Seeking opinions on big and hot state flagships (UGA, UT Austin, UF)

Wow, that’s beautiful!

2 Likes

So if you have a poli sci from UT or UGA or UF, what will be your outcome difference?

Now - all three will have access to or place internships maybe in different areas - whether for a politician, local govt., agency, private company or maybe even unrelated to politics - my daughter interviewed for a Claims Adjuster intern position today - because with a poli sci degree…it’s hard.

Let’s say UT is more prestigious - and I’m not truly sure it’s the case - but I’ll concede that.

How does it change the outcome of what the student is doing? Other than the situational of what she may find via a school, I’m not sure the answer is anything meaningful.

I would contend presige is not an issue here.

2 Likes

But this is CC! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The UF summer requirement can be fulflled with study abroad. A fun option for most.

1 Like

Maybe but a mid may want to work or not go abroad.

Simply noting to OP it exists. Many don’t realize.

For some it might remove it from consideration.

I know this is true but it still seems really strange to me. Why do they require online classes? Are they the only major university to do this or am I just old and it’s now a trend at most schools.

+1

In polisci circles the difference is not meaningful.

1 Like

UW alum here. Beautiful campus for sure, but Seattle’s weather definitely wears on many. We finally had to leave Seattle because of it. The cold and rain seemingly goes on for about 9 months a year. Also Seattle’s homeless problem has skyrocketed to point where the U-district can feel unsafe at times.

They aren’t required, but sometimes it is all that is offered for a particular class. Even before COVID, many entry level business classes were online. Florida’s 9 credit summer course requirement is different than the online classes referred to above.

Many big universities offer some classes online. Cal has classes with more students admitted than there are seats in the auditorium know that some student will watch online.

I think all her options are good and she should pick the school she likes best. If that’s UGA over UF, great. If it is UCSB, you’ll figure out a way to get there (and it is a beautiful campus and town). For me, I’m picking UCSB or UW because of the ocean. The other are all hot and not near the ocean.

1 Like

Austin’s weather wore on me, ha. That’s why I moved to Maine. When I was visiting my family mid-October, it got up to 97 a couple of days. So it is important to think about what kind of weather you can tolerate. I do fine when it’s zero. Not fine above 90.

1 Like

Oh for sure! We left Seattle to live in Austin and I’ll tell you, I can tolerate the heat much better than the damp cold. My son is going to school up in Cambridge and has already decided there is NO WAY he will settle up north. He is having a very rough time with the winters there.

1 Like

I thought you moved to Maine because no one was hiring engineers and a firm there took a chance on you and hubby. Yes I pay attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re good! We had a chance to work in New Mexico. I decided I’d rather live in the cold than the heat. If we had stayed in Austin after college, I don’t think I would have lasted long there.

6 Likes

my kid wants sunshine. I don’t think Seattle is a good choice for her. appreciate that info.

Sure, some years the gray stretches for a little too long, but it’s not 9 months. I would put the summers and falls in the PNW up against any weather region, and the days get longer and nicer in the spring as well. We’ve had a stretch of wonderful May weather for the last several years. And in recent years we seem to be getting more of those clear sky and cold weather winter days to boot. The way I would describe our winters for those in the northeast is to compare it to upstate NY but without the severity … it can be as gray as upstate but it rarely gets that cold and we don’t get the snow or sleet that you get upstate. The thing I love about New England is the prevalence of clear and cold days. I can take the cold if I can see the sky.

But, yes, if you like heat there are better choices.

The UF online classes myth is the Loch Ness Monster of this website. Before Covid, there were a couple of freshman business courses that had a video option because there were too many students for the lecture hall. Now, people make it sound like you can graduate from UF in 4 years and never walk in a classroom. All of it is baseless. I have a family member who is a Sophomore at UF. He and his best friend have very different majors. Neither has had a single online class.

1 Like

not a UF student but we visited recently for a tour and we also got the impression that the online class thing is overhyped, pertains mainly to entry level business classes if it happens at all, and is not always something kids mind anyway.

Georgia recently has been swingier in presidential and senate elections than the other two states, so a political science major may have more to observe in Georgia than the other two states.

However, the student in this thread is a likely political science major.

If the student enrolls at University of Washington and does want to change majors, note that many majors require competitive admission to the major: http://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/degree-overview/majors/list-of-undergraduate-majors/

it’s the only major university to require it AFAIK.
The reason is the same as for the summer credit requirement: to spread out the student population. This way there’s no need to add new sections during Fall/Spring. It also manages any over enrollment issues. For this reason, it may not apply to her major but both the summer req and the online classes exist so need to be kept in mind.
Other universities may offer a choice of online classes v. F2F but UF is pretty unique in the way it does this. OTOH, other universities simply keep students from registering in some classes. =

1 Like