Seeking School Suggestions for Private High - Hidden Gems and Safety Schools

Also to add onto this when I mentioned my quarter 1 math grade for this year which is going to be terrible, they told me they understood my situation that my teacher just graduated from college and this is her first year teaching, and how hard it is. My interviewer told me that they’ll try to convince the other committee members to overlook the fact because I never had a private tutor or a class in my life, and that all my math achievements (Top 500 out of 75k kids from the US, China, Russia, etc and top scorer in my school math team in 10+ years) were by myself and myself studying. So I don’t know whether to be scared about my math grade in this school.

What are your guys thoughts?

I think you should stop obsessing about everything and instead just try to put your best self forward. If the music folks like you, it will be an advantage; however, if other good violinists in the applicant pool have more consistent grades, they may get the nod. So, in other words, some of this is really out of your control; it depends partly on who else applies.

More generally, in application processes like these and in life in general, you’d be wise to avoid comparing the entire you against some ideal other. Put another way, don’t compare your insides to somebody else’s ideal outside. Every applicant will have stronger and weaker aspects to their applications. Whatever happens with this process for you, you’ll end up at a good high school and will do fine, I’m sure.

7 Likes

This question isn’t really related to the question I had when I made this thread, but if I got a few more awards like a State Assembly Man award and a few more other national/international music awards should I add them in? If so where? I can’t find any place to do it. Should I email them?

And theres a chance that I can squeeze in a few more awards so should I wait until January something to submit them all?

To add onto this I got a 139 score for the AMC 10, which will probably qualify for AIME and for DHR (top 1%) for AMC 10, should I mention my score during interviews and should I add them?

Yes I definitely would. You can add that in additional info section.

I have another question not regarding this topic, but I might be switching math teachers soon (not switching level of class) but teachers because of several factors (not teaching us correctly with proper notes, giving test questions she never taught us, rolling her eyes and telling students to go away and ask someone else when asked a question, telling kids that they couldn’t use outside material even though the top students use outside material during class, I could go on so if you want more just message me, etc). So I was considering asking a LOR from my Physics teacher since she knows me pretty well. Is that fine?

CSW does have a small endowment, but they do their best to meet the financial need of the students that they really want. Under the current head of school they have become a lot more aware of other needs students on financial aid have beyond merely tuition and room and board.

CSW is one of the few schools that uses the module system. My child has used this to take more than one year’s worth of math during a year. One module long off campus studies are also possible.

Some people love the module system. Some hate it. The detractors are convinced that no one can thrive under such a system, especially math and foreign language studies. I beg to differ, but acknowledge that it’s not for everyone. “One size fits most” is not just true for socks and gloves.

CSW does not have a swim program; their pool is outdoors. CSW likes to encourage the performance arts. They do not have an orchestra. They do have ensembles. And they have in the past partnered with NEC Preparatory School.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this.

Closing. New comments can be put on the user’s chance thread.

1 Like