling back – Haverford is a collaborative but intellectual community. It has smaller number of students than its peers, but with full academic (and student orgs etc) cooperation with Bryn Mawr College, that expands the student community size. Quaker tradition with the Honor Code which emphasizes mutual respect and consideration leads to autonomy and student-led governance – plus self-scheduled exams which is such a wonderful benefit. Haverford doesn’t have football or greek life, so while there are plenty of student athletes, it’s not a “jocky” campus. It’s also known for unpredictable admissions for recruited athletes as compared to its peer schools, so the athletes are there because they want to be at Haverford. Also, relatively easy travel in and out, with train to Philly and then a separate train to Philly airport.

Grinnell is another one of my favorite schools, such deep engagement and commitment, again in a warm, open, collaborative community.

1 Like

He might like Vassar.

Honestly I think many LACs would be a good fit. Participation in sports is a larger percentage of the student population but it’s different from a rah rah sports environment. Going to games isn’t really a focus.

1 Like

It is so helpful to have this forum to ask these questions! And get so many detailed answers. Thank you, all. :smile:

-Vassar is on his list!
-Reed was for a while, but I think he thought he wouldn’t fit in. Talked to a friend who goes there (who loves it, but I guess he is quite different than my kid).
-Wesleyan makes sense to me. I’ll have him look at it. We toured there for our older child.
-Middlebury: is it in the prep-schoolish category?
-Brandeis: will check it out!
-Haverford: this one needs to go on his list.

I’m remembering now why he rejected a few places that are coming up. He is partial to being in a city bc we live in one. Plus, I personally would like being able to get there and back easily (I went to a college at least an hour’s drive from the nearest airport and it was such a pain). This is not a deal breaker, but it is a small consideration.

Pomona and/or Pitzer. Agree with Haverford, Wesleyan, Carleton. Maybe URochester, which my daughter described (after touring both) as being “like Brown without the attitude, and with better music.”

2 Likes

Middlebury is more crunchy/outdoors/sustainability than it is prep schoolish. But if you can share the specific concerns about prep life posters here can be more specific. But it is most definitely not in a city.

Carnegie Mellon maybe? Its on my son’s list for musical theater and that got me looking closer at the school for non-science stuff and its pretty amazing.

Berkley or Stanford.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Vassar! it has all the elements you mentioned (though I will note that the students work hard- but happily, not competitively, so). Very minimal curriculum requirements, and encouragement to try new things (there is even a ‘Non-Recorded Outcome’ option for students who want to try a course way outside their usual comfort zone). Do a search for “What’s a Must Take Class at Vassar?” & watch the 2 minute video (the next video “What’s a Fact About Vassar?” is also good)

Vassar is already on his list which is why we’ve all stopped mentioning it, collegemom3717…

lol, thanks @Blossom! I started my post right after reading #8 & took so long to write it (well to finish it- got called away), that the thread has almost doubled in length in the meantime!

I agree with @blossom about Middlebury being more outdoorsy. If he likes to hike, camp, and ski, he’d fit in no matter where he went to high school. Same with Williams, Bates, and Bowdoin, IMO. They, along with Haverford, all have pretty similar numbers of participation in sports, but it’s more of a my-roommate-is-on-the-track-team vibe than tailgating/football.

Vassar a little less sporty since they don’t have a football team at all. The others listed do (I think.) Football has a huge roster. And then to comply with Title 9, a school would need to have an equal-ish number of women in sports. I’m going to guess that the biggest roster at Vassar Men’s Athletics is probably track. So, again, different vibe.

Actually this website might be helpful when it comes to figuring out what %age of students are in varsity sports: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

Wes is easy to fly in and out of Hartford CT.

Middlebury has a well known divide between athletes and non-athletes.

Middlebury has lots of preppy students, lots of athletes, and a sizeable group of granola crunchy types.

The school that you are seeking may be Grinnell College in Iowa.

Also consider Macalester College in Minnesota for a liberal, social justice type atmosphere somewhat similar to Haverford College.

1 Like

The idea the better NE colleges are dominated by preppy types is just out of date. There will be some, but plenty of other types. You find more preppy at some of the less difficult colleges to get into.

You’re getting some fine suggestions here. Progressive, kids with varied interests, kids who get involved, mutual respect. But also there for a solid education.

Bates and Colby are not easy to get to, from out of the area. Bowdoin’s a little easier, closer to Portland.

If travel’s a concern, look at the airport situation. I remember a Carleton session where the AO described flying to Chicago, connecting to Minneapolis, then a bus ride to Northfield, then the taxi. Many schools make it easier on breaks, hire a bus to some logical city or airport. But who knows what’s up with covid.

Bates has a very strong commitment to community engagement. Opportunities in local politics or advocacy.